Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2016, 03:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
For the first time, this country will not have a president. It will have a host of a sleazy TV reality show, running on a cable channel, with X-rated content. Children under 18 should not be allowed to attend or watch such a spectacle.
Might be a nice change from the crooks,liars and narcissist potentates we've had so far.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:14 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,775,588 times
Let me get this straight. We're talking about high school marching bands: right? ...the sort of bands that normally play at FOOTBALL games?

Every week, I seem to be reading about high school football players hazing teammates by RAPING them. Or, I'm reading about high school football players raping young women - with school administrators siding with the football hero rapists. Texas Cheerleader Who Refused To Cheer Rapist Loses In Court Or I'm reading about football players bullying unathletic boys to death.

Not that it stops, once these glorious stallions get to college. The sexual assault upon, and suicide of, Lizzy Seeberg (and the subsequent bullying/coverup by the school) will forever be in my memory. This Is What Happens When You Accuse A Notre Dame Football Player Of Sexually Assaulting You And who can forget Good-ol' Coach Sandusky? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Sandusky And who can forget Good-ol' Joe Paterno, who, presumably in the name of FOOTBALL, seems to have allowed Sandusky's good times to continue for decades? http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/sp...ents.html?_r=0

And then we have the PROS, who take it to a whole 'nother level. Michael Vick's name stands out: Michael Vick's unpaid dues: Why dog advocates aren't moving on - SFGate , along with Aaron Hernandez (mostly because my Hair Colorist has a collection of photos showing something amazing, in Hernandez' white uniform pants). Compared with Vick, Hernandez little murder charges seem puny. But still... Aaron Hernandez verdict: Guilty of murder - CNN.com

Oh, and here's another fine football-playing role model of a man: Lawrence Phillips found dead in prison at age 40 I could find those all day long. In fact, there are whole websites, dedicated to the criminal actions of football heroes.

Too, there are the consequences of playing this totally unnecessary sport: brain injuries and illness caused by heat exhaustion: Jackson Prep: Walker Wilbanks has died

And don't even get me started on the illegal gambling, or the corruption of institutions of higher learning - all centered around football.

Sexism? Violence? Crudeness? What could anyone possibly say about Donald Trump, that doesn't go DOUBLE for "The Football Culture"? Yet somehow, it's fine-&-dandy for these bands to march for the glory of that sick, evil, filthy game - but not for America's Choice as President?

Old 12-23-2016, 05:42 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
I suppose it is likely that in the past, people would decline to spend the money to send their kid to DC for an inauguration because they didn't care for the president-elect.

If the band was selected,and enough people said "no thanks, my kid isn't going", what choice would they have but to cancel?

And yeah, my kids wouldn't WANT to go.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:53 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,344,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Let me get this straight. We're talking about high school marching bands: right? ...the sort of bands that normally play at FOOTBALL games?

Every week, I seem to be reading about high school football players hazing teammates by RAPING them. Or, I'm reading about high school football players raping young women - with school administrators siding with the football hero rapists. Texas Cheerleader Who Refused To Cheer Rapist Loses In Court Or I'm reading about football players bullying unathletic boys to death.

Not that it stops, once these glorious stallions get to college. The sexual assault upon, and suicide of, Lizzy Seeberg (and the subsequent bullying/coverup by the school) will forever be in my memory. This Is What Happens When You Accuse A Notre Dame Football Player Of Sexually Assaulting You And who can forget Good-ol' Coach Sandusky? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Sandusky And who can forget Good-ol' Joe Paterno, who, presumably in the name of FOOTBALL, seems to have allowed Sandusky's good times to continue for decades? http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/sp...ents.html?_r=0

And then we have the PROS, who take it to a whole 'nother level. Michael Vick's name stands out: Michael Vick's unpaid dues: Why dog advocates aren't moving on - SFGate , along with Aaron Hernandez (mostly because my Hair Colorist has a collection of photos showing something amazing, in Hernandez' white uniform pants). Compared with Vick, Hernandez little murder charges seem puny. But still... Aaron Hernandez verdict: Guilty of murder - CNN.com

Oh, and here's another fine football-playing role model of a man: Lawrence Phillips found dead in prison at age 40 I could find those all day long. In fact, there are whole websites, dedicated to the criminal actions of football heroes.

Too, there are the consequences of playing this totally unnecessary sport: brain injuries and illness caused by heat exhaustion: Jackson Prep: Walker Wilbanks has died

And don't even get me started on the illegal gambling, or the corruption of institutions of higher learning - all centered around football.

Sexism? Violence? Crudeness? What could anyone possibly say about Donald Trump, that doesn't go DOUBLE for "The Football Culture"? Yet somehow, it's fine-&-dandy for these bands to march for the glory of that sick, evil, filthy game - but not for America's Choice as President?
Your point about football is taken but it's not an apt comparison. Those teams that would have otherwise applied are judging the character of an individual, Donald Trump. They *could* but chose not to ignore what they think about him and still have wanted to march for the institution - the Presidency or maybe for the country. But no - they make the decision based upon the individual circumstance.

Your example is the other way around. High school bands perform at their school games in support of their specific schools and the individual players. Their choice says nothing about the institution of football and folks like Sandusky and Vicks.

By saying that the actions of individuals tarnish the institution you are, in my view, agreeing if only inadvertently with non-marching teams. They are speaking out to wrongs that they perceive in some of what Trump has said and done on his path to the Presidency just like you, I presume, would want football fans/players etc. to speak out against wrong doers.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:22 PM

25,576 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I suppose it is likely that in the past, people would decline to spend the money to send their kid to DC for an inauguration because they didn't care for the president-elect.

If the band was selected,and enough people said "no thanks, my kid isn't going", what choice would they have but to cancel?

And yeah, my kids wouldn't WANT to go.
Then you are an indoctrinator.

How's it feel?

Old 12-23-2016, 06:58 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Your last statement is the kicker. Being invited is kind of a gold medal for high school bands.
Being invited to perform for the guy who has acted to destroy public education in America is something to be proud of?

Old 12-23-2016, 07:02 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Being invited to perform for the guy who has acted to destroy public education in America is something to be proud of?
No, being invited to play at the Inaguaration of the President of the United States.

As far acting to destroy public education goes there's more than enough individual blame to go around, starting with Bill Gates and going in descending order of responsibility.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:15 PM

I'm not so upset by Trump as I am by Trump supporters. They gleefully supported a sociopath with no morals who used a hate campaign to win. They have no morality. They have no honesty. They have no human decency. It gives a great picture of what their lives are like.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No, being invited to play at the Inaguaration of the President of the United States.

As far acting to destroy public education goes there's more than enough individual blame to go around, starting with Bill Gates and going in descending order of responsibility.
One more Trump supporter who doesn't read the news. Does the name Betsy DeVos ring a bell?

Old 12-23-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Yes, that's true. But if only half the band members are willing to show up, the performance simply will not happen. That's the way ensembles work.
Too bad red states don't have high school marching bands. I guess they have already cut their music programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.