Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 07:13 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
Maybe people who fear exposing their tender snowflakes to "gasp" different ideas should keep them home and extend home-schooling to the 16th grade, or send their delicate little rosebuds to some kind of private religious school where they teach that Jesus rode dinosaurs or something.
The problem is that different ideas are not tolerated on campuses. Either you march along with "progressive" ideology, or you're a pariah. The left can't tolerate dissent.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:14 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,981 times
Add to that a college degree doesn't get you a foot in the door job anymore. College is a negative ROI. These college kids out protesting have no idea what the real world will be like. There are no jobs for them out there. The first 2-3 years will be a rude awakening.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:17 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
The problem is that different ideas are not tolerated on campuses. Either you march along with "progressive" ideology, or you're a pariah. The left can't tolerate dissent.
Is that really true? Where did you get that idea?

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just asking you for the evidence.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:20 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
Add to that a college degree doesn't get you a foot in the door job anymore. College is a negative ROI. These college kids out protesting have no idea what the real world will be like. There are no jobs for them out there. The first 2-3 years will be a rude awakening.
It definitely depends on the degree. Useful majors in fields like healthcare and engineering are still worthwhile. But it's true that a college degree is far less valuable than it was 20 or 30 years ago.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:24 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,938,534 times
Before college I expected San Francisco style ultra liberal hippies to be my professors. Reality was quite different. Really politics didn't even come up that much. This idea that colleges are liberal echo rooms are more myth than reality. There are anecdotes and links to stories on some website but really it's much more balanced than led to believe.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:28 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
The strange thing about our liberal, leftist universities is that they are constantly complaining about intolerance but only one point of view is allowed on university campuses and that is the liberal view. Try to be a right winger on one of our campuses and it won't go down very well. Show me a right wing professor and it will be an exception to the mass of liberal, leftist professors that populate our universities.
Been to every single university and college, have you? Doesn't sound like it. There are plenty of colleges and universities that aren't liberal. Of course, any public institution has to accept everyone due to laws. Most private also have to follow most of these laws as well because they receive government funds.

Don't like a college or university, don't go there. It's pretty simple. Find a place that suits your tastes. Good luck....college is about learning and opening your mind not closing it.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:18 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,096 times
Quote:
Actually, it's a fact. The college age kids mainly vote Democrat. 20 years later, many turn conservative. Some don't.
So you say. You're still guessing. Stating that you know what today's students may do in the future is speculation. Nothing more.

If this is fact you should be able to prove it.

Quote:
Not only that, but our colleges became the hotbed of Anti-Semitism under the disguise of Anti-Zionism.
"Our colleges" means all colleges in the US to me.

Can you prove that all colleges in the US have become hotbeds of anti-Semitism "under the disguise of Anti-Zionism"?

Old 11-16-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Been to every single university and college, have you? Doesn't sound like it. There are plenty of colleges and universities that aren't liberal. Of course, any public institution has to accept everyone due to laws. Most private also have to follow most of these laws as well because they receive government funds.

Don't like a college or university, don't go there. It's pretty simple. Find a place that suits your tastes. Good luck....college is about learning and opening your mind not closing it.
No, apparently they want to close down/defund/inflict punishment on universities they and their kin never attended and never will attend. That's what Fascists do.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Are you blaming some liberal group-think pack mentality for a supposed lack of acceptance by conservatives on campus? What are you saying? You want special ideological protections for right-wing snowflakes? What happened to the marketplace of ideas?

Old 11-16-2016, 08:49 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
My Statistics teacher was a more right leaning conservative type and I suspect many more of my professors were.

I received my Bachelor's in Business Admin with an emphasis in Accounting and let me tell you there was a diverse mix of Liberal and Conservative beliefs in my graduating class.

The problem is so many older out of touch folks like yourself believe that most young people are only going to universities for Liberal Arts and other such things. And that anyone who is studying the hard sciences are automatically right leaning. You couldn't be more wrong. Then again this is what happen when you politicize every aspect of life.
The Business Department of most universities is often the only semi-conservative place on campus.

I went back for my masters from 2004-2006 (state university). It takes a lot to shock me, but I just could not believe the rot. It was like Kafka-meets-Dilbert!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates