Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 07:52 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I don't want to see back alley abortions become the only way to terminate a pregnancy, however I think the decision to terminate should be made early in the first trimester. These days women can find out they are pregnant even before they have missed a period so there is no reason not to terminate asap.
Not really. Implantation of a fertilized egg can be from 5 to 10 days. As well fertilization can take as long as 5 days after sex. So it can be as much as 15 day after sex that you become pregnant. It is suggeste one wait fa few days after a missed period before taking a home pregnancy test.

So say it takes 15 days to know your pregnant, then what? First you have to make a dr. appt. How long does that typically take? Survey says 3 weeks. So now your 6 weeks pregnant. Hope your not in a state trying to pass the heartbeat bill. Ok now you have to find a facility that preforms abortions. In 2014 there were 7 in my state. Have to make another appointment, and find the $$ to pay for it, perhaps travel hundreds of miles.
If your lucky your not in a state that makes you jump through hoops. Like requiring a second appointment, getting a vaginal ultrasound, etc. which could take additional weeks even months with appointments and travel.
So yes, legislation is making it increasingly difficult to terminate asap.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:20 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
As a young woman I was fiercely pro-choice. As I have grown I've come to a deep respect for all living things including animals, their eggs and foetii, trees and flowers, lakes and rivers and lower life forms.

I realize I'm in no position to sit in judgement on this issue nor do I believe is anyone else other than those it affects. I'm astounded at the presumption that anyone can dictate what is the correct answer. Only those who can magically predict the future know if they are right.

I think people tend to argue this without much thought to the non-scientific implications. It's an individual and spiritual decision related to how one views his part in the flow of life and is not without consequences both positive and negative.

It appears someone has to make decisions about this in a society but it won't be me. I will mourn the loss of all potential be it an aborted child, a broken egg or a trampled tulip.
Yes.

I am very much pro birth control. And very much pro services for struggling families. I wish no one would ever feel the need to go through abortion. But, in spite of laws and prohibitions, they will. Better to regulate, I think.

If you are against abortion, your job is to advocate and teach. And to support easy access to woman controlled birth control.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Easy. Whoever’s life is in danger, saves them. It makes sense to save a woman’s life if the fetus is going to put her in danger. Now, killing the fetus because it is going to inconvenience the poor irresponsible, inconsiderate skank makes no moral sense. Sorry. Not one ounce of sympathy when it is used fir birth control, after the fact.
So is every woman who has sex a poor irresponsible inconsiderate skank, or every woman who gets pregnant or every woman who chooses to abort. Or do you have someone particular in mind?
The image that comes to my mind from your description is Tiffiany Dogget the fictional character from Orange is the new Black. Is that how you envision women who abort or women in general?

Old 06-11-2019, 10:42 AM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Do I need to?
Seeing how that's the entire premise of your question... yeah, you kind of do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
That's who I was trying to get to come and respond. You won't be getting a special invitation if they respond in the thread. If you think they don't exist, well then...
The very premise of your question assumes their existence. So I ask again -- who are these people you're referring to? Or do you make a habit of posing random questions to unidentified groups of people who may not even exist?

Old 06-11-2019, 11:03 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I don't think the issue is really pro-life. It's pro birth. Many conservatives and the religious rite believe in pro birth. They don't care that the baby is being carried by a woman, therefore she deserves no rights. When a child is born and becomes a man or a woman, these same people, most of the time, believes they should be executed if the crime is horrendous, or if they are a minority and the cops are killing a segment of society, they are not coming to their defense and defending their lives.

Only the birth matters...not the life...
Sadly, I think you're right.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Easy. Whoever’s life is in danger, saves them. It makes sense to save a woman’s life if the fetus is going to put her in danger. Now, killing the fetus because it is going to inconvenience the poor irresponsible, inconsiderate skank makes no moral sense. Sorry. Not one ounce of sympathy when it is used fir birth control, after the fact.
This is exactly the type of logic that makes me lean towards being pro-choice. Most women who find themselves pregnant are not "inconsiderate skanks". Perhaps it's actually the men who are the inconsiderate skanks. Or perhaps both people that made bad decisions...as we all do on a somewhat regular basis. They may be irresponsible, but aren't we all in our lives at one point or another...or many...or in your choice of language?

Old 06-11-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I don't want to see back alley abortions become the only way to terminate a pregnancy, however I think the decision to terminate should be made early in the first trimester. These days women can find out they are pregnant even before they have missed a period so there is no reason not to terminate asap.

Also, if I was carrying a child with severe conditions that might not live or would be severely handicapped all its life I would want an abortion because I know I'm not the kind of person that could deal with something like this. If the mother's health is in danger, that decision should be hers and only hers to make along with her doctor. Some women would still go ahead, while other won't. Who are we to judge?

While in my heart I hate the thought of abortion because of my belief that life begins at conception I also don't feel a woman should be forced to have a baby she doesn't want so I'm really torn about the whole issue.
This is a good post.

It is disgusting to me that so many pro-life people can't at least see the POV of pro-choice people.
It is disgusting to me that so many pro-choice people can't at least see the POV of pro-life people.
And that problem is why this nation is unable to come to some middle ground on this issue.

While I lean toward being pro-choice, I have yet to meet a pro-choice person who thinks abortion is a good, desirable thing.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:25 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is a good post.

It is disgusting to me that so many pro-life people can't at least see the POV of pro-choice people.
It is disgusting to me that so many pro-choice people can't at least see the POV of pro-life people.
And that problem is why this nation is unable to come to some middle ground on this issue.

While I lean toward being pro-choice, I have yet to meet a pro-choice person who thinks abortion is a good, desirable thing.
Quote:

Also, if I was carrying a child with severe conditions that might not live or would be severely handicapped all its life I would want an abortion because I know I'm not the kind of person that could deal with something like this. If the mother's health is in danger, that decision should be hers and only hers to make along with her doctor. Some women would still go ahead, while other won't. Who are we to judge?

While in my heart I hate the thought of abortion because of my belief that life begins at conception I also don't feel a woman should be forced to have a baby she doesn't want so I'm really torn about the whole issue.
The laws dictate that if a woman is murdered with a fetus/child/human inside them that the perpetrator (murderer) is often charged with double murder.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
The laws dictate that if a woman is murdered with a fetus/child/human inside them that the perpetrator (murderer) is often charged with double murder.
I'm not at all clear how that applies to my post which you cited.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
What do state and federal fetal homicide laws have to do with abortion laws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates