Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 06:07 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times

Advertisements

Don't you all know that the strongest hurricanes ever are a liberal conspiracy? A conspiracy to give money away to the people?

The world according to Rush Limbaugh....... https://www.yahoo.com/news/rush-limb...205856331.html

Liberals unite, exert your power over the weather to bring down the EPA and redistribute the wealth!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 08:59 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you have a very limited understanding of American geography, weather, climate, and geology. All coastal areas along the Atlantic and Gulf are subject to hurricanes. The midwest is subject to tornadoes. The west coast is subject to earthquakes and coastal storms. Mountain areas and the northern half of the nation are subject to blizzards. Flooding is a major issue along many American rivers.

I could go on, but hopefully you get the point.
The blizzard we had back in March caused a lot less damage than any of the hurricanes of recent years. Unless you are counting all the people in Albany who got towed for ignoring the "odd side, even side" parking restrictions for plowing the streets. Thankfully my city doesn't do that, you only have to move your car when you see the plow coming down the block, and you can put it right back once the plow passes through.

I'll take snow over high winds, rain and flooding. The only storm in my lifetime that ever came close to being a flood threat for me, personally, was Irene, and my neighborhood was only under a voluntary evacuation. Thankfully the Hudson stayed in its banks where it flowed past my place, which was only 4 blocks away.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:49 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Seriously? Do you really think it is that simple?! Please don't ever run for any type of political office.
I won't, I totally hate politics because they often make the basic most common sense things convoluted and screw it up.
If you can spend billions on a wall that will not work, you can spend the money to help someone get back on their feet.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 3,621 times
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/619926001/# Earthquakes are pretty hard to predict. Building in a flood plain or right on the water is asking for it. Any trip along the Gulf Coast or Florida coast shows that thousands of homes are in high risk areas. Reading this article shows that in-lander taxpayers are subsidizing the construction of these homes. Many times they have been rebuilt over and over!

Old 09-06-2017, 12:50 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSirfellow View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/619926001/# Earthquakes are pretty hard to predict. Building in a flood plain or right on the water is asking for it. Any trip along the Gulf Coast or Florida coast shows that thousands of homes are in high risk areas. Reading this article shows that in-lander taxpayers are subsidizing the construction of these homes. Many times they have been rebuilt over and over!
There are several cities along the gulf coast from SE Texas to South Florida that were built in a hurricane heavy zone below sea level. There's a simple reason for this, access to a large body of water. Wherever there is an abundant natural resource more often than not a town or city is built next to it for easy access to said resource.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:57 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Earthquakes don't do near the damage of floods/hurricanes/tornado's.

Proof of that is looking at the video footage of Fukishima after that mega quake of 9.2. Look carefully, many of the buildings remained intact. The biggest damage came from the tsunami!

Seattle had a 7.1 back in 2000? and the only damage was to the dome of the Capital Building in Tacoma, built in the 30's, never seismically retrofitted.

The 1906 quake in San Francisco, most of the damage came from the resultant fires, and after the Quake, city leaders insisted henceforth, all structures to be built of concrete or steel. That didn't last long! Too many homeless crowded into the Tenderloin district, crying out for housing, and what goes up the fastest? Wooden construction!

If any country knows how to build earthquake proof structures it's Japan. Any damage in Tokyo due to the Fukishima quake?

Chile has had some mega-quakes over the years (8.0-9.0) and what major damage was there?

Yes, the big worry on the West Coast is the resultant tsunami's.

That mega-quake in Alaska (1964) sent a wall of water 40 feet high crashing into the southern coastal areas.

How much in taxpayer dollars do you think it costs to get enough water to a desert to supply a good sized city and numerous golf courses?

Old 09-06-2017, 01:23 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
It's better than giving money away to foreign countries.
It may not be better, in many cases, we are usually getting something we want or need in return. It’s better to call it foreign aid than to say we are paying for favors.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:24 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Don't you all know that the strongest hurricanes ever are a liberal conspiracy? A conspiracy to give money away to the people?

The world according to Rush Limbaugh....... https://www.yahoo.com/news/rush-limb...205856331.html

Liberals unite, exert your power over the weather to bring down the EPA and redistribute the wealth!!!!
We have Native American rain-makers on our side, you know. Summer is when they do those ceremonies. They really went at it overtime, this year.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:28 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
It may not be better, in many cases, we are usually getting something we want or need in return. We just call it foreign aid.
Exactly. Foreign aid is an important component of diplomacy, i.e. politics. Furthermore, the way the rules for dispensing foreign aid are set up, a good chunk of the money actually gets spent on US-owned services and contractors. For example, when travel is involved, it's required to use US airlines, unless there are none serving a given area. This gets taken to ridiculous extremes, sometimes.

The people complaining about money being spent on foreign aid know nothing about it, that much is clear.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:15 PM

836 posts, read 1,119,704 times
There are people in Houston that never flooded before and this time they did. So let's don't punish them!

I know people that were not in a flood zone and their neighborhood flooded.

And we could also ask Floridians to move to another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates