Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 10:29 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Did I argue against legalization or making it as safe as possible for addicts? I'm not sure how you got that out of my post.
That part wasnt directed at you specifically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Well said, you also described why America wants and needs poor people. The gravy train for prisons, lawyers, psychologists, community organizers, civil rights activists, counselors, local politicians, law enforcement, detectives, local businesses, project housing, social workers, etc. would all be out of business if it wasn't for poor people.

No politician is interested in actually helping poor people, they make for too much money off exploiting them while pretending to help.

The easiest thing to do in life once you've climbed the social ladder through hard work, is convince the underclass they need your help and only your help to get where you are.
Its so strange that no one ever seems to ask about why there are always so many drugs in this country in the first place, no matter what laws are put in place, no matter how tough the border patrol is, the drugs just keep flowing in and reaching their destination...and even enough to cause major epidemics in numerous cities and states!!!

The consistency of the drug trade has always seemed suspicious to me, i mean, there is never a lull or slow period! I know this for a fact as i was an addict for many years, there was NEVER a time when my 'connection' was out or even low, its crazy to think about that aspect now, but its a topic Ive never seen anyone talk about.

Of course, this can only mean one of two things, either our border patrol is ridiculously ineffective or there is collusion to ensure these drugs reach their destination. If it was the first, even border patrol would get lucky sometime and the drug supply would be low for awhile (that doesnt seem to be the case though).

Old 08-14-2018, 05:56 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its so strange that no one ever seems to ask about why there are always so many drugs in this country in the first place, no matter what laws are put in place, no matter how tough the border patrol is, the drugs just keep flowing in and reaching their destination...and even enough to cause major epidemics in numerous cities and states!!!

The consistency of the drug trade has always seemed suspicious to me, i mean, there is never a lull or slow period! I know this for a fact as i was an addict for many years, there was NEVER a time when my 'connection' was out or even low, its crazy to think about that aspect now, but its a topic Ive never seen anyone talk about.

Of course, this can only mean one of two things, either our border patrol is ridiculously ineffective or there is collusion to ensure these drugs reach their destination. If it was the first, even border patrol would get lucky sometime and the drug supply would be low for awhile (that doesnt seem to be the case though).
Of course the border patrol is ridiculously ineffective, just as its been for well over 40 years now, because The War On Drugs Does Not Work. When they do make a "big bust", there is little drop in the supply on the streets because no matter the size of the bust it is only a tiny fraction of the total amount getting though.

I phrased it this way in a previous post, but you are so convinced that The War On Drugs would work if it weren't for government collusion with cartels that it just goes in one ear and out the other:

Quote:
As long as there is a demand for drugs, especially coming from the richest country in the world, ways to satisfy that demand will always will be found. Trying to fight that simple logical fact by making War has cost us $Trillions and countless lives over the last 40 years, with the only thing to show for it being problems that are worse than ever.
I bolded the "especially coming from the richest country in the world" this time because money is the driving force. The War On Drugs will NEVER be powerful enough to overcome the incredible force of money, no matter how high we crank that War up.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:08 AM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
The war on drugs works every bit as well as the war on poverty.
They're both good ideas and they should both continue, like the war on terrorism. War on car theft. War on child abuse. War on illegal immigration. None of them "work", and all of them are good ideas.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Of course the border patrol is ridiculously ineffective, just as its been for well over 40 years now, because The War On Drugs Does Not Work. When they do make a "big bust", there is little drop in the supply on the streets because no matter the size of the bust it is only a tiny fraction of the total amount getting though.

I phrased it this way in a previous post, but you are so convinced that The War On Drugs would work if it weren't for government collusion with cartels that it just goes in one ear and out the other:

I bolded the "especially coming from the richest country in the world" this time because money is the driving force. The War On Drugs will NEVER be powerful enough to overcome the incredible force of money, no matter how high we crank that War up.
Im not sure the war would work if there was not collusion, but I do imagine the drug supply would be way more sporadic, different regions would see shortages from time and time, this would be reflected in police activity, arrests, drug investigations, etc would all be down during this time frame.

Also, if they were truly serious at stopping the drug supply, they could always target the source, especially when you consider how many lives drugs have taken or destroyed, its really terrorism in that regard, so military action against the cartel suppliers would be justified. Not to mention, if the cartels can keep the ENTIRE nation supplied in dope, the poppy fields have to be immense, (probably can be seen from space). destruction of the source would knock out the supply chain for a long time and its effects would be felt far far away, US dealers wouldnt have anything for addicts to buy at that point.

It not practical to DIY with heroin, it takes too many poppy plants to get enough useable narcotic alkaloid (roughly about 5-8 acres of plants to keep one addict supplied daily), Opium poppies can only thrive in certain climates, so it cannot really be mass produced within the US.

Plus, imo, there is just way too much benefit for US law enforcement, from the federal level all the way down to small local police depts. its too good for there to be no collusion in other words

Old 08-17-2018, 07:13 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The war on drugs works every bit as well as the war on poverty.
They're both good ideas and they should both continue, like the war on terrorism. War on car theft. War on child abuse. War on illegal immigration. None of them "work", and all of them are good ideas.
You are correct! In our politically correct society, we've allowed political slogans and fine-sounding words to substitute for meaningful, effective action. It's unclear whether self-serving politicians or an apathetic public (both lacking in real value/truth standards) ... are more culpable. The resulting conditions seem reminiscent of "Nero fiddling, while Rome burned."

Old 08-17-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You are correct! In our politically correct society, we've allowed political slogans and fine-sounding words to substitute for meaningful, effective action. It's unclear whether self-serving politicians or an apathetic public (both lacking in real value/truth standards) ... are more culpable. The resulting conditions seem reminiscent of "Nero fiddling, while Rome burned."
There is a difference though between those things and the war on drugs, certain agencies and other entities (drug cartels) benefit and profit when there is a drug war going on. No one really benefits if there is a war on child abuse, or war on drunk drivers,etc etc

You know there is something wrong when the drug cartels want the US drug laws to be as tough as possible and those that control the drug war, feel the same way, that alone should be proof of a conflict or collusion.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:00 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
There is a difference though between those things and the war on drugs, certain agencies and other entities (drug cartels) benefit and profit when there is a drug war going on. No one really benefits if there is a war on child abuse, or war on drunk drivers,etc etc

You know there is something wrong when the drug cartels want the US drug laws to be as tough as possible and those that control the drug war, feel the same way, that alone should be proof of a conflict or collusion.
You're right and something I just learned..there is a new player in the war on drugs, CPS (childrens protective services). Children are being taken into custody if the parents use marijuana even in states where it's legal. The path to getting children back once they are taken is long and full of pitfalls, some counties require months of drug counseling or even in patient treatment programs. The "programs" are run by privateers who contract with the counties so they push hard to keep getting more and more people enrolled in them whether the parents need treatment or not. And the feds give states cash incentives for every child taken from parents and give them bonuses for 'early adoption'. In some cases they are doing merconium tests on newborns to detect marijuana use by the mother before she knew she was pregnant.

Butte County California is one of the biggest offenders in this game, they have the second highest rate of children removals per capita in the state. And in case you don't know, there is no due process in CPS cases, you have to disprove their allegations even if they are without any basis.

I never expected to see something like this in California, it's very reminiscent of the war on "crack" in the 90's when parents were accused of being crack addicts and talked into surrendering their children to CPS.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 08-17-2018 at 09:10 AM..

Old 08-17-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You're right and something I just learned..there is a new player in the war on drugs, CPS (childrens protective services). Children are being taken into custody if the parents use marijuana even in states where it's legal. The path to getting children back once they are taken is long and full of pitfalls, some counties require months of drug counseling or even in patient treatment programs. The "programs" are run by privateers who contract with the counties so they push hard to keep getting more and more people enrolled in them whether the parents need treatment or not. And the feds give states cash incentives for every child taken from parents and give them bonuses for 'early adoption'. In some cases they are doing meronium tests on newborns to detect marijuana use by the mother before she knew she was pregnant.

Butte County California is one of the biggest offenders in this game, they have the second highest rate of children removals per capita in the state. And in case you don't know, there is no due process in CPS cases, you have to disprove their allegations even if they are without any basis.

I never expected to see something like this in California, it's very reminiscent of the war on "crack" in the 90's when parents were accused of being crack addicts and talked into surrendering their children to CPS.
Wow, thats crazy! This war on drugs has to stop, law enforcement and Govt are going way too far with this.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:39 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You're right and something I just learned..there is a new player in the war on drugs, CPS (childrens protective services). Children are being taken into custody if the parents use marijuana even in states where it's legal. The path to getting children back once they are taken is long and full of pitfalls, some counties require months of drug counseling or even in patient treatment programs. The "programs" are run by privateers who contract with the counties so they push hard to keep getting more and more people enrolled in them whether the parents need treatment or not. And the feds give states cash incentives for every child taken from parents and give them bonuses for 'early adoption'. In some cases they are doing merconium tests on newborns to detect marijuana use by the mother before she knew she was pregnant.

The prohibitionists are getting really desperate. All in the name of "The Children! The Children! What about the Children?", when in reality many of these innocent victims of this travesty of justice will never fully recover from the ordeal.

This is just one aspect of the carnage caused by prohibition, there are many others. The reason why Harm Reduction techniques work so well, as we wait for prohibition to slowly end, is because the damage being caused by this stupid War against a plant is so profound.

I wish prohibitionists could take a step back from their narrow focus and actually see the damage they are causing. This is like 100 years ago, all over again.

You know what they say, if you don't learn from history you are bound to repeat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates