Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 08:23 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeligman View Post
well, the government has to spend as much of our money as they can

True. Too bad they can't use that money to pay down our national debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 08:40 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
We have been fighting drugs for decades, and its obviously a battle we have surely lost. Why would the fight continue? Could it be politics? Could it be money?

If corporations expect favors in exchange for money donated to politicians, couldn't the leader of a multi-billion dollar drug cartel expect that as well? Sure, he cant outright make donations but setting up a dummy charity or something is not a big thing for someone used to laundering money anyway, is it?

If a small town of say 250 people builds a prison, then suddenly those 250 people have access to jobs that weren't there before. But, aside from that obvious benefit, if the prison holds 10,000 to 100,000 inmates, that town suddenly received a big influx in population. Its also a population that has no say in how things are done in that town, but it gains that town federal and state subsidies for what has become a population of 10,250 to 100,250 people.

Good money all around, right?

Who is going to complain? The poor and disenfranchised that many would prefer to see off the streets anyway?

Who would listen to their complaints? I mean sure, these people can vote if they have never been incarcerated for a felony crime, but they probably can't donate all that much to their preferred candidates.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:53 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Many drug addicts are highly functional. If you work in an office, take a look around, there's a good chance at least one or two of your co workers are addicts. All addicts are not out stealing and living on the streets. Many addicts are doctors, lawyers, business owners and other "contributors." They are struggling, this doesn't make them worthless people.
^^^ So true. There's a good documentary on Adderall on Netflex. Now one of the drugs of choice for college students and professional people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Then decriminalize drugs.Make them available. That will put the cartels out of business and keep users out of jail.

Then if they want to kill themselves it's on them (without imports of drugs laced with God knows what, ODs will decrease to a point where they were when I was in college)
I've been saying this for a long time. Mainly because it's so obvious that our 'War on Drugs' doesn't work and never has.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:27 AM

3,318 posts, read 1,818,241 times
Dumping a lot of money into criminalizing what is rightfully a medical problem keeps law enforcement, social workers, and prison systems healthily employed.

The attendant corruption, disrespect for the law, big paydays for organized crime, and stigmatization of the 'disadvantaged underclass' is just a bonus.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:33 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Then decriminalize drugs.Make them available. That will put the cartels out of business and keep users out of jail.
What would happen to Law enforcement if that happened though? They would all the sudden have much less to do, more importantly, they could no longer justify the huge budgets and staffing levels they currently get, not to even mention the prison industry, who would likely go bankrupt very soon after this.

In order to keep the quotas up and jail cells filled, there MUST be laws that enough people are consistently willing to break, drug laws do this perfectly.

Then there are the drug cartels, who would also go bankrupt, (unless they became legit distributors), but if heroin were totally legal, there is no way they could charge $150-200 per gram, 80% of that cost is due to the risk involved.

The DEA and US law enforcement needs the drug cartels as much as the cartels need the DEA and LE agencies. They both work hand in hand and both benefit from the other.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:55 AM

17,576 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
True....but it's a war that we're fighting and we're losing. There's more supply out there than they are man power...to try to control it.

I am NOT an advocate of drugs. As a former drug user, I can testify that they are the devil. But if someone wants to inject themselves with that poison, who are we to say that they should go to jail for doing so? I would rather wait until they commit the crime for us to take action.
Well said and congratulations on being a FORMER DRUG USER!

Old 03-25-2018, 12:01 PM

17,576 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
What would happen to Law enforcement if that happened though? They would all the sudden have much less to do, more importantly, they could no longer justify the huge budgets and staffing levels they currently get, not to even mention the prison industry, who would likely go bankrupt very soon after this.

In order to keep the quotas up and jail cells filled, there MUST be laws that enough people are consistently willing to break, drug laws do this perfectly.

Then there are the drug cartels, who would also go bankrupt, (unless they became legit distributors), but if heroin were totally legal, there is no way they could charge $150-200 per gram, 80% of that cost is due to the risk involved.

The DEA and US law enforcement needs the drug cartels as much as the cartels need the DEA and LE agencies. They both work hand in hand and both benefit from the other.
Once again, I call BS!

Old 03-25-2018, 01:45 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Quote:
1st, one death is too many, I do not want to minimize this problem. Before you bang on me, I am a pharmacist and fully understand the issues involved in "the drug epidemic"

Why the Hell is our government throwing so much money at a problem that is for the most part self induced? Isn't this money better spent on cancer, heart disease and other diseases that plague mankind?

If someone wants to kill him, or herself, that's their problem, not mine.

Thoughts?
You're correct Mike. Why did you even become a pharmacist? You should have become a traffic attendant and cut down on the driving deaths...that's even bigger!

A long time ago I audited a methadone clinic in Chicago. The first time I went to the client I was told to make sure I bring gloves because I might get TB. Money was tight. A lot of the counselors were quit addicts as well. Some of the people looked like junkies. Some of the people were dressed in work clothes. Some were in professional work clothes.

I dunno, I'm glad it was there. It seemed to help some people. The government wastes money on worse.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:41 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
For me its a freedom issue. People should be free to make a choice. Anyone think that the word hasn't gotten out about heroin being bad for you? Drinking and drunk driving. If people are functional it isn't so bad. When people are resorting to crime?Then it changes. For me, pot should be legal.It is like having a beer. I used to travel a lot and meth is what I call "a nation destroyer" That stuff is frying peoples brains everywhere. Maybe some compassion over jail time is what is needed.
People who earn an honest living also should be free from the hassles of those who want to take advantage and steal from us. Where is the compassion for those of work all our lives and do contribute to, not contaminate, society?

Old 03-25-2018, 02:46 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
I wonder how many of Rush Limbaugh's "dittoheads" are here calling opiate addicts worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates