Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 11:13 AM

18,476 posts, read 31,648,692 times

Advertisements

i just want to know why people even feel the need to text someone something while driving a car?
driving a car isnt free time......your supposed to be paying attention to the road, not some retarded test...

Old 04-21-2017, 11:36 AM

50,839 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
i just want to know why people even feel the need to text someone something while driving a car?
driving a car isnt free time......your supposed to be paying attention to the road, not some retarded test...
People have become obsessed (and I really mean obsessed) with phones and related technology.

I know this makes me sound like an old geezer -- which I am -- but back when I grew up in the 1950s and 1960s, we didn't even have answering machines. We did very well.

When I see people in the grocery store, on the phone asking their spouse, "Do we need pickles? Do we need mustard? Do we need rice?" Shyte. Make a dayum list.

And it isn't just Americans. A decade ago when I was living in Bangkok, sometimes on the Sky Train I would see young fellows with Blackberries, and I mean actual Blackberries. My stop was at a large mall (near where I lived), and I would walk through the mall (and AC) on the way to my apartment. Those fellows with the Blackberries were sometimes clerks at cosmetic counters...and can you imagine the pay in Thailand for such a job? And yet, they felt they needed to own a Blackberry.

I have a land line. I have a basic cell phone. I have a Kindle tablet. I have a lap top. I have a desk top. How much technology do we need that can't be defined as obsession.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:32 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Great topic tijlover

I was listening to talk radio about a year ago and someone was on there saying the technology already exists for the powers that may be to shut off phones when people are in their cars.
It has not been implemented due to politics etc.

There are apps Parents can put on kids phones or we can put on our own to disable phone while driving.

I do not think it will be long our phones will be disabled while we drive.
So passengers couldn't use cells either?

Old 04-22-2017, 03:52 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Phones contain information vital to driving such as directions. Phones also have replaced the car radio for traffic reports and music. Even back in the day I religiously switched the car radio to "WCBS 880" on the "8's" for traffic and weather. Use of the cellphone for the same function is not really different.

You can't stop the march of time with emotion.
So, have people not heard of google maps? You enter your destination address BEFORE you start driving and it provides alternate routes based on accidents and slow downs? By now most cars have Bluetooth so it's not like you need to hold the phone. I think the MAJORITY of accidents are due to iPhones, not drunk drivers. I also think driving while using an iPhone should be discouraged with high fines and points on people's licenses, just like speeding or reckless driving. My sister was pulled over last week for texting while driving and was furious. No sympathy here.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
So, have people not heard of google maps? You enter your destination address BEFORE you start driving and it provides alternate routes based on accidents and slow downs? By now most cars have Bluetooth so it's not like you need to hold the phone. I think the MAJORITY of accidents are due to iPhones, not drunk drivers. I also think driving while using an iPhone should be discouraged with high fines and points on people's licenses, just like speeding or reckless driving. My sister was pulled over last week for texting while driving and was furious. No sympathy here.
I generally do that. But I don't turn it on for every trip. Sometimes for example I go from the Connecticut border to Scarsdale to worship at a time when traffic is usually light. If I get on the Hutch and traffic seems heavier than normal but not jammed (my area normally doesn't jam) I will check Google maps to see if it's about to jam ahead after the I-287 merge where it often jams up.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:29 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,073 times
Can't they make texting inoperable if a device is moving? Say, faster than 5 MPH? They have GPS's that know the device's location, they have clocks so they can determine speed. I surprised no product liability lawyers have grabbed onto this.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Can't they make texting inoperable if a device is moving? Say, faster than 5 MPH? They have GPS's that know the device's location, they have clocks so they can determine speed. I surprised no product liability lawyers have grabbed onto this.
So passengers couldn't text either?

Old 04-22-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
So passengers couldn't text either?
Good. Put the damn phone away and talk with the person in the car with you as if you are both human beings.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Good. Put the damn phone away and talk with the person in the car with you as if you are both human beings.
I guess pragmatism and business productivity are out the window, all over a hysteria involving very few accidents.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I guess pragmatism and business productivity are out the window, all over a hysteria involving very few accidents.
1. "The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year. Nearly 330,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving. 1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving."

2. Maybe having a human conversation with the person who is in the car with you is more important that your business pragmatism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates