Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2016, 11:02 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think its time for you to face the fact that millions of white people voted for that candidate in 2008 and 2012 simply because they thought he was the better candidate. Maybe it offers a clue as to why his approval rating is far higher than that of Congress and why his party's nominee is leading in the race for the presidency this year.
No -- It's just very hard to run against Santa Claus. specially when the Bushes, or anyone else associated with the conservative contingent within the white Establishment can be assigned the role of Scrooge.

But in fairness, it needs to be recognized that not all those within the coalition that propelled Barack Obama into the White House (and the Clintons into a position of great power, which they have abused, and will likely continue to abuse) is that simplistic. Many of them, from all backgrounds, still recognize that participation within what's commonly referred to as "the system" involves responsibility as well as reward -- but not enough, not yet, and maybe not in time to stem the erosion of what has separated the American Experiment from the Old World.

But the problem right now, as this poster (and, I believe, a lot of us who've advanced to a libertarian perspective) sees it, is that it has become very difficult to separate the grain from the chaff. And that offers all sorts of opportunities to the hacks and grafters (epitomized in Obama's and Daley's Chicago) who operate exclusively via manipulation, blind resentments, and appeals to short-sight.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-25-2016 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 01:34 PM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
See the above.
So you deny that a significant portion of old white men are Republicans?

Old 10-25-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, but I notice you left out the most salient question about your cohort: is it wicked??
You know maybe since you live in Maine -- just about the whitest state there is -- your perspective is biased.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:03 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,001,508 times
I hope the history teachers of tomorrow aren't the gullible students who started .."hands up don't shoot" and " shot while handcuffed"

Old 10-25-2016, 09:06 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,909,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You know maybe since you live in Maine -- just about the whitest state there is -- your perspective is biased.
Oh, so now you're a geophobe.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:10 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,463,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i guess it went out the window when people are too lazy to stand for the anthem
Some people, especially seniors, have knee problems so bad that they must stay seated, with hand on heart. I hope you don't include them as "lazy".

Old 10-25-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Oh, so now you're a geophobe.
Are you denying that Maine's Black population, which is 1.2%, one of the very lowest percentages in the nation, may have an effect on how Maine's people look at Black people and culture. Did it ever occur to you that there may be a reason why Black people apparently don't want to live in Maine? You're very White up there.

I mean certainly me spending most of my adult life living in the burbs of "Chocolate City" (D.C.) had an impact on my perception of Black culture and people. Certainly my time living in and visiting Thailand had an impact on my perception of Thai culture and people. Why wouldn't living in an almost all-White state have an impact on your perception of Black culture and people?

How many Black people have you had as guests in your home? How many homes of Black people have you been a guest in? Knowledge of, or lack thereof, of people of a culture certainly affects one's perception of a culture.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:45 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Are you denying that Maine's Black population, which is 1.2%, one of the very lowest percentages in the nation, may have an effect on how Maine's people look at Black people and culture. Did it ever occur to you that there may be a reason why Black people apparently don't want to live in Maine? You're very White up there.

I mean certainly me spending most of my adult life living in the burbs of "Chocolate City" (D.C.) had an impact on my perception of Black culture and people. Certainly my time living in and visiting Thailand had an impact on my perception of Thai culture and people. Why wouldn't living in an almost all-White state have an impact on your perception of Black culture and people?

How many Black people have you had as guests in your home? How many homes of Black people have you been a guest in? Knowledge of, or lack thereof, of people of a culture certainly affects one's perception of a culture.
And just what certification in the Art of Absolute Political Correctness allows you to pass such judgments? And presumably, to spew them from the bully pulpit of a classroom ensconced in the legitimized monopoly of the public sector? Has it ever occurred to you that, just as in the case of a Bible-thumping Fundamentalist, you might occasionally be wrong?

Old 10-26-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And just what certification in the Art of Absolute Political Correctness allows you to pass such judgments? And presumably, to spew them from the bully pulpit of a classroom ensconced in the legitimized monopoly of the public sector? Has it ever occurred to you that, just as in the case of a Bible-thumping Fundamentalist, you might occasionally be wrong?
That's a very entertaining response which didn't answer the question at all.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:14 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,059,290 times
The answer is simple: The Liberals took "Citizenship, Honesty, Morality, Work ethic, Patriotism, Duty, Obligation, Self Sufficiency, and just plain Common Sense and threw them away for their idea of Utopia. And now they want a Queen to lead them down the Primrose Path to final destruction. And I fear they will get their wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates