Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2016, 01:42 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Trump has made of mockery of decorum, and manners, and all positive character traits HIS ENTIRE CAREER. That's his schtick. He's not a "regular" guy. Or an "honorable" man. Or even an honest man. He's been a joke for 30 years. An entertainer. He has ALWAYS bashed anyone who even slightly offended him. In ignorant and vulgar terms. For 30 years! His best business skill is self-promotion.

Sure we've all "said some things we've regretted"...but we generally acknowledge and apologize for those things. Not your new president though! Most of us learn over time. Trump is the oldest man ever elected to the office of president. Clearly he's not changing. He regrets nothing.

Can you honestly say people who disliked Obama acted respectfully? Trump himself was HORRIBLE to Obama, constantly implying he was secretly in cahoots with terrorists, and not even an American. Trump doesn't deserve respect. He hasn't acted respectfully. But you know what? I still wouldn't say "I abhor" him. You know why? That's too personal for comfort. He didn't grab *my* pu$$y. Or not pay *my* company. Or insult *my* husband. Nor did he cheat on *me.* Or insult *me* on Twitter, or interrupt *me* like a petulant child. Nor make that awful sneer towards *me.* Then I would "abhor" him. But, until then, I can see the way he treats others and know he's not a good person. I never saw Obama act that way. Or talk to people like that. Or about people like that. Yet people treated him with contempt.

At least with Trump, he's the one dishing it out. He should be able to take it. Instead he throws temper tantrums like Kanye. Or a bratty toddler. Not an example I'm going to place upon a pedestal for my children to "respect."
Ok .. you are entitled to your opinion. I am also entitled to mine. I reserve judgement about Trump - and believe me I will stay engaged, I will watch to see if anything you seem to think will definitely be an issue actually IS one. And I will be one of the first to say so if he does anything that would harm America. I believe in giving him a chance though since he was legally elected. I am very sorry that so many others don't want to give him that chance. That said though .. IF he actually did some of the things that have been attributed to him, I don't find those 'nice' at all and I do not condone or excuse them .. but Hillary was not pristine either and Trump HAS been elected .. he deserves the right to prove he can be a good President. Those were our choices .. we made them.

I can certainly separate a TV 'reality show' personality from real life but it seems again that many are not able to do that these days. And I also did my own research and it tells me right now that there is a good chance that the horrible things that some seem to be still promoting since the election - that just look to me to be a) jumping the gun and b) vindictive, mean-spirited, self-defeating and rude in nature and c) very alinski-ite 'rules for radicals' in essence - are not what is going to happen at all. I am certain the man will make mistakes (please don't tell me Obama has not! that is not even believable) but I think one of Trump's best attributes is that he is a 'think on his feet' kind of person with great ability to recognize mistakes, insight into how to find new solutions to problems and a practiced ability to turn things around quickly if need be. But, again, as I said .. this is just my 'opinion'. You can criticize my 'opinion' all you like but I am a 'wait and see' kind of person - not a 'jump on the bandwagon' one - so it won't make much difference anyway.

And you can teach your child to disrespect the office of the Presidency if you want .. that is not my business but I do find it sad if you choose to do so. And you can teach your child to hate anyone who doesn't think the way you do .. that is also not my business but again I find it even sadder .. because it is divisive. Doesn't surprise me though when someone who thinks that Obama walks on water thinks divisiveness is a good thing. I do acknowledge however that it certainly seems that Obama has been very effective at what he set out to do in that respect since Americans seem now more divided than they have ever been in my lifetime (and I am 67) but if he was to be the end to 'racism', by my assessment, he missed that mark by a mile.

I should clarify one thing though .. I didn't mean that I abhorred Obama personally. I don't know the man personally so how could I ever do that even if some things I think he has done are not very nice or smart and there has always been a lot that has bothered me about him as a person - as judged from afar of course so I cannot be sure my assessment which is based on my own values is correct so I don't push my opinion about him as a person on others if I can help it. Let's just say that I don't think he and I would make great dinner companions to be honest but that is neither here nor there since he has never invited me and is not likely to.

I simply meant that I abhor many of his policies, do not care for his 'approach' to politics, to the world and to the people of this country as a whole, etc. and, more specifically, have very much have disliked how he has acted as President with regards to encouraging the breaking of laws (I just don't see that as a good thing - and I will most certainly criticize Trump too if he does that!) and divisiveness. It just seems to me that he failed to unite (well, actually he did the opposite obviously) and I view that as a pretty important aim of the Presidency. You are welcome however to make sure that Trump can't achieve that either but it just seems like 'cutting off one's nose to spite the face' which is a childish concept in my opinion.

No matter how I have felt about any President as a person or even as a leader, I have always respected the office of President though. So many don't seem to be able to separate the person from the office.

Had Hillary won, I would certainly not be attacking her personally in the same way I see anti-Trump folks do with him ... before she was even inaugurated. It was one thing to say that I didn't particularly care for her and where she might lead the country and even frankly that I think she may indeed be guilty of some crimes that I thought would not set a good precedent or arbor well for what was to come - BEFORE the election .. but in this interim period .. I would have been rather silent since she would not yet have had a chance to prove me right or wrong. I would not be trying to sabotage her in any way right now - I would have given her the chance to prove my thoughts about her right or wrong as I did with Obama.

(and p.s. I am NOT the people you seem to think are so awful and yet I - and many others like me - get lumped in with them every day it seems. Oh well .. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours!)

Old 12-24-2016, 01:50 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
The band leader is an employee of the school. If the school says he has to go , he HAS to go.

That's not necessarily true, and I say that as a retired principal who had a band that was nationally known, albeit at the middle school level. The band director's contract was a regular teacher contract, which required him to do things during regular school hours. He was never required to take his students on band trips.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:52 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,021,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Really I doubt it some of my relatives and neighbors are Fox News Junkie tea baggers and their main worries seemed to be about guns, the wall, that the minorities were being catered to and BLM.
All fake-news nonsense issues. It's Putin redux all over again. He's transformed Russia into a place where you can't tell what's true from what's false. There ARE no experts in Russia any more. Everyone is left snow-blind in a buzz-blizzard while Vladi calls out signals. I really don't think people in the US have faced up yet to how much scalding hot water this election has already put us in. And we're only at T-minus-four weeks.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:54 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Yet, the left honors a past president by building him a library and paying him millions in speaking fees while ignoring his multiple adulterous affairs throughout his entire political career. To this day Bill Clinton is the left's darling.

Hypocrites.
And while I disagree with your assessment, that is freedom of speech and freedom of participation/involvement.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So...that includes the democrats who pander to specific ethnicities, religions and races. And, how did that work for them this election cycle?
No, you missed the point. It's about revealing your own inner bigotry by reflexively attaching the article "THE" to a descriptor. As The Donald has done repeatedly.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So, you think it's acceptable to "burn flags and throw eggs"? Seriously?
Time-honored means of expressing social discontent. I'm not sure if the Supreme Court has put its stamp of approval on egg-throwing, but it certainly has with respect to flag-burning.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:31 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Ok .. you are entitled to your opinion. I am also entitled to mine. I reserve judgement about Trump - and believe me I will stay engaged, I will watch to see if anything you seem to think will definitely be an issue actually IS one.
Aery11, I just came down to print a recipe so will take the time to read your thoughtful message later tho I skimmed it. Two thoughts came to mind.

Trump is going to be President - no question - and like you, I'm sure hoping for the best. Some of what he proposed was attractive to me, but his possible policies are in such flux right now that its hard to view him in term of POLICY.

First, we CAN separate the man from the President - actions can reach the level of legal or personal dishonor. That was required at the time of Nixon and Clinton sure was skating on thin ice with Lewinski. Beginning with the primaries, Trump campaigned like no other even though there's been lots of dirty politics around. Never will I get used to the public name-calling. Never. I absolutely choked when he said that Hillary had hate in her heart and that she was Satan (or the Devil) during the second debate. And not because of "poor Hillary." Rather, the debates were an address of sorts to the nation and here he sure flunked "Presidential."

Second, my kid will soon no longer be a teen. When she was a child, I would ask that she not speak disrespectfully of George Bush repeating just what you have in your post. Oppose what he did, but not deride him as a man or as a President in any way. But I'm not at this time (or at least as strongly) asking the same of her for Trump. In part, because she's a teen and, more, some of what he's said has touched on the racial. That she may never forget or overlook. Plus as I mentioned earlier, we're of different races and that leads to a different dynamic.

But more, I don't believe that Trump has yet earned the right to be accorded all the PERSONAL honor due to a President. He's won the election, but that needs to (hopefully) come. Sure if I were to be invited to a WH dinner, I would behave very properly - again, yes, for the office and for simple human politeness. But if my daughter declined to accompany me to the dinner, I would both understand and respect her view.

Last edited by EveryLady; 12-24-2016 at 02:52 PM..

Old 12-24-2016, 02:50 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
All fake-news nonsense issues. It's Putin redux all over again. He's transformed Russia into a place where you can't tell what's true from what's false. There ARE no experts in Russia any more. Everyone is left snow-blind in a buzz-blizzard while Vladi calls out signals. I really don't think people in the US have faced up yet to how much scalding hot water this election has already put us in. And we're only at T-minus-four weeks.
I agree but I suspect a huge swath of people eat it up like candy anyway because it supports what they want to be true. Quite a few aren't college educated and don't really know how to decipher a credible from a non-credible news source anyway. I don't recall much critical thinking skills being taught in high school. Facebook posts are handy source of news for these folks but especially Fox News because they give the liberals a hard time and they mention guns and god a lot "so those must be the good guys" "Duh!".

Old 12-24-2016, 03:27 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
You can respect the office of the POTUS, not the POTUS itself. The problem is the far right and alt.right did exactly that with Obama and now expect every one of us to fall inline with Trump. Uh-Uh.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:35 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,742,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the other question to the side of that coin if you find trump repulsive for his mocking the disabled, his vile comments about women. his disrespect for a POW, his bigotry towards people based on their race or religion. then yes you do not send your kids to honor a man you find repulsive.

I disagree, regardless what your stance is on him he will our President. As such it would be an honor and he will now deserve respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.