Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 01:55 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,644,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
The three richest people have more wealth than 160 million other Americans.
So? What is the point you're trying to make?

Quote:
Those 160 million put every penny they have back into the economy on food clothing and shelter. If billionaires were forced to spend the money they make instead of hoarding it we would have a better economy.
I see you never studied economics. There are some excellent free online classes you can take if you're interested.

At the end of the day, in aggregate, total savings ("hoarding" in your view) equals total investment. S=I. We want to encourage investment, as increased standards of living tomorrow are largely the result of investment today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 01:56 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I am probably more against it than for it for the simple reason that the stupid government is already too damn big. It was too big decades ago. No amount of money would ever be enough. They bring in ridiculous amounts of dollars now and are 20+ trillion dollars in debt. They spend without restraint. If, and when, the interest rates go back up, that buzzard is coming home to roost with a vengeance. We don’t need to send more money to the government. They need to demonstrate some ability to reasonably manage they money they bring in now. It’s absurd.
So let the billionaires keep all their earnings and have everyone else pay the taxes, how does that make sense. People who are accumulating numbers because that's what it is for them a game to see who dies with the most money are the people who are fooling you.

How lucky for billionaires that they have broke people, that's what they call you if you have less then $! billion being on their side and agreeing that they shouldn't pay taxes.

That's the most insane argument, don't make the billionaires pay tax it won't be enough so let them keep it. Congrats you let them gaslight you.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:04 PM

339 posts, read 148,388 times
I'm in favor of improving the system we do have in this country instead of democratic candidates so called ideas of generating some type of wealth tax!

Agreed with DEFIANTNJ!!!

#1 Defense-Cut the unnecessary war mongering! If there needs to be war let the military-industrial complex pay for it! Or sell more weapons to other countries etc...

#2. Corporate Welfare-Tax Corps around 20% and no zero taxes allowed!

#3. Pharma makes A LOT of money! They need to stop gouging!

#4. The Wealthy should not be allowed to dodge taxes, I am pretty much in favor of a flat 20% Federal tax on everyone-no deductions for any reason! The states that charge tax-5-10%. If the Governments can't live on that they need to cut the bloat. Let the government live on that, whatever else can't be paid then sorry out of luck. Also, let other countries pay more for their defense and other needs.

#5. Religious Organizations should not be tax exempt any longer. 10% Tax on all of them.

Last edited by FierceKaia; 10-25-2019 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: spacing

Old 10-25-2019, 02:04 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
So you only think our politicians should be funded by evil corporations? and they should be the ones running the nation and not people elected by citizens?

You don't have a clue what I said much less think, and you don't have a clue how much billionaires are paying.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Well yes and he probably pays 15 or 20% on those earnings. While middle class has an effective tax rate of 30% or so. This needs to be changed so that billionaires at least pay the same or slightly larger effective tax rates than middle class.

You're mixing apples and oranges. You can dumbly argue that capital gains tax should be the same as income tax but it would still be far less than 30%.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:08 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
So? What is the point you're trying to make?

I see you never studied economics. There are some excellent free online classes you can take if you're interested.

At the end of the day, in aggregate, total savings ("hoarding" in your view) equals total investment. S=I. We want to encourage investment, as increased standards of living tomorrow are largely the result of investment today.
You were badly taught. the 99% spending most or all of their money to buy goods and services is what makes the economy tick. Plus letting kids put themselves in debt by borrowing from these awful for profit colleges that are a waste of money, and letting credit card debt run amok. That's how they keep the masses down by keeping them desperate and fooling them into thinking that billionaires are better than them and should not pay taxes.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:13 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
So us poor folks can keep worshiping the rich, work harder for less being their slaves so we'll all be rich!

Mwhaha roared the rich elites.

Here are your breadcrumbs peasants...

OR...

"That's OK. I'll just pick up my marbles, my manufacturing plants and my spending power and go someplace else to play."

Like back in the 70's, when all the English rock bands came over to the USA to live, because the taxes were so high in the UK.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:27 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,955 times
Quote:
So let the billionaires keep all their earnings and have everyone else pay the taxes, how does that make sense. People who are accumulating numbers because that's what it is for them a game to see who dies with the most money are the people who are fooling you.

How lucky for billionaires that they have broke people, that's what they call you if you have less then $! billion being on their side and agreeing that they shouldn't pay taxes.

That's the most insane argument, don't make the billionaires pay tax it won't be enough so let them keep it. Congrats you let them gaslight you.
What do I care what they make? Do the math, take all that wealth, ALL of it from the billionaires and see how far it goes and how long it lasts spread out over 300,000,000+ people and the governments at all levels. It’s a drop in the bucket and the most temporary of reprieves. The solution to unrestrained spending is not ever more taxes. It is responsible fiscal management and limited government. My $0.02. I know you disagree so we can agree to disagree.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:46 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
On a personal level, I really don't care. It will never impact me and someone that rich paying more taxes isn't going to materially impact their lives.
That's the spirit! Reminds me of the local villagers in Germany in 1944 that tried to ignore that strange smell coming from the nearby camps.

Old 10-25-2019, 03:02 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,199 times
Quote:
You were badly taught. the 99% spending most or all of their money to buy goods and services is what makes the economy tick. Plus letting kids put themselves in debt by borrowing from these awful for profit colleges that are a waste of money, and letting credit card debt run amok. That's how they keep the masses down by keeping them desperate and fooling them into thinking that billionaires are better than them and should not pay taxes.
Badly taught? Even after dominating this thread with your posts, your ignorance of economics hasn't improved.

Where did you learn your unfortunate envy of others? Was is an event as a child? We would like to help you.

We all pay taxes as prescribed by law. If you dont like the rates, your representative's contact information is online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates