Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2016, 11:45 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,070,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The David Duke thing was an instance of an a--hole reporter putting hm on the spot with a "gotcha" moment in which Trump had to decide whether to act like a trained seal or let the guy know that he doesn't take orders from a leftist jack*ss.
So, it's a "gotcha" question to ask if you accept the support of a KKK grand wizard? See, most people would have had no problem saying, no, absolutely not, without having to think about it for a few days. But that would have alienated the vast majority of his supporters and he knew it.

For the first time in my adult life I will not be watching this inauguration. And I say this as a dyed-in-the-wool liberal/progressive who has watched every one since Jimmy Carter's, Republican and Democrat alike. Even when I vehemently disagreed with their politics I respected them as human beings. I cannot say the same for this man. And I'm not the least bit surprised that no one wants to "celebrate" this deplorable man's inauguration. We can only hope his stay in the Oval Office is brief.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:52 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Blame! It's what makes some people happy!
For others, it's facts -- the facts of the subway system's history, for instance. That's been a history plagued by the inept interventions of loud-mouthed know-nothing mission-hating cost-cutters. Dumb and cheap. Call 'em what you will, but "TEA Party types" certainly fits the bill.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:03 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You're sort of wrong. The funding comes from DC, the Federal government, Virginia and Maryland.
The latter two by individual County, you should have said. But didn't. As for TEA Party types, they can be found doing their special brand of damage all over the place. Maryland isn't any place special.

And in any case, those who have planned to dance around DC on the subway for Inauguration Day better check twice into how that's actually going to work out. All is not as it appears to be these days.

Last edited by Pub-911; 12-23-2016 at 12:11 PM..

Old 12-23-2016, 12:13 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The question about bands is actually complicated.

My daughter is in a first rate high school marching band and I have seen this sort of thing firsthand. The band marched in the Rose Parade in Pasadena and was invited to march in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade next year.

These events do require extensive practice and preparation and typically bands apply to march in such events years in advance.

However, when permission is granted, the band has to do extensive fundraising and, more importantly, parents have to be willing to pay expenses. I can completely see a rebellion among a substantial number of parents when it comes to paying a $1,000 or so in expenses to march in this particular inaugural parade. If the band director can't get enough support from parents, the band will not be able to attend the parade. That can be a fairly "last minute" decision. The band director cannot do it all. There is generally a parents' committee that is involved in all of these types of decisions. The bottom line is that without parental support a band cannot do much at all.
Which would have been given and accomplished MONTHS before the election took place to ensure everyone was going.

It would not be a last minute decision. You are going, downpayment done.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:26 PM

8,496 posts, read 3,337,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I don't believe this story for a few reasons.

School trips of this magnitude would be planned MONTHS is in advance.

There would be fundraising for hotel, travel, meals, new uniforms. There would be school board involvement, parents permission, booster type stuff ongoing for MONTHS.

There would be practice after practice to ensure that the marching band/color guard were 100% P E R F E C T.

That type of trip does not come together in a few weeks. I call shenanigans. Anyone who has worked in a school or had a kid or oh actually WENT to school would know that.
It's for this reason that many of the performing bands over time tend to be from the DC area. So far, not a single local band applied this year even though some of these same bands performed for President Bush. Simple partisanship this is not.

The kids in this area tend to feel even more strongly than their parents (who on the whole voted Democratic) that some of Trump's statements were simply unacceptable in a Presidential candidate (or for anyone else really). This generation has been raised to be and prizes itself on being inclusive. Plus being young, they aren't yet "sophisticated" enough to think it only election hyperbole as Trump at times has claimed. Kids are literal - and here they are taking him at his word. He may get away with trashing folks one moment then praising them as "very nice people" the next but kids aren't as forgiving.

I think the Inauguration is reaching out to bands outside the DC area but, as you point out, trying to organize last minute long-distance participation can be a challenge.

Last edited by EveryLady; 12-23-2016 at 12:50 PM..

Old 12-23-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
On second thought, maybe I'm wrong. A quick perusal of the participants in the 2013 inaugural parade shows many marching bands came from long distances to perform.
The focus on the local news stories has been that none of the DC area schools even applied - which is what is totally out of the norm. And then the problems with adult entertainers. It may be business as usual with bands from outside the area.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:49 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Which would have been given and accomplished MONTHS before the election took place to ensure everyone was going.

It would not be a last minute decision. You are going, downpayment done.
You didn't read what I said. What I said was the decision to apply is made months or years in advance. Trips can be cancelled at virtually any time primarily because of money issues.

I'm starting to think Trump supporters don't hear anything that doesn't fit into their narrative.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:00 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I heard on the radio this morning that a somewhat local to me, award winning high school marching band has been invited to march for Trumps inauguration but the sore loser people in charge are saying no and not allowing the band to travel to DC.

The only thing I could find online is that the band leader submitted the application and is still waiting to see if the band is accepted.

The way I see America has just elected it's 45th President and it would be an honor and an experience that those kids would remember for the rest of their lives. Imagine traveling to DC and marching for a new President in a parade.

Is it wrong for the parents and faculty to deny the kids such an experience just because they don't like the new Presidents policies?

What are they teaching here?

Hate, and then have milk and cookies later at the PTA meeting and church socials....

Old 12-23-2016, 01:04 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post

I think the Inauguration is reaching out to bands outside the DC area but, as you point out, trying to organize last minute long-distance participation can be a challenge.
I saw on the news here yesterday that a H.S. marching band from our area had been chosen.
They've even started a Go-Fund me page to get up the funds to fly to DC.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:07 PM

Curious, I just googled a bit but only for about 10 minutes so take it for what it's worth. It looks like applications to perform aren't made until the Inaugural Committee forms in November. Acceptances are going out now, leaving little time for last minute fundraising and trip prep.

"Even many high school bands have shown uninterest: An Arizona company that organizes trips for bands says inquiries are down by at least 50 percent compared with 2009." ... Enthusiasm for Donald Trump's inauguration is nothing like 2009 | The Telegraph

"Florida Marching Band Agrees to Play the Inauguration; Trump Refuses to Pay Their Costs ... Unlike DC-based bands, this Florida marching band wants to play. So why is the Donald Trump Inaugural Committee refusing to pay the costs for this working-class school? ... Updated: Fri Dec 23: So far, the band is struggling to raise even one-tenth the amount required." Florida Marching Band Can't Afford to Play at Donald Trump's Inauguration

The kids in the above band (which is in the Naples FL area) were depicted as being excited to perform. I didn't cherry pick - these were the first two hits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates