Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 08:44 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times

Advertisements

Some people just don't get it...

Go to a restaurant, look at the menu, place your order.

Nothing could be simpler.

Don't try to engage the waitress in a conversation. Don't ask a lot of dumb questions (those with food allergies are a notable exception) that are already answered for you by looking at the menu. She has a lot of other tables to take care of besides yours.

Eat, pay, be on your way.

Ciao.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:48 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
Well, fellow CD citizens, this might be the worst one yet! A nice couple had been eating at Red Lobster for 31 years, and then the husband passed away. When the lady went back to the restaurant, the staff at Red Lobster wrote her a nice note and comped her meal. So nice, right?

But guess WHO thought that was unfair, and ranted about it? Yep, Springs1 in her alter ego 'asprings131'.

Server Surprises Widow Dining Without Husband On Their Wedding Anniversary - IYCATT.COM

Wow.

I am just speechless.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:01 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I read some of Spring's comments on this story.

I think she might be on the spectrum. OP, have you ever been evaluated for autism or Asperger's?

In those comments, she says she's only been shown kindness 2 times (and she turned one away). That is just not normal behavior - hence my suggestion to get evaluated by a mental health professional.
This keeps popping in my head, too. I really know nothing about the spectrum, so I didn't want to throw my opinion out there.

Whether it's that or something else, there's something that's not right. Even the worst of trolls don't focus on the same topic for 10+ years.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:08 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Some people just don't get it...

Go to a restaurant, look at the menu, place your order.

Nothing could be simpler.

Don't try to engage the waitress in a conversation. Don't ask a lot of dumb questions (those with food allergies are a notable exception) that are already answered for you by looking at the menu. She has a lot of other tables to take care of besides yours.

Eat, pay, be on your way.

Ciao.

Right? Hubs and I go out to eat more than we probably should, and we very rarely have problems. The last time that I remember having a horrible restaurant experience was over a year ago in Las Vegas. Other than that, everything usually goes just fine. If a server forgets to bring my BBQ sauce or my extra glass of water to go with my booze, I just remind him/her, and the situation is remedied right away. It's really not a big deal at all.

I just don't understand what all of this is about...and to see page after page of Google search results involving this nonsense is just...amazing. Wow.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:26 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,155,192 times
This is the same poster who once ranted angrily about servers announcing their name to the table (clearly just strict restaurant policy in those places), right? The escalating intensity is the same, anyway.

There's literally nothing anyone can say. I'm sorry for her (and the unlucky souls in whose section she sits).

Edit: a few pages back (I seriously don't know why I'm still reading this) OP says - "I think about it afterwards for hours, days, weeks, and even years later. It's everything in my life."

Yes. We can tell. At least that's a tiny bit of recognition that this is more about her extreme reaction to the alleged offense than the offense itself.

Last edited by Mimidae; 05-06-2015 at 09:34 AM..

Old 05-06-2015, 09:29 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,001 times
OP presents as one of the 'I, Me, My' individuals we all do our best to avoid.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:34 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
This is the same poster who once ranted angrily about servers announcing their name to the table (clearly just strict restaurant policy in those places), right? The escalating intensity is the same, anyway.

There's literally nothing anyone can say. I'm sorry for her (and the unlucky souls in whose section she sits).
Thera a nice local place near us which puts a large sheet of white paper over the table after each guest. When the waitperson comes to the table he/she pulls a crayon out of their pocket and writes their name on the paper while they are introducing themselves. Since they are standing at the head of the table, they have to write it upside down so it will be readable to the diners. It's kinda fun, and we always marvel at the ability to write upside down. Sometimes after the waitperson leave we try writing our own names that way. Nice clean fun, and a cute little hello from your waitperson.

I'm sure, Springs1, that you would deem this a complete waste of your time and all that in excess are friendliness from the waitperson a total sham to increase their tip.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:35 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,673,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
This keeps popping in my head, too. I really know nothing about the spectrum, so I didn't want to throw my opinion out there.

Whether it's that or something else, there's something that's not right. Even the worst of trolls don't focus on the same topic for 10+ years.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I'm actually feeling a bit guilty for even posting here, as I think it's clear that some form of mental illness is involved, and no one deserves criticism for that. But on the other hand, it's hard for me to grasp any kind of mental state that would actually manifest itself this way, so completely devoid of grasping how inappropriate her behaviors and comments are. If EVERYONE is telling you something is wrong with how you view something, yet you decide that everyone else is STUPID and LAZY, DUHHHHHH!!!!!......well, I've never encountered such a condition IRL or academically.

But then on the other hand (ok, I'm up to 3 hands), I have to assume that springs finds these exchanges enjoyable, and maybe arguing on the internet is just about the only pleasure she has in her life. In that case, are we being helpful or harmful by continuing to engage her and to criticize her comments?

And yes, I kind of feel bad talking about her as if she is not here (Yes Springs1, I know you are here and reading this. I intend no malice.). It would truly make for an interesting, and hopefully insightful, topic over on the psychology thread if any CDers are psychiatritsts, therapists, etc. Not sure if we are allowed to actually start a thread for the purpose of discussing a particular CD poster.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:52 AM

367 posts, read 457,838 times
Looking at the comments, if she wanted to express her opinion (even if a strange opinion) then fine. To me the fact that she needed to respond to just about everyone's comment saying just about the same thing, she just doesn't want other people to be happy.

We have the Pioneer Press in St. Paul, MN to blame. They gave this women a job as a restaurant critic, thus feeding her ego. She got free meals paid for by the paper (which is acknowledged in her goodbye piece), which in retrospect is funny given how she complains about four-cent overcharges and others getting free meals, when she is actually quite ahead of the game in meals that she didn't personally pay for. She says she had the job for 17 years, so she had plenty of time to build up her ego and think she was a more important customer because she worked for a paper. Her twitter page lists her occupation still as former food critic at the Pioneer Press, something she was let go/bought out from in 2012. It seems to have been in 2011 where the connection between her online persona and her real life identity was made, and the Pioneer Press likely did not care for that.

Now, because she probably can't get something else along these lines, we get these rants more so. If she's miserable, then she's gonna do her best to make sure we are all miserable. After knowing this, I haven't engaged her other then witty remarks. She's in the denial stage now that she has issues and probably will be for a while; making an already mean person become even more miserable.

In the long run, Kathie, this is not healthy. I know you won't think about it now, but I hope you do at some point.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:57 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,731,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
Looking at the comments, if she wanted to express her opinion (even if a strange opinion) then fine. To me the fact that she needed to respond to just about everyone's comment saying just about the same thing, she just doesn't want other people to be happy.

We have the Pioneer Press in St. Paul, MN to blame. They gave this women a job as a restaurant critic, thus feeding her ego. She got free meals paid for by the paper (which is acknowledged in her goodbye piece), which in retrospect is funny given how she complains about four-cent overcharges and others getting free meals, when she is actually quite ahead of the game in meals that she didn't personally pay for. She says she had the job for 17 years, so she had plenty of time to build up her ego and think she was a more important customer because she worked for a paper. Her twitter page lists her occupation still as former food critic at the Pioneer Press, something she was let go/bought out from in 2012. It seems to have been in 2011 where the connection between her online persona and her real life identity was made, and the Pioneer Press likely did not care for that.

Now, because she probably can't get something else along these lines, we get these rants more so. If she's miserable, then she's gonna do her best to make sure we are all miserable. After knowing this, I haven't engaged her other then witty remarks. She's in the denial stage now that she has issues and probably will be for a while; making an already mean person become even more miserable.

In the long run, Kathie, this is not healthy. I know you won't think about it now, but I hope you do at some point.
Do you really think Kathie and Springs1 are one in the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates