Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 07:02 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Can you identify anyone whose definition of pro-life excludes the life of the woman?
Do I need to? That's who I was trying to get to come and respond. You won't be getting a special invitation if they respond in the thread. If you think they don't exist, well then...

Old 06-10-2019, 07:22 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,355,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
How does your definition of pro-life not include the life of the woman?
Easy. Whoever’s life is in danger, saves them. It makes sense to save a woman’s life if the fetus is going to put her in danger. Now, killing the fetus because it is going to inconvenience the poor irresponsible, inconsiderate skank makes no moral sense. Sorry. Not one ounce of sympathy when it is used fir birth control, after the fact.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:31 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Hell babies aren't capable of feeding themselves until what 2?
Depends. If it's a male baby it's well beyond teenager.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:14 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Pregnancy itself is not a life threatening condition.
It can be for some women. About 700 die each year from pregnancy complications.

https://www.cdc.gov/reproductiveheal...dmortality.htm

Old 06-11-2019, 02:08 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
How does your definition of pro-life not include the life of the woman?

It does, and must by necessity, include the life of the woman. If she dies, then so does the baby.

It's awfully presumptuous of you to think otherwise, OP.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:57 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
This is old history and one extremely religious Roman Catholic tells me it's no longer the case- but in the 1970s a woman wrote about traveling in Italy and having abdominal pains. Since she was sexually active, an ectopic pregnancy was a possibility. They made it clear they would not treat an ectopic pregnancy because removing the zygote from the Fallopian tube where it had implanted itself (and had no chance of going full term) would be an abortion, which was against the law. Fortunately, it turned out she had some other medical issue.

Anyone know if this is current thinking anywhere?
What? I am pro-life but an ectopic pregnancy is non-viable & fatal for the woman if not surgically removed. I believe we are lucky to live during a time where this occurrence can be surgically managed.

I was raised Catholic & I’ve never heard anyone refer to this procedure as an abortion.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:25 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
It does, and must by necessity, include the life of the woman. If she dies, then so does the baby.

It's awfully presumptuous of you to think otherwise, OP.
You don't speak for everyone. That's who I was seeking out with this thread to ask. I didn't presume anything, I asked a question. Your assumption is outside the frame of my question. Do you not think there are people who think no matter what abortion is out of the question? Perhaps none of them will respond. Even then there is still going to be a gray area of acceptable risk which (for some of), would be relative.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:41 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
I don't want to see back alley abortions become the only way to terminate a pregnancy, however I think the decision to terminate should be made early in the first trimester. These days women can find out they are pregnant even before they have missed a period so there is no reason not to terminate asap.

Also, if I was carrying a child with severe conditions that might not live or would be severely handicapped all its life I would want an abortion because I know I'm not the kind of person that could deal with something like this. If the mother's health is in danger, that decision should be hers and only hers to make along with her doctor. Some women would still go ahead, while other won't. Who are we to judge?

While in my heart I hate the thought of abortion because of my belief that life begins at conception I also don't feel a woman should be forced to have a baby she doesn't want so I'm really torn about the whole issue.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:18 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,084,826 times
I recently found out one of my cousins (adopted) was raped. My aunt let it out to me and I don't think she should have.

That said, he's the sweetest person I really know. A truly good egg - he works two jobs, has gotten married and had a son and bought his first house within the last 5 years.

I've hung out with him a million times and trust him with my life...and even though my Aunt probably should not have let me know about it (I am not the best at keeping secrets, and that's now a big one I have to keep for the rest of my life) but I don't feel differently about him as a human being.

He really is a good kid and anyone here who ever met him would concur. Never broken a law in his life.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:39 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Easy. Whoever’s life is in danger, saves them. It makes sense to save a woman’s life if the fetus is going to put her in danger. Now, killing the fetus because it is going to inconvenience the poor irresponsible, inconsiderate skank makes no moral sense. Sorry. Not one ounce of sympathy when it is used fir birth control, after the fact.
Wow that's a rather misogynistic view of women. Skanks? really? My husband's grandmother had an abortion during the depression. They had 4 children and no jobs. It was absolutely horrendous for her. I guarantee, she was no skank. Does birth control fail? Yes it does. Is the planet over crowded? Yes it is. Look, I understand what you're saying about using abortions for birth control. I personally could never have one, but that's me. I don't pretend to think that I have the right to dictate what another woman does with her body. There's a million stories out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates