Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 09:53 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
If no one had guns, we wouldn't need them.
What an ignorant statement!

If nobody (including law enforcement and the military) had guns, We the People would still need guns because criminals would still use other weapons to commit acts of violence.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:59 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Do any other nations' citizens have this "right?"
In Switzerland, males between the ages of 20 and 30 serve in the military and keep their military-issued firearms in their homes. Switzerland has one of the wold's highest rates of gun ownership and lowest rates of gun crime. In 2010, Switzerland had only 40 homicides by gun.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:08 PM

286 posts, read 262,530 times
Switzerland also lacks that a couple of demographic groups that the US happens to have.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:12 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,889,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
There was a certain feel in the gun buy up after Sandy Hook that people might need them to protect themselves against their government.

Taking it from that standpoint and other affairs, such as the aborted western land grab, in spirit anyhow, there is quite a reason for the 2nd Amendment in this day and age.

Secondly, either A or B. A: Other countries, their affairs, handle them as you wish and the US will handle theirs. B: If not such as that is not the purpose of this debate and perhaps my comment is out of line since I am in the United States, then I submit that any suggestion by the OP about how things should be done is also out of line since they are local as well.

A and B.

A: As civilians, the following applies: "Now that you can carry a gun, don't go anyplace you expect that you will need a gun at.". Ie, if we think we need a gun someplace because there will be trouble, we are expected to avoid that place.

The reason why one carries a gun as often as they can so if a shooting situation does result, that day started like any other day, there was no premeditation involved. One wants to avoid the following situation, if it came to it: "So, Ms. Ounce, on the day of the event, you feared my client's son, so you strapped on your gun, so you could shoot him when he came into your office.". Of course, "that's not the way it was planned", but the opposing lawyer will try to show premeditation, try to put that interpretation into the minds of the jury.

So, to avoid that, the carrying of a gun is done as much as it can be legally, so one day started off no different than any other day.

B: One's tactics will always be different to some degree against an opposing force that can fight back vs one that can't fight back. Further, one adjusts their tactics to use what they have at their best advantage and not the enemy's best advantage. So to say the 2nd amendment is useless considering the modern US Army is not quite true. History, be it distant or recent, can show that a weaker enemy against a modern or greater force can play havoc if they pick their battles right.

Russia vs Afghanistan comes to mind as does the France vs Vietnam....the Vietnamese were using bows and arrows at times; that's how rudimentary they were.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:33 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,409,173 times
Hitchhiking Robot Lasts Just Two Weeks in US Because Humans Are Terrible

One small, very small example that in my opinion is a good representation of a larger problem. I say this because this robot went fine through other countries, yet two weeks in the US and it gets destroyed.

I love the whole "guns are the problem" stupid talk. It is not the guns, it is the people. Take away the 2nd and people will still have and use guns, just as they use illegal drugs. Guns are easily made, as they come off the market, illegal factories would be set up making one 1-4 shot specials. Ammo is no problem, again, easily made, as easy if not more so than some drugs on the market.

But you know who would not have any guns? People who actually obey the law.
You know who would have gun? People who do not care about the law, which by the way, are the current people who are using guns to murder people.

Tell me, when the assault weapon ban expired, did murders skyrocket? Or better yet, murders by assault weapons?

Old 08-02-2015, 07:33 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
A question for the "Background Check" aficionados:
Of the highly publicized mass (or other) shootings over the last five years, how many of the perpetrators bought their guns LEGALLY, by passing the background check and making a legal purchase?
How many perps got their guns ILLEGALLY, by theft?
How many people have been prosecuted for making an untrue statement on the Background Check questionnaire?

Old 08-02-2015, 08:11 AM

33 posts, read 27,489 times
I find it odd that you can buy a weapon on every corner but that a surprise-egg is forbidden. The chocolate-eggs contain a tube with a small present, a treat for a toddler. So forbidden for everyone to combine a candy with a toy. But really a weapon in the house of that same toddler is ok. If read many times that a small child gets shot at home because they play with daddy's toy. I never read that a child was killed because of a surprise-egg. I can't understand it. Legal huntinggear is very restricted here and most of it is licensed. There just a couple of them free to hold but it is not common to have. My protection has good teeth...

Old 08-02-2015, 08:33 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaniem View Post
I find it odd that you can buy a weapon on every corner but that a surprise-egg is forbidden. The chocolate-eggs contain a tube with a small present, a treat for a toddler. So forbidden for everyone to combine a candy with a toy. But really a weapon in the house of that same toddler is ok. If read many times that a small child gets shot at home because they play with daddy's toy. I never read that a child was killed because of a surprise-egg. I can't understand it. Legal huntinggear is very restricted here and most of it is licensed. There just a couple of them free to hold but it is not common to have. My protection has good teeth...
Let's consider that last item for a moment.

I have nothing against dogs; in fact, I look forward to when the ranch is built having one or two again. What is, however, the required "infrastructure" for properly having a dog?

For decades, I said I would not get a dog as long as I lived in an apartment because that would be unkind to the dog. Too small and a dog needs frequent walks if not a decent backyard. Further, that is just talking about a small dog. For a dog that is as much of its bark in its bite, one really needs to have someone who will exercise the dog with quite a few miles daily.

So, when someone says, "Get a dog,", does their suggestion come with everything that having a dog involves (and I haven't even touched on food/Vet bills).

There is another issue to the dog as well. How many children get bit because they don't understand animals? This may be humor but I don't find it so funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMIhL63KPxw

Now, we might say, "Well, at least the child didn't die, wasn't seriously injured (for purposes here, let's say they weren't)."..............but what about the animal? One of my greatest fears as a pet owner (cats) is that there might be a "misunderstanding" between one of my cats and a child and the order will come around to put the cat down.

It's not as easy as one might want to put it. After all, a dog can be seen as a mobile defence system with its own programming that is not necessarily completely understood by humans and its own self protection weaponry. In that potential light, rather makes the gun something of a pea shooter.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:12 AM

16,551 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
No, that wasn't the main reason, which was for security - not rebellion. "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I've noticed in the last 30 or so years that this delusion seems to be the main reason gun extremists (who believe in no regulation whatsoever) have become so frantic about seizing the leadership of the NRA and forcing a hard turn to the right, in order to defeat even the most sensible govt regulations. It seems to be related to the idea that liberals are stealing their money through taxes and want to forcibly seize all weapons in order to make that easier ..... they are angry that people have voted in liberal politicians, and they want to "take back our country" from the "lazy moochers". To do that, they feel that they need as many guns and other weapons as possible.

Read the actual writings of those who penned the Constitution, not the re-interpretation of the leftists. Read what was the very definition of the militia was back when they wrote it!

Also I would not that if the citizens who are empowered to run the country via our Constitutional Republic were to need to take arms against a tyrannical government, they would not be engaged in a "rebellion" as you put it. Instead, it would be a rebellion by those entrusted to uphold the Constitution, and the citizens would be abiding by the Constitution to keep it intact from enemies, BOTH foreign and domestic.

`

Old 08-02-2015, 11:20 AM

16,551 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
That's an interesting graph. It shows all the civilized and uncivilized countries and makes it clear that the uncivilized ones, such as the USA, have a much higher gun homicide rate than the civilized ones.
Wow, if I wanted to be PC like your ilk typically are, I'd say that was a racist comment casting aspersions at people of color be classifying them all as "uncivilized".
But since I am not infected with PC, I wont do that. Instead I will come up with a comment which undoubtedly will set off your PC alarm bells.
Much of our gun related crime and especially murder rates are associated from the slums/inner cities. Take those stats out of the mix, and suddenly the gun related crimes drop dramatically.
One could say that the civilized parts of America where gun ownership is at an all time high, was very low. Conversely, the gun crime per capita in the slums would be approaching the top of what you termed "uncivilized" societies.
But then you likely wouldn't make such a comment, for fear of being labeled a racist among your own ilk for calling people of color "uncivilized".

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates