Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 03:02 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,773 times

Advertisements

The strange thing about our liberal, leftist universities is that they are constantly complaining about intolerance but only one point of view is allowed on university campuses and that is the liberal view. Try to be a right winger on one of our campuses and it won't go down very well. Show me a right wing professor and it will be an exception to the mass of liberal, leftist professors that populate our universities.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:10 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I have no idea about universities in general, but if I were an employer, I would be VERY wary of hiring a student or recent graduate from a university that has gained publicity for encouraging Special Snowflake Syndrome in its students.

It is very hard to believe that the professors and administrators are so far removed from "the real world" that they don't know what harm they are doing to their students.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:33 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
The strange thing about our liberal, leftist universities is that they are constantly complaining about intolerance but only one point of view is allowed on university campuses and that is the liberal view. Try to be a right winger on one of our campuses and it won't go down very well. Show me a right wing professor and it will be an exception to the mass of liberal, leftist professors that populate our universities.
My Statistics teacher was a more right leaning conservative type and I suspect many more of my professors were.

I received my Bachelor's in Business Admin with an emphasis in Accounting and let me tell you there was a diverse mix of Liberal and Conservative beliefs in my graduating class.

The problem is so many older out of touch folks like yourself believe that most young people are only going to universities for Liberal Arts and other such things. And that anyone who is studying the hard sciences are automatically right leaning. You couldn't be more wrong. Then again this is what happen when you politicize every aspect of life.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:46 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
The problem is so many older out of touch folks like yourself believe that most young people are only going to universities for Liberal Arts and other such things. And that anyone who is studying the hard sciences are automatically right leaning. You couldn't be more wrong. Then again this is what happen when you politicize every aspect of life.
Perhaps I need new glasses, but I did not see anything in his/her post to indicate that is what the OP thinks.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:09 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,431,751 times
Both my nephews are in college. They are both very conservative and are utterly disgusted by the crap they encounter.

Older nephew, who just left active duty, received an assignment from an English professor, to interview eight women about the key fundamental traits of women. Like that has diddly to do with English.

I suggested he interview 8 female veterans (I was the first one) and completely skew the professor's assumptions...

Old 11-16-2016, 05:37 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I have no idea about universities in general
You and a majority of other conservatives out there.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:41 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Both my nephews are in college. They are both very conservative and are utterly disgusted by the crap they encounter. Older nephew, who just left active duty, received an assignment from an English professor, to interview eight women about the key fundamental traits of women. Like that has diddly to do with English. I suggested he interview 8 female veterans (I was the first one) and completely skew the professor's assumptions...
Another personal anecdote. How predictable.

Tell your snowflake nephews (if they really exist) to toughen up. There are all kinds of people in the world, and college isn't a safe space for conservatives. No bubble for you.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:06 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I am currently reading the book "Brainwashed: How Universities Indoctrinate America's Youth" by Ben Shapiro.

The biggest surprise: that it was published way back in 2004

Old 11-16-2016, 06:09 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
I am currently reading the book "Brainwashed: How Universities Indoctrinate America's Youth" by Ben Shapiro.

The biggest surprise: that it was published way back in 2004
Maybe people who fear exposing their tender snowflakes to "gasp" different ideas should keep them home and extend home-schooling to the 16th grade, or send their delicate little rosebuds to some kind of private religious school where they teach that Jesus rode dinosaurs or something.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:50 PM

18,495 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
Maybe people who fear exposing their tender snowflakes to "gasp" different ideas should keep them home and extend home-schooling to the 16th grade, or send their delicate little rosebuds to some kind of private religious school where they teach that Jesus rode dinosaurs or something.
That.

I was raised in the "safe space" of fundamentalist Christianity, where I was taught that I was a "special snowflake" because I was a "child of God."

When I went to college I had to interact with people of different political persuasions and different religions. No more "safe space" for me. I also learned about evolution, which destroyed the whole "I'm a special child of God" thing.

And no, I was never coddled. I majored in engineering, so I spent most of my time studying math and physics. No "transgender bathroom studies" courses for me.

My point: university life is generally not what Fox News and other far-right media outlets say it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates