Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 11:29 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
People keep saying the UK has more violent crime than the US. That's how people support their idea that guns reduce violence. But they use distorted statistics. In the UK they count harassment as a violent crime, but not in the USA. If your neighbor's dog barks all night, and keeps you awake, and you call the police about it, you're likely to report it as harassment.
Politifact looked into this and found that even when the violent crime rate is adjusted to include only "violence against the person, with injury," "most serious sexual crime," and "robbery", Britian and Wales had a violent crime rate twice that of the United States.

Quote:
Guns don't reduce violence. They increase it, and often cause it. If you're in a heated argument, and both parties have guns, you're motivated to hurry and shoot, not only because of the argument, but also because of fear that the other party will shoot first. And a lot of criminals shoot their victims. Not only because the criminal has a gun, but also because the criminal is scared that the victim might have a gun too. I remember one carjacking where the kid who did it actually shot the driver before even getting in the car. The kid was scared that the driver might have a gun, and wanted to take him by surprise, by shooting first. That's the ultimate gun nut. We need to get rid of that kind of person, by getting rid of their access to guns.
So how is my not having a gun going to prevent that kid from shooting me if he fears I might have a gun?

Old 08-02-2015, 11:45 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
No, that wasn't the main reason, which was for security - not rebellion. "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
How can the security of a free state not include the means to defend it against a tyrannical government? Obviously that concern had to be foremost in their minds as it was written shortly after the colonies rebelled against the King.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:04 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
How can the security of a free state not include the means to defend it against a tyrannical government? Obviously that concern had to be foremost in their minds as it was written shortly after the colonies rebelled against the King.
It's curious this remark given how much of a police state the US have become.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:20 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Its amusing to me hearing people who aren't from here and have never been here who are bothered by our gun laws than we are i don't even understand why they care in the first place lol

Old 08-02-2015, 01:21 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
It's curious this remark given how much of a police state the US have become.
Cool i live in a police state now? oh please tell me more!

Old 08-02-2015, 01:34 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its amusing to me hearing people who aren't from here and have never been here who are bothered by our gun laws than we are i don't even understand why they care in the first place lol
99,9 of posters here are Americans...
Read the title before posting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Cool i live in a police state now? oh please tell me more!
Perhaps the most extensive surveillance apparatus in the Western world?

Old 08-02-2015, 02:20 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,193,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
All people have the right to life.
Depends on whether the right to life is an endowment of one's Creator -or- a government granted 'human right.'

In most other nations, people are subjects, and their lives are subject to the government.
Any nation that has compulsory military service is denying liberty and life to those compelled to train, fight, and die on command.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:03 PM

33 posts, read 27,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Let's consider that last item for a moment.

What is, however, the required "infrastructure" for properly having a dog?

A dog, like a gun, can be selected. There are so many breeds with his own characteristcs and needs. Unfortunatly a lot of people choose the wrong kind of dog. Our dog is a kuvasz, a big watchdog with a strong but not a violent character. My dog has 6300 m2 to guard and watches the chickens. He needs space and a "job" for his mental health. He will not harm our chickens, the wild rabbits who walk on the paddock is a different story... You have to know your pet as you should know to operate a weapon. Kids and dogs are always a risk, you can't assume anything or leave them unattentend together. Just like a weapon. I have teached my daughter (she is 5, the dog is almost 7) that she can't play with the dog his toys, as I teached my dog to leave her belongings where they are. When kids from school come over, I put the dog away in his own cabin with fanced outspace. He will protect our daughter when they play a game, run arround, screams etc. You can't expact that the dog knows the difference between play and real danger with young kids who can't control him. Putting him away is best for both. Common sence is always good, it doesn't mather if your defence has teeth or a bullet in it. But dogs are also a friend and don't increase violence with the same magnitude as guns do.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:31 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Do you know that nearly twice as many deaths by gun in the USA are suicides rather than homicides? It's time for this country to come up with a solution to using medicine for keeping people alive past the point where they are enjoying life.

As far as the question I'd rather it read, "What do other countries think of all the crazy people in the U.S?" because that's the majority of people committing homicide with guns.

Switzerland has a law that all of it's citizens must own a gun and have proper gun training and they have a very stable populace and low homicide rate.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:46 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
"Do any other nations' citizens have this "right?""

Switzerland and Israel come immediately to mind. Both are relatively peaceful and crime free.

If you take Baltimore, Columbus, Detroit, New Orleans, Chicago and South Watts out of the average we are one of the safest countries in the world. Baltimore has a mayor that says the city has to give their citizens "room to destroy".

However, take the averages of those cities and we would look like Mogadishu. People make choices. Governments make choices. Here's a factoid for you: Our jails and prisons are full. Every denizen of the "hoods" knows that. Most people arrested are out within hours. Every arrestee knows that. Every law enforcement officer knows that.

How do we turn it around? Send the alien criminals home. Close the borders. Make room for the truly dangerous criminals who belong in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates