Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 02:54 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking this morning that I WISH there were illegal immigrants in my part of the country. I'd LOVE to have a nice hard working immigrant come work for me. I'd give them housing, pay them a good wage, and help their kids go to college. I'm just so sick of drunk white guys doing a terrible job at any basic handyman task I need done. Unfortunately it's completely impossible to find anyone to do basic ordinary work in 2018 in many parts of our country.

So the answer to the question posed in the tread title is: My needs (1st world) as a native citizen would be best met by satisfying the (3rd world) needs of an immigrant. Yes, that is kind of elitist, I know.

Our country NEEDS immigrants. The problem I think we have now is defining exactly who we want to come here. Obviously we don't want criminals coming in, but we do want people who want to work.

America needs a "Guest Worker" program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 04:07 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I was just thinking this morning that I WISH there were illegal immigrants in my part of the country. I'd LOVE to have a nice hard working immigrant come work for me. I'd give them housing, pay them a good wage, and help their kids go to college. I'm just so sick of drunk white guys doing a terrible job at any basic handyman task I need done. Unfortunately it's completely impossible to find anyone to do basic ordinary work in 2018 in many parts of our country.

So the answer to the question posed in the tread title is: My needs (1st world) as a native citizen would be best met by satisfying the (3rd world) needs of an immigrant. Yes, that is kind of elitist, I know.

Our country NEEDS immigrants. The problem I think we have now is defining exactly who we want to come here. Obviously we don't want criminals coming in, but we do want people who want to work.

If "drunk white guys" aren't getting the job done, then you hire someone else. You might have to pay a higher wage for that labor, but that's the price of business.

I always get a chuckle out of people who act like the lawncare and construction industries would die if illegal labor were not available. Who do you think built homes, cut grass, hung drywall, etc. 30, 40, 50+ years ago? Blue collar Americans. Or legal immigrants. And there is no shortage of them.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:14 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:

Where do you live? In suburban metro Denver, I try to hire "natives" instead of recent immigrants for my repair and remodeling, and I have never had a problem with anyone showing up drunk, and 90% of the time, I am pleased with the results.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:55 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Doesn't a significant percent of illegal immigrants start out as legal immigrants who illegally overstay?
I think you are referring to people who came into this country either with a tourist visa or who did not need a tourist visa (depending on their country) and who then overstayed the amount of time they were legally allowed to stay in this country. Many of those try to find an American citizen to marry so that they won't have to go back to their home country.

Yes, they are illegal.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:13 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Seems like the core divided issue on the immigration debate is which matters more: the needs of the people wanting to immigrate or the needs of people already living in the host nation. Which matters more? Should both be considered equally? Should only one need be the deciding factor?
What kills me about the "immigration" debate is that it's not even about immigrants.

I think the needs of legitimate immigrants have been met. They do very well here, they are well treated, they have the same rights that any American has. This is great country for immigrants. Our system works well for them.

People who scam their way into the united states and are living and working here unlawfully don't deserve any of that. They aren't supposed to be here. They have no right to come here and make demands or pretend that they are being persecuted. If they need something, it's not our problem - they should go back to their country of origin and get it.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:46 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
If "drunk white guys" aren't getting the job done, then you hire someone else. You might have to pay a higher wage for that labor, but that's the price of business.

I always get a chuckle out of people who act like the lawncare and construction industries would die if illegal labor were not available. Who do you think built homes, cut grass, hung drywall, etc. 30, 40, 50+ years ago? Blue collar Americans. Or legal immigrants. And there is no shortage of them.
I live in a very rural state in the middle of the country. No, there AREN'T other options than drunk white guys. There is a shortage of people willing to work in my area. Even the teens and college kids don't want to do the kind of basic work I did as a kid. There is no one else to hire except useless dumb drunk white guys. Yes, the businesses that are here really can't find enough workers. The guy who used to do my lawn went out of business because he can't find anyone reliable to work for him. A business in town that made pre-fab housing went out of business here and moved to another state because they couldn't find enough reliable and sober workers. All the manufacturers in my region are DESPERATE for welders and line workers. There are signs up everywhere, and ads in the paper all the time.

Also, I recently went to a lecture about the economy of my state. It's simply a fact that there aren't enough skilled workers for available jobs here.

Bring on the illegals, I WANT guest workers to come here and stay! As long as they stay away from the booze and drugs. That is what is really killing rural America, not immigrants, but drugs.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:56 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Depends on the party. Democrats will put immigrants first, especially illegals. Republicans will put Americans first.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:09 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
I live in a very rural state in the middle of the country. No, there AREN'T other options than drunk white guys. There is a shortage of people willing to work in my area. Even the teens and college kids don't want to do the kind of basic work I did as a kid. There is no one else to hire except useless dumb drunk white guys. Yes, the businesses that are here really can't find enough workers. The guy who used to do my lawn went out of business because he can't find anyone reliable to work for him. A business in town that made pre-fab housing went out of business here and moved to another state because they couldn't find enough reliable and sober workers. All the manufacturers in my region are DESPERATE for welders and line workers. There are signs up everywhere, and ads in the paper all the time.

Also, I recently went to a lecture about the economy of my state. It's simply a fact that there aren't enough skilled workers for available jobs here.

Bring on the illegals, I WANT guest workers to come here and stay! As long as they stay away from the booze and drugs. That is what is really killing rural America, not immigrants, but drugs.
I regularly see articles about how employers can't find workers who can pass a drug test. Here are just a few:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/27/us/re...ing/index.html

Companies struggling to find workers because of failed drug tests

https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...ea2766e5a.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.207370c43176

Old 06-21-2018, 09:14 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Depends on the party. Democrats will put immigrants first, especially illegals. Republicans will put Americans first.
No. That is not true at all.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:49 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Cool Which party puts who first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
So, tell us...

Why do the Pubs oppose employer sanctions against the corporations hiring illegals?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates