Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 09:00 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. "The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year. Nearly 330,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving. 1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving."

2. Maybe having a human conversation with the person who is in the car with you is more important that your business pragmatism.
Maybe "human conversations" can distract as well. Ever have a fight with a spouse or loved one while driving, with the person in the car? The "texting" thing is the latest fad.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:03 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Maybe "human conversations" can distract as well. Ever have a fight with a spouse or loved one while driving, with the person in the car? The "texting" thing is the latest fad.
The data -- which I stated in my previous post -- is clear. It's selfish for one person to put others at risk of death or injury just so they can do what they want to do when they want to do it. We live in a community, not just our own personal back yard.

Last edited by phetaroi; 04-22-2017 at 10:42 PM..

Old 04-23-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
The data -- which I stated in my previous post -- is clear. It's selfish for one person to put others at risk of death or injury just so they can do what they want to do when they want to do it. We live in a community, not just our own personal back yard.
I have a problem when people use emotion rather than facts. You cite statistics without explanation. Did the police or the report you site, without a link, say that "cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year" or that "(n)early 330,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving?" I am sure that the statistics say that cell phones were in use for those accidents but does not attribute causation in any such manner.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:40 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
I have a problem when people use emotion rather than facts. You cite statistics without explanation. Did the police or the report you site, without a link, say that "cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year" or that "(n)early 330,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving?" I am sure that the statistics say that cell phones were in use for those accidents but does not attribute causation in any such manner.
You don't believe the stats?
I got them from a lawyer's site.
Are you saying lawyers are dishonest?

However, the stats are actually originally from the National Safety Council.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:02 AM

6,734 posts, read 4,415,474 times
I see it all the time every day. Behind a vehicle weaving back and forth. Moving left over the line, back right to almost off the road. In Passing I glance over and they are looking down at their phone. One time I saw a guy weaving back and forth. When I Passed him, I noticed he was holding a book across the steering wheel, reading. It now seems that driving just has not become a responsible thing for people to do.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
You don't believe the stats?
I got them from a lawyer's site.
Are you saying lawyers are dishonest?

However, the stats are actually originally from the National Safety Council.
As a lawyer I will tell you that many manipulate statistics. And I'd like to see a lawyer's report on accidents while a husband and wife are duking it out in the car.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:57 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,946 times
Quote:
So passengers couldn't use cells either?
I don't recall that being discussed.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:10 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Good. Put the damn phone away and talk with the person in the car with you as if you are both human beings.
So the passenger can't use their phone to look up a restaurant, directions, etc? Not practical.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
1. "The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year. Nearly 330,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving. 1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving."

2. Maybe having a human conversation with the person who is in the car with you is more important that your business pragmatism.
I'd like to see the stats on injuries and accidents occurring from distractions to the driver by others in the car. Only then can there be a true comparison of texting versus talking to the passenger.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
But the data, while clear, is not complete. Please post data of accidents occurring with passengers in the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates