Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 10:23 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think it is stupid to burn the very flag that represents the country and people who have died that have given you the right to burn the flag.

What is even more stupid is that many who do so have no idea why they are doing it.
I think they do it just for the shock value because they know that most people still respect old glory.

I can see why they burn it in Iran but here at home? They are ignorant and misguided.
Why do you think it's stupid to express the freedoms our military has fought to provide for us?

Do you know anyone who burns flags? I'd assume you do not, so how did you come to that conclusion that most people don't know why they are burning it?
I'd assume that the person pays more attention to politics and/or has a different perspective that allows that person to see policies and events they agree with that I'm unaware of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 01:46 AM

652 posts, read 340,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Personally I'm not in favor of it, but I think it is protected "speech", and I don't get upset about it. I actually get upset about the superficial people who get all bent out of shape about it; very immature to get so consumed about it. And BTW, I often fly my flag.
Sure you do.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:43 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,218,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You wrongfully assume those who died for it think like you do.
So you think those who died in battle think like you???

Old 02-08-2017, 10:27 AM

605 posts, read 670,298 times
I believe protesters have a right to burn the US flag, however I really don't see how that is going to accomplish anything as far as convincing people to join their side of the argument. Basically I just think that they are attention whores.

Ironically burning a US flags is actually the proper way to dispose of it as long as it is properly folded and that the individual(s) can come to attention, salute the flag, recite the Pledge of Allegiance and have a brief period of silent reflection.

Flag Etiquette - VFW

Old 02-08-2017, 10:59 AM

636 posts, read 393,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I don't know how they think, but they must all think the same

These people aren't dead, but
8 Veterans Respond to Trump Saying That Burning the US Flag Should Be Illegal and Punished

Old 02-08-2017, 06:12 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
You wrongfully assume those who died for it think like you do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
No, on the contrary, I make no assumptions.

Flag-burning constitutes a form of "symbolic speech" that is protected by the 1st Amendment. Even though it might be considered offensive by many, society's outrage is not justification for suppressing Free Speech.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:52 PM

35,080 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
No, on the contrary, I make no assumptions.

Flag-burning constitutes a form of "symbolic speech" that is protected by the 1st Amendment. Even though it might be considered offensive by many, society's outrage is not justification for suppressing Free Speech.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Spitting on the sidewalk is not generally a form of political expression.
I moved the response to this thread since the Fedex worker thread is Current Events. If you remember the Paul Simon song "Me You and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" part of the lyrics were "the Mama looked down and spit on the ground every time my name was mentioned, the Papa said oh if I get that boy I'm goin' to stick in the house of detention." Spitting can, like flag burning, be construed as symbolic speech, a symbol of opposition and disgust. Yet spitting is commonly a "quality of life" infraction. I don't see where flag burning should fare better.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Spitting can, like flag burning, be construed as symbolic speech, a symbol of opposition and disgust. Yet spitting is commonly a "quality of life" infraction. I don't see where flag burning should fare better.
Saliva contains pathogens, like HIV, which are harmful to humans, while flag-burning does not.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:28 PM

35,080 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Saliva contains pathogens, like HIV, which are harmful to humans, while flag-burning does not.
Flames can catch and burn other structures or people. Saliva cannot.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Flames can catch and burn other structures or people. Saliva cannot.
Then they may be charged with Criminal Mischief or Arson as appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates