Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 04:54 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post

I'll suggest that life sentences, and the mere notion of stuffing people into a 6x8 room for decades at a time, is 'cruel and unusual'. I'll put forth a different model, and since long term prison sentences (and prisons themselves) are a rather new innovation, there's really no long history of this kind of thing.

First off, mostly empty the prisons. Crimes can be split into several cohorts:

. Things that shouldn't be illegal (drug law is rife with this kind of thing). No crime.
. Things that result in a fine (most financial crime for one thing, making people poor is a pretty appropriate concept in a lot of cases)
. Corporal punishment (caning is a brilliant solution for some offenses).
. Hanging or firing squad. One conviction, one appeal, sayonara if guilty. Yes, some innocent people get killed.

What you might be left with is a small number of crimes that fall between the cracks, and with a much much smaller prison population, the increased guard to prisoner ratio would result in less violence and a more controlled situation. This is not intended for long term sentences.

Of course, a lot of the public views prison rape as a perfectly acceptable punishment for bad people, so there's not much to be done about the perversity of the American public.

Prison is a rather new innovation? What about dungeons, bastille and other ways those convicted of crimes served a sentence handed to them - usually hard labor for years or until the person died? How about POW camps?

The other things you mention are deterrents - something sorely missing today. How much recidivism would thee be if those who served time knew what awaited them behind the walls? Do you you think others would wan to serve time after hearing how nice it isn't?

As for a prisoner wanting to off himself....I offer the same device I would to those who wish to commit suicide - hey, it's their choice, who is the victim?

I propose a guillotine that doesn't function unless the person in question knowingly trips the mechanism that decapitates them quickly/painlessly. Make it so the body is pushed into a box to be cremated and the device then self cleans itself.

Too many people are concerned about how those convicted of real crime are treated. If they aren't beaten, starved or psychologically damaged by their handlers, who cares?
Those who haven't committed a violent or victimless crime needn't be locked up in a zoo atmosphere. Those who are better learn to live with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 04:55 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Most prisoners feel like it's that long now.

I think the American populate is willfully ignorant on what it's like in a prison. Let's say I went to prison for 5 years, had access to TV, my own room with a comfortable bed, and decent food; it would still be miserable. The loss of freedom IS the punishment. We don't need to make it worse by purposely tormenting them because of some sick vindictive revenge complex we have. I don't care how nice the facility is, if I'm told I can't leave it for 5 years or lead a normal life for that time, I'd hate every minute of it, as would most people.
Many people believe prisoners don't desevere anything other than 3 hots and a cot. The "extras" are bought through commissary (a "store" where inmates can purchase things) when family and friends put money in their account. Allowing prisoners ouside in a confined area allows them to get fresh air and release pent-up energy.

The limited freedom they have is nothing compared to being in society as a law-abiding citizen.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:45 PM

428 posts, read 344,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Prison is a rather new innovation? What about dungeons, bastille and other ways those convicted of crimes served a sentence handed to them - usually hard labor for years or until the person died? How about POW camps?
I probably don't have to define what the words 'relatively new' mean, but the notion of prison is actually a kind of new fangled idea.

I do hate quoting wiki, but it seems the easiest thing to do in this case:

"Incarceration as a form of criminal punishment is "a comparatively recent episode in Anglo-American jurisprudence," according to historian Adam J. Hirsch.Before the nineteenth century, sentences of penal confinement were rare in the criminal courts of British North America"

Old 04-19-2015, 05:47 PM

428 posts, read 344,263 times
Quote:

Too many people are concerned about how those convicted of real crime are treated. If they aren't beaten, starved or psychologically damaged by their handlers, who cares?
lol. You'd be surprised how little it takes to end up in pokey for quite a long time. I'll mark you down in the 'pro prison rape' category.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:05 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,542 times
I'm not sure, but if we want to reduce prison overcrowding, we need to A) stop arresting people for stupid stuff like using drugs and B) not allow prisons to be privatized. Jackholes making money on full prison beds is definitely not good for society.

6 Shocking Revelations About How Private Prisons Make Their Money | Alternet

Old 04-19-2015, 07:03 PM

865 posts, read 1,076,970 times
Free will is an illusion and therefore, one can never be truly morally responsible for one's actions. This means that punishment for crimes should be as humane as possible, whilst still keeping the general population safe. Prisoners should have the right to commit suicide peacefully, and so should the rest of the population.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:51 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Should prisoners who receive life sentences without parole be given access to some sort of drug like the one Brittany Maynard took to end her own life? Is life in prison actually worse than the death penatly itself? It seems very expensive to take care of prisoners and if they want to commit suicide, why shouldnt we let them and possibly even assist in the process? I am all for it and think that people with life sentences should be allowed and even encouraged to off themselves whenever they please. It would help bring costs and overcrowding down.

This was brought to light by Aaron Hernandez recently being placed on suicide watch after being convicted and sentenced without parole. I find it absurd that a prisoner would be placed on suicide watch. Why should we prevent prisoners from committing suicide?
I think they should have to rot there for life, no taking the easy way out, the reason they want to do it is because the alternative (life in prison) is not as good. Make them suffer the alternative.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:55 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,039 times
I've actually been thinking about this recently. I support the right to die in any case. I am opposed to the death penalty as punishment just because of the lack of information we have about what happens after death. No one has even been executed and lived to tell the story, so we can't decide if it's an humane punishment or not. However, all prisoners should be given the option to end their life. If it's their own decision, I see no problem with it. If they fear death and would rather spend the rest of their life in a tiny room, then prison it is for them.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:00 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
Free will is an illusion and therefore, one can never be truly morally responsible for one's actions. This means that punishment for crimes should be as humane as possible, whilst still keeping the general population safe. Prisoners should have the right to commit suicide peacefully, and so should the rest of the population.
Not sure if I agree with how you got to that conclusion, but I agree with the conclusion.

Free will aside, punishment should always be humane. If the system that is supposed to enact justice is cruel and vile, then it's not just.

And to the people talking about how these people deserve to rot... you are not good people. You are no better than the people in prison. Moral people do not want revenge, they want justice. Justice should not be making people suffer because it feels good.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:50 PM

387 posts, read 356,292 times
Quote:

The other things you mention are deterrents - something sorely missing today. How much recidivism would thee be if those who served time knew what awaited them behind the walls? Do you you think others would wan to serve time after hearing how nice it isn't?

As for a prisoner wanting to off himself....I offer the same device I would to those who wish to commit suicide - hey, it's their choice, who is the victim?

I propose a guillotine that doesn't function unless the person in question knowingly trips the mechanism that decapitates them quickly/painlessly. Make it so the body is pushed into a box to be cremated and the device then self cleans itself.

Those who haven't committed a violent or victimless crime needn't be locked up in a zoo atmosphere. Those who are better learn to live with it.
Violent crime is at historic lows you nincompoop! So apparently something IS working....This is the least violent generation in human history..

As the famous quote goes "Everyone complains about things getting worse while things always get better."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates