Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2016, 05:44 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times

Advertisements

How has this thread not been moved to P&OC?

Old 12-23-2016, 06:41 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
I read through most of the posts since I last posted yesterday. As I was reading, I started thinking "I have read these things before." Then it occurred to me, it has been a while and it wasn't on the internet because it was before it existed. I had read these things in the newspapers and heard them on TV in news reports. It was during and after the election when Ronald Reagan became president.

So I did some searching and did a little reading and sure enough, you can find old new articles with all the same whining and crying and fear mongering over Reagan being elected. The only difference is, Reagan was rather politically correct so you don't see anything about brash comments he made but instead they tended to call him things such as a "nit wit and numb minded."

Old 12-23-2016, 06:57 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
I don't believe this story for a few reasons.

School trips of this magnitude would be planned MONTHS is in advance.

There would be fundraising for hotel, travel, meals, new uniforms. There would be school board involvement, parents permission, booster type stuff ongoing for MONTHS.

There would be practice after practice to ensure that the marching band/color guard were 100% P E R F E C T.

That type of trip does not come together in a few weeks. I call shenanigans. Anyone who has worked in a school or had a kid or oh actually WENT to school would know that.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:13 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Well some might argue they don't won't to expose their kids to a vile, despicable human being and his barking trained seals.
Exactly. This is an example of fine parenting and faculty inaction.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:33 AM

290 posts, read 313,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I don't believe this story for a few reasons.

School trips of this magnitude would be planned MONTHS is in advance.

There would be fundraising for hotel, travel, meals, new uniforms. There would be school board involvement, parents permission, booster type stuff ongoing for MONTHS.

There would be practice after practice to ensure that the marching band/color guard were 100% P E R F E C T.

That type of trip does not come together in a few weeks. I call shenanigans. Anyone who has worked in a school or had a kid or oh actually WENT to school would know that.

Even if Fox News reported it like they reported that he is having a hard time finding entertainers to perform

Old 12-23-2016, 07:57 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Two questions.
Do any of you or your kids watch current TV shows or movies?
Have any of you listen to high school kids' conversations when they think adults aren't listening.
This is a red herring.

We are talking about the conduct of the man who is going to be the leader of the American nation, the President of the United States of America.

This is not a movie or TV show, this is not a bunch of bad talking teens, this is about the President of the United States. There is a difference, or at least there should be in my opinion.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:59 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
This will not be a celebratory event. And half the subway system is apt to be closed for repairs. Getting there will not be half the fun.
I really find it very difficult to believe that it will not be a celebratory event. Mr. Trump has far too many supporters for it not to be.

As for the subway problems, I am not up to date on those.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:16 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Trump is not the typical shiny polished politician that talks out of both sides of his or her mouth and that is why he won.
As for numbers if NYC and California was removed from the tally Trump would have won the popular vote as well.
Wait, let me get this straight. You're telling us that if we excluded the two states that account for almost 60 million people from the vote the election might have come out differently?

Holy mackerel! Who would have thought such a thing? You must be some kind of political genius!

Also, what's the basis for any suggestion that we should be excluding the votes of one fifth of the population? Apparently you have a problem with the democratic process.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:36 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I read through most of the posts since I last posted yesterday. As I was reading, I started thinking "I have read these things before." Then it occurred to me, it has been a while and it wasn't on the internet because it was before it existed. I had read these things in the newspapers and heard them on TV in news reports. It was during and after the election when Ronald Reagan became president.

So I did some searching and did a little reading and sure enough, you can find old new articles with all the same whining and crying and fear mongering over Reagan being elected. The only difference is, Reagan was rather politically correct so you don't see anything about brash comments he made but instead they tended to call him things such as a "nit wit and numb minded."
As usual we see the loyalist cherry picking through history to find some evidence to support one's notions. You didn't have to go back to the days of Reagan, the vitriolic level of commentary aimed at Obama should suffice, but, then again you wouldn't have been able to make your point. Let's be honest here, yeah, we don't agree with the present day situation with regard to Trump and company, but--it's only those who are truly hurt that respond here in his defense. I don't approve of either of the parties choices, so it's difficult to portray all of us who didn't want Trump as being hurt over Hilary's loss.

Not taking responsibility for things said or done has long been a mainstay of American politics, and yes Clinton is as guilty as Trump when measured by that standard, what has been said (derogatorily) here about Trump, has been taken from his own mouth, and supporting that side of him is just plain stupid and has no merit simply for the fact that you wouldn't allow the man to speak that way to your daughters, or wife.

I can't say enough about this guys lacking in decorum, a noted necessity for the office he will hold. To be so cavalier with regard to his statements is demonstrating the fact of your own character as being deficient as well.This isn't about the "average guy" spouting off in a bar, no, this is about the President of the United States, and, as much as I detested Reagan, the man had a great presence and demeanor, he was hard not to like. Who would you rather sit and talk with?

Old 12-23-2016, 08:42 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I heard on the radio this morning that a somewhat local to me, award winning high school marching band has been invited to march for Trumps inauguration but the sore loser people in charge are saying no and not allowing the band to travel to DC.

The only thing I could find online is that the band leader submitted the application and is still waiting to see if the band is accepted.

The way I see America has just elected it's 45th President and it would be an honor and an experience that those kids would remember for the rest of their lives. Imagine traveling to DC and marching for a new President in a parade.

Is it wrong for the parents and faculty to deny the kids such an experience just because they don't like the new Presidents policies?

What are they teaching here?
They are teaching the same intolerance and bigotry many of them have been teaching for the past 20+ years. They are just more exposed now and feel more secure in doing so because many will defend their hatred.

I would like to know the school so I can send a case of pacifiers to those in charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.