Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2016, 05:34 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,022,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Shortly, after taking office it was Republican senate minority leader Mitch McConnell who said that his goal was to make Obama a "one term President". This, he would accomplish by opposing everything the President tried to do.
"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."
-- Mitch McConnell,

He first said that on October 23, 2010, With the nation struggling in the throes of the very depths of the Great Recession, Mitch McConnell could think of nothing more important than business-as-usual partisan hate and hackery. Party first. The country and its people second, if at all. That's the very nature of the GOP and nothing has changed to this day.

Evil has come to America. A return to disgrace and failure cannot be far behind.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:48 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,022,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
There's a problem with the above bolded? Regular people don't count and wasting more tax money on "balls" is good? Geesh.
While there are significant infrastructure costs to the federal and DC governments in terms of things like traffic and crowd control, security, transit, sanitation, and the swearing in ceremonies themselves, balls and other such non-public events are paid for by private donations, in this case from Trump supporters -- the rich and mega-corporations.

Last edited by Pub-911; 12-24-2016 at 06:00 AM..

Old 12-24-2016, 06:20 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
I find this ludicrous.

Personally as I see it, public Schools which are recipients of Federal funding, should ever be able to decide this type thing based on the opinions of their employees.

If parents decided they wouldn't allow their children to travel that would be a different matter.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I'm not so upset by Trump as I am by Trump supporters. They gleefully supported a sociopath with no morals who used a hate campaign to win. They have no morality. They have no honesty. They have no human decency. It gives a great picture of what their lives are like.
Larry, following what you're saying one must ask "what about Hillary supporters" given what the Democrats did to their own? Standards are great as long as they apply to BOTH sides equally.

There are no clean hands in this election, if one is being honest neither side holds anywhere near the moral high ground...

Old 12-24-2016, 07:24 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
...and unfortunately his being elected president erases none of that. Perhaps he will prove to be a respectable and honorable president, but that possible Trump will only have the chance to appear after the inauguration. In the meantime, this is not a guy that kids should be honoring.

It's not about "sore losers," it's about the man's abominable behavior and foul mouth.

... which is all a matter of PERSONAL bias and perspective, not an absolute foregone conclusion or truth .. many of us obviously did NOT hear the same things/see the same things displayed in or by Mr. Trump even when we listened to the exact same words and watched those same actions.

As far as the band goes, I do not think it is right for a band leader to make this decision (if the band is indeed asked to go to the Inauguration festivities). Individual parents of band members might make those decisions themselves and withdraw their child if they so choose - and I suppose that if enough of them did, there would not be a 'viable' band left 'to' go.

That said, yes, the HONORABLE thing would be to accept and go and perform to the best of your ability, with pride and dignity - but if petty people want to have their 2 seconds in the sun, I expect they won't act with honor. Had my child been in a band asked to perform when Obama was inaugurated, I would have acted 'honorably' as would my child despite the fact that I abhorred that man and all he stood for. To do otherwise would have been not any kind of significant statement to the country or the President, but to my child - that he or she is not worthy of the experience.

It is about pride, country, tradition, character building, memories, music .. and for gosh sakes, Trump probably won't be anywhere near the children so I doubt he will have any opportunity to 'corrupt' them even if you think that power is his in the first place.

Last edited by Aery11; 12-24-2016 at 08:17 AM..

Old 12-24-2016, 07:36 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,956,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
Sorry, you have no decision in the matter, the school administration decides for EVERYONE. Here's a thought - why don't they allow each individual band member decide whether to go or not?

Maybe the trumpet player (or trumpet player's parents more likely) hates Trump and decides not to go. Cool, the player has the right to decline. But maybe the clarinet player (or the clarinet player's parents more likely) likes Trump and wants to play. That player has the right to play. And maybe the percussion player doesn't give a rat's behind either way and just wants to go and have FUN! Why is the administration deciding for everyone? Because of the use of the busses? Well, I guess the ones who want to go will have to go on a private chartered bus and get their own uniforms. But see, more than Trump-haters pay school property taxes, so I don't have a problem with them using the tax-paid busses and uniforms.
Schools have a specific agenda. Anyone who does not acknowledge that (NOTE: I did not write support/deny) is B L I N D.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:44 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,379,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
...and unfortunately his being elected president erases none of that. Perhaps he will prove to be a respectable and honorable president, but that possible trump will only have the chance to appear after the inauguration. In the meantime, this is not a guy that kids should be honoring.

It's not about "sore losers," it's about the man's abominable behavior and foul mouth.
and his lack of integrity.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:44 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
... which is all a matter of PERSONAL bias and perspective, not an absolute foregone conclusion or truth .. many of us obviously did NOT hear the same things/see the same things displayed in or by Mr. Trump even when we listened to the exact same words and watched those same actions.

As far as the band goes, I do not think it is right for a band leader to make this decision (if the band is indeed asked to go to the Inauguration festivities). Individual parents of band members might make those decisions themselves and withdraw their child if they so choose - and I suppose that if enough of them did, there would not be a 'viable' band left 'to' go.

That said, yes, the HONORABLE thing would be to accept and go and perform to the best of your ability, with pride and dignity - but if petty people want to have their 2 seconds in the sun, I expect they won't act with honor. Had my child been in a band asked to perform when Obama was inaugurated, I would have acted 'honorably' as would my child despite the fact that I abhorred that man and all he stood for. To do otherwise would have been not any kind of significant statement to the country or the President, but to my child - that he or she is not worthy of the experience.

It is about pride, country, tradition, character building, memories, music .. and for gosh sakes, Trump probably won't be anywhere near the children so I doubt he will have any opportunity to 'corrupt' them even if you think that power is his in the first place.
I don't think you are understanding. The bands have to APPLY to perform, they are not selected to perform. The band leaders likely had students refuse to perform and there is not use in arranging a performance and applying when you will be working without most of your staff. Most of the bands are high school kids who are old enough to form opinions and have a right to use their first amendment privileges to not support a president they don't believe has their best interests at heart.

Last edited by The Dissenter; 12-24-2016 at 09:37 AM..

Old 12-24-2016, 08:49 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post

Where have you been the last year or so?

Where were you when Trump spent half a night tweeting about "Ms. Piggy" while the rest of us were in bed?

Where were you when that famous seen of him flapping his arms and mocking a disabled reporter was broadcast?

Where were you when Trump said that a flat chested woman could never be a "No.10"?

Where were you when Trump gave a speech telling people they could go "f" themselves?

Where were you when Trump said that a Muslim woman wasn't permitted by her husband to talk?

Where were you when the Hollywood Access tape showed the way that Trump talked and thought about women?

You want to talk about "pride, country, character building"? This particular president and "character-building" are oxymorons.

There is no comparison between President Obama and Trump. You might have disagreed sharply with Obama's politics, but no one would ever called him crude, vulgar, or a bad example. That's really the point here. Its not the candidate's politics. We elect Republican and Democrat presidents. What puts Trump in a separate category is his vulgarity. His inauguration is not something decent people celebrate. Its not something I would want my kids involved in as band members or otherwise.

Last edited by markg91359; 12-24-2016 at 09:45 AM..

Old 12-24-2016, 08:49 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,019,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Have you spent any time around teenagers lately? Yes, they care. They care a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Trying to convince me, or yourself? And sitting in a circle crying because Hillary did not win, does not count. These people did not even know why they wanted her to win. They had no clue.
randomparent is quite correct and doesn't need to convince anyone. Teenagers are quite involved these days and are more than able to make up their minds on wide ranging subjects without their parents influence . I know , I raised 6 of them . Only one teenager left but she will tell you exactly what she thinks of him and why . She has a young lady Trump friend her age as well who talks to my daughter because not many kids want to discuss him . My daughter realizes this young lady needs a friend but it wont change her mind about DT at all . She says she finds him really embarrassing .

WTH would you think she ( my daughter ) or any other high schooler for that matter is crying while sitting in a circle ?
That's very weird .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates