Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:18 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Including yours? Then the rest of your post can be safely ignored.

See how that works?
None of what you deleted was his opinion. I'm confused at your tactics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 03:38 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I don't think it is the best way to protest since it really upsets some people but it is legal.
Being that Americans are clueless as to how to put a successful protest together, like they do in France, Bolivia, Brazil, Argentina, I find it to be a poorer substitute for "voting" your outrage at the direction our country is taken, or has taken. I believe if more people burned the flag, en masse, at gatherings, it would send a strong message to our leaders in Washington that they're doing something wrong.

Whenever I walk through my neighborhood and see the flags waving from certain households, immediately I think, correctly or not, they're War Veterans.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:31 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,021,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Including yours? Then the rest of your post can be safely ignored. See how that works?
Ignore away. The law with respect to flag-burning and the impermissibility of physically attacking those who engage in it will remain unchanged as the result. See how that works?

Old 02-10-2017, 07:32 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Being that Americans are clueless as to how to put a successful protest together, like they do in France, Bolivia, Brazil, Argentina, I find it to be a poorer substitute for "voting" your outrage at the direction our country is taken, or has taken. I believe if more people burned the flag, en masse, at gatherings, it would send a strong message to our leaders in Washington that they're doing something wrong.

Whenever I walk through my neighborhood and see the flags waving from certain households, immediately I think, correctly or not, they're War Veterans.
Incorrect assumption. I often fly my flag and I was never in the military.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:36 AM

There is a right to fly the flag and another to burn it. What a country!

Old 02-10-2017, 08:19 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,243,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Flag burning has a similar effect on people; it either enrages or disgusts them or at best their neutral. I'm not going to say, "those people must really hate Trump so so will I." The question for debate is whether flag burning is a good way to express political views. I submit that it is not.
I would agree with you.

To me, if you are an American, burning a flag is not protesting or expressing a political view, it's attacking the symbol of your country. I don't equate whoever is in charge of the government with our flag. Our flag has been around for hundreds of years, whereas politicians come and go. If you're angry with our elected officials, burning a flag isn't effective. It's your vote that counts. It's your political contributions that count. Taking away your vote and your money is how you force change.

I wish schools would reinstate the Pledge of Allegiance in the morning. Everyone should have pride in their country, whether they agree with what the politicians are doing or not. Kids today are growing up without that sense of pride and civic duty.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:32 AM

At the least, you'd have to take the words "under God" out of it. It would still of course be unclear how forced compliance with totalitarian edicts would help promote such concepts as liberty and justice for all.

If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein.

-- West Virginia BOE v Barnette (1943)

Old 02-10-2017, 08:50 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,668,336 times
Burning a flag became "fashionable" when it was originally done for "shock value" by anti-Vietnam War protesters, which led to the 1968 Flag Desecration Act, making it illegal to desecrate the flag. However, the Supreme Court ruled in 1989 that desecration laws abridged the right of free speech.

However, I abhor the desecration of the flag that represents my country, and frankly, these days, I think the shock value is long gone. I think that, in these days of social media and the barrage of news 365/24/7, there are more effective ways to protest and make your point. If the extent of your "speech" is lighting a fire to the symbol of our country -- well, maybe you need to clarify what it is that you're protesting about into an intelligent argument rather than just embracing pyromania.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:55 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post

I wish schools would reinstate the Pledge of Allegiance in the morning. Everyone should have pride in their country, whether they agree with what the politicians are doing or not. Kids today are growing up without that sense of pride and civic duty.
I never associated the mandated recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance with pride or civic duty. Once I thought about what the words meant to me, I stopped saying it.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:15 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,243,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
At the least, you'd have to take the words "under God" out of it. It would still of course be unclear how forced compliance with totalitarian edicts would help promote such concepts as liberty and justice for all.

If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein.

-- West Virginia BOE v Barnette (1943)
That could be done. The words "Under God" were added later anyway.

It also would not be forced. (It never was.) Some kids may choose not to recite it and that's their choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates