Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 12:57 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,673,531 times

Advertisements

There is so much talk about "dumping money" into--insert your favorite expense complaint here-- that we seldom see that expense as something which winds it's way all through the economy. We've already got the medical 911 services established as an aside from drugs, same with doctors, lawyers, and social workers, drug treatment/intervention does work--sometimes--and sometimes not.

It seems to be a kind of American sport to complain about government, some have elevated this to a hobby, posting like crazy on the web with the hope of---I don't know what, and most of them don't either. I'm OK with the notion of living in a civil society despite the alleged high cost, the alternative looks like the ongoing reality of so many countries where the "let them die" thinking prevails.

If anything, we probably need more money spent on eradicating our prime social ills, at the least we should offer those in need some form of help. Yes it's always easy to stand on the sidelines and talk tough, but there is another grim reality hidden in that view, and that would be our letting things go until they can't be adequately addressed. The hotly debated homelessness crisis comes to mind as an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 07:23 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Why the Hell is our government throwing so much money at a problem that is for the most part self induced? Isn't this money better spent on cancer, heart disease and other diseases that plague mankind?

If someone wants to kill him, or herself, that's their problem, not mine.

Thoughts?
I don't see how those two ideas can be reconciled. If you think "one death is too many," how can you also ask why we are trying to prevent a large number of deaths?

I don't think that the government preventing people from taking irrational actions that might kill them is outside the scope of what the government should do. Healthy, clear-headed people don't continue to take drugs that will either kill them or ruin their lives. People do that because they are either addicted or something else is going on. I don't want to be a part of a society that says "We will let mass numbers of people kill themselves or ruin their lives without us blinking an eye because that's their problem, not mine."

If a person wants to go base jumping and is aware of the risks, so be it. They know the possible outcome, and so long as they are in a good mental state, they should be able to weigh those sorts of risks on their own. That is not how most heavy drug users start off, though.[/quote]A good deal of the problems associated with using drugs is their illegal status...that alone is what causes alot of the problems. since it is illegal, dealers and users go to great lengths to keep it hidden, for dealers, this means, they can lace the drug with anything they can find, to increase weight. plus the very high cost is most due to them being illegal, its the risk, strictly as a product, heroin should not be more expensive than gold, but it is.

Addicts are GOING to use at the end of the day, despite what laws are in place, why not make it safe as possible for them, and the community. keeping them all illegal just enriches the criminal outfits that control the drug trade...the drug cartels are very much against legalization too (that speaks volumes)

Old 08-10-2018, 07:44 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Maybe I'm naive, but, it seems like most of the 'war on drugs' is conducted via ribbons, speeches and education programs -- with a very limited reduction in the flow of drugs between Mexico (and elsewhere), and highly profitable U.S. dealers and users ... or in the U.S. drug use death rate.

Drugs (like guns) are something we can't simply 'regulate' or talk-down from major problem to nuisance status. While securing our borders would help, it's really going to take serious intent and more boots on the street, rather than programs, to deal with this.

There may be a correlation between the countries with the highest and lowest death rates from drugs (and a host of other factors) DRUG USE DEATH RATE BY COUNTRY [For example, Mexico has one of the highest death rates from violence and one of the lowest death rates from drugs; While the U.S. has one of the highest drug use death rates and a much lower (than Mexico) violence death rate. Meanwhile, Canada and China and India have far lower death rates in drugs and lower than the U.S. violence death rates.]
You can't win the "war on drugs" with boots on the ground, that's what we have been doing for over 40 years and neither supply nor demand have decreased. What people fail to realize is that every time you arrest a small time drug dealer there are a dozen kids fighting each other to take his place.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I honestly think it's because too many white people are dying now. 'hard drugs' like heroin have been affecting minorities but they seemed to be deemed not worthy of saving. they go to prison; this new crop of white addicts are portrayed as 'victims'.

I'm not trying to be political, just calling it as I see it.
You are absolutely correct, it's very obvious. Drug addicts have traditionally been fodder for our prisons because they are poor, or they are an ethnic or racial minority. When suburban soccer moms and teens attending private schools become heroin addicts they are victims and we have to "help them rather than punish them"

Old 08-10-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryMerlot View Post
^^^Like^^^ Its not a disease, its a choice. Those who first stuck a needle in their arm were not addicted. But they KNEW it was addictive then decided to do it anyway. Then they steal and rob from people who made good choices and have a life. I think when I see a drug OD on the news, what I think is good riddance. Now with ObamaCare the drug rehab places are pushing treatment you and I pay for, yet most inpatients back slide again and again.
No, not all drug addicts steal and rob from the 'good people', many of them use drugs in their home and hold jobs. You would not celebrate someone dying from an OD if it were a member of your family, and your family is not immune from the disease of addiction.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
You're correct Mike. Why did you even become a pharmacist? You should have become a traffic attendant and cut down on the driving deaths...that's even bigger!

A long time ago I audited a methadone clinic in Chicago. The first time I went to the client I was told to make sure I bring gloves because I might get TB. Money was tight. A lot of the counselors were quit addicts as well. Some of the people looked like junkies. Some of the people were dressed in work clothes. Some were in professional work clothes.

I dunno, I'm glad it was there. It seemed to help some people. The government wastes money on worse.
For opioid addicts Methadone or Suboxone is frequently the only way they can stay clean. The problem is that until recently medicaid wouldn't pay for either, and in states without expanded medicaid there is still an access problem since single adults don't get medicaid. I'm not sure what it costs now but before medicaid covered suboxone in California the cost was $250 a month.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:17 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
For opioid addicts Methadone or Suboxone is frequently the only way they can stay clean. The problem is that until recently medicaid wouldn't pay for either, and in states without expanded medicaid there is still an access problem since single adults don't get medicaid. I'm not sure what it costs now but before medicaid covered suboxone in California the cost was $250 a month.
Single adults can get medicaid in my state, there are plenty of them at the Suboxone doctor I go to. Suboxone is much more expensive than methadone, someone taking 1 8mg strip per day, a month supply will cost them about $350. with no insurance, compare that to a months supply of methadone for about $30.

The clinic I go to, the doctors are starting to believe addicts will need to take suboxone/methadone for the rest of their lives in order to stay clean. I know I will be taking it the rest of my life, but Im fine with that, as its keeping me clean and Im back to being a productive member of society.

Ive always believed they need to be handing out suboxone for free on the street corners, I think many addicts would be content with it if they just gave it a chance and not to expect that they will feel as good compared to heroin or illegal drugs, suboxone only makes you feel normal again, not 'high'.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:26 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,019,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Their hand in corrupting the war on drugs into a war on people should be tarred and feathered, repeatedly. And flogged with a cat-o-nine-tails.

There has been nothing in the history of the country that has more corrupted law enforcement than the drug war. Particularly, civil asset forfeiture has turned them from law enforcement to a gang of thugs with badges, as it takes the focus from serving and protecting the public to serving and protecting themselves. It makes people distrust and oppose law enforcement officers.

Bad cops get good cops killed.

Or fired. Or forced to resign. Or forced to retire.

I have a friend, former cop, who was forced to retire. His captain said he wrote ****ty reports and altered facts. It was a lie.

My friend sued the city. They got a nice settlement.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:51 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,166,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Addicts are GOING to use at the end of the day, despite what laws are in place, why not make it safe as possible for them, and the community. keeping them all illegal just enriches the criminal outfits that control the drug trade...the drug cartels are very much against legalization too (that speaks volumes)
Did I argue against legalization or making it as safe as possible for addicts? I'm not sure how you got that out of my post.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:33 AM

24,608 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
This. If they ever did succeed in "getting drugs off the streets" the gravy train of federal law enforcement grants and civil asset forfeitures would grind to a screeching halt. All the drug-warriors would have to find a job. Which is why nobody is interested in pursuing policies that actually solve the problem.
Well said, you also described why America wants and needs poor people. The gravy train for prisons, lawyers, psychologists, community organizers, civil rights activists, counselors, local politicians, law enforcement, detectives, local businesses, project housing, social workers, etc. would all be out of business if it wasn't for poor people.

No politician is interested in actually helping poor people, they make for too much money off exploiting them while pretending to help.

The easiest thing to do in life once you've climbed the social ladder through hard work, is convince the underclass they need your help and only your help to get where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates