Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 09:59 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,987 times

Advertisements

East Asians - Tight Families Demand Certain Behaviour - High Rate of Success

American Blacks - Destroyed Families Demand Little - Low Rate of Success

Old 07-18-2016, 10:03 AM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
I was thinking about this since yesterday, when I saw your post.
I'd probably narrow it down to this:
- we come without sense of entitlement
- we are not programmed (I'd stay from using the more appropriate word) like Americans
- we are hungry for good life and not afraid to work towards it
- in many cases, we come already well trained and educated, so it's easy to obtain good jobs.

That said, our children already show signs of being not like us. I see this in my sons and in community.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:28 AM

973 posts, read 915,539 times
"Do not be afraid to suffer." That's something my parents always said when I was growing up, and I saw it in their actions as well. They weren't afraid to work hard and definitely did not feel entitled to anything. Everything was worked for, and earned. Nowadays people just go online to set up a Go-Fund-Me account on or wait for someone to bail them out. Nothing worthwhile is given in this world, but unfortunately many people do not see things this way.

What you put it in is what you get out.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:32 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Not true. Intelligence is simply the ability to learn new things. You also must have the ability to use what you learned in an applied way, which is where common sense comes in. Or else you must have someone to help you do this (network) or get really really lucky. History is full of highly intelligent people who worked hard and invented or created something spectacular, but who died poor becasue they didn't have the ability to capitalize on what they created.

Or look to research labs where highly intelligent people slave away (working hard) but never get rich or get the chance to own what they create.

It requires at least three of the items I listed.
I can't keep repping you.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:37 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
As a kid I watched the Japanese here police them selves and see to it the children of their nationality were well behaved they have honor, not just their own children.
they made it clear that each of them represent the whole and it made life worse for every one I they didn't behave.
I never saw Japanese people in trouble ever during that whole time.

As a kid in the 50s, I saw that in the black community as well.

Integration allowed the blacks who learned those lessons to move out of the enforced-segregated enclaves. And even though that's the majority of blacks, they are hardly seen or acknowledged by media because they have assimilated. When the media (and most of the majority) think of "black community" they never think about the middle-class blacks where they work or who they see on their commutes or who live on the same block...they think only of the "hood" blacks because that's all represented by the media.

But those are the ones who have not been able to assimilate, and I suspect that other immigrant populations (given, however, the point made earlier that immigrants represent a cherry-picked sample) have their non-assimilated social "failures" as well.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 07-18-2016 at 11:00 AM..

Old 07-18-2016, 10:54 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
[quote=NigerianNightmare;44797796]^^^^^^
So true, many people keep asking me why Nigerians are so smart but to be honest besides the visa lottery to even qualify for U.S citizenship only people in the top 10 or 20% of the country in terms of wealth and education can migrate to the U.S, here in Nigeria their are so many people who haven't stepped a foot in secondary school (High School).

I believe that. I worked with a lot of them at my last job. They were just lovely to work with and I had great affection for quite a few of them.

I have to agree that education is the key to their success, but I just hired some Hispanics that I had a hard time communicating with to do some concrete work.

Talk about a work ethic. These guys worked so hard for hours and hours of brutal work. The father started the concrete business some ten years ago and managed to survive the recession. I doubt he has a college education.

Then I look at the thug mentality and I shake my head. These people are barely a step above animals and could care less about taking out an innocent child.

There is a difference between ignorance, education, and a great moral fiber with the need to succeed. I believe overcoming ignorance is the biggest obstacle to success. If you want something bad enough, educated or not you can succeed. If you can't get past that thug mentality and just believe you can take whatever you want, then you've doomed yourself to remain ignorant.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:07 AM

610 posts, read 533,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Why do you think some minorities come to this country and are successful in a short time despite great hatred towards them while others are not?

My best guess is they band together for strength before becoming part of the mainstream.

Part II:

Have minorities coming to this country in the past tried harder then some of those do today? Or has the focus changed or just our perspective?

Growing up it seemed the minorities I came in contact made efforts to assimilate and or speak the language (or at least their kids did). Now, especially in parts of LA Mexicans come here and set up areas without seemingly wanting to interact outside of those communities. Which makes little sense to me since presumably they left for the opportunities America affords, yet they've created little slices of what they left. Seems like a lot of effort to go to for a change in scenery/weather.
I have to take issue with this somewhat loaded question. True in centuries past there was hostility to minorities and immigrants, but since the 1965 immigration law that opened the floodgates, I believe most Americans have behaved very well to newcomers, welcomed them and applauded the great success that many have had. The troubles today relate to illegal immigration, a different issue. Immigrants have always flourished in this nation, like no other, because of the environment and opportunities here. Just compare it to most other countries, including Western Europe. I think we, native-born Americans, deserve some credit too.

So the immigrants who come here with the right values and who work hard, will succeed. Just ask my grandparents. Without these traits, native-born of any race or immigrant, will fail.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:43 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Successful immigrant groups tend to share the following in common:
* A high value on education
* A high value on work ethic

Pick what ever group you want. Eastern European Jews. Indians. Vietnamese. Chinese. Japanese. Korean. Russian. In general, those immigrant groups were, or are, statistically very successful. I think a big part of it is that we tended to get their best & brightest and the motivated risk-takers above and beyond their cultural bias towards stressing education and work ethic.

I think the value on education is at least as important as the work ethic. An unskilled person is always going to have a compensation cap because there is such an oversupply of unskilled labor. You can get to the middle class but your children are unlikely to do better than you unless you instill both the education ethic and work ethic into them.

I think that a big chunk of whitebread 'Murica has lost most of that education ethic and work ethic. It's OK to have a nation of Homer Simpson. That's fine. Just don't resent the people who do it right and have the 21st century job skills and the good work ethic.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:49 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Minority and immigrants are two completely different things

Old 07-18-2016, 11:51 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Immigrants from Nigeria, India, Venezuela, etc. are usually the highly educated class that decided to leave the country and has the means to buy a plane ticket to move to the US.

Immigrants from Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras.... are usually the lower class, that decide to jump on a train up to the US-Mexico border and then pay a coyote to get them across the border
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates