Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 06:46 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'm a female and a gun owner. I think that was beyond ridiculous. It made no sense to me. What were they trying to prove??? They honestly looked stupid

Men who pretend to be women are accepted and mainstream media says we can't call them stupid so why is someone carrying a rifle stupid? If you're actually a sane gun owner you need to realize every time you cave to the grabbers demands they just ask for more and they're not stopping until you've turned yours in and at the same time they're releasing thousands of criminals who are going to re offend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 07:02 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Just to put it into perspective most gun violence in the United States, other than suicide, is gang-related or involving drugs, committed with hand guns and the gun is stolen or unregistered. This is according to the US Bureau of Justice.

In nearby state Illinois, Chicago specifically, 750 people have been shot so far this year. It's doubtful that any large number of the shooters were wearing camo or had organized gun training. They probably were also illegally concealing their weapons.

Half of all gun deaths are suicides. That percentage is a little higher in Michigan.

I'm as concerned about suicide and gun violence as anyone but it's possible some people are putting their concern in areas of low incidence. Facts are more useful than speculation.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:20 PM

11 posts, read 4,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
I think we should begin to recognize that threatening our local and state governments, as well as our citizenry, is an act of treason. The presence of weapons like rocket launchers and rifles is not only lunacy, but a threat.

Moreover, why are these mostly white people getting away with it? (We know why.)

I think we (meaning the sane) can all agree that if groups of blacks were stomping around with missile launchers in front of state capitals, etc., the response would be entirely different.
You ain't never lied.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:31 PM

Mind readers here?

If this, if that. . .

How about sticking to facts?

Old 05-23-2020, 07:38 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Actually, the gun is being used. OP is right. It's being used to say something just like a placard is. But that "speech" is life threatening, and is a "dare".....as in "I dare you to disagree with me...'cuz if you do, I'm gonna kill ya". And that's to our government(s) and citizenry.

No sign can kill.
No bullhorn can kill.
And those items aren't brought to a protest with intent.

IMO, they can protest all they want. I have no desire to censor, as you say.

It's the guns that make it treasonous. And they are the actual censors - "shut up or you're dead".
You are mistaken in your definition of treasonous. You might want to take a look at Article 3 of the United States Constitution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Men who pretend to be women are accepted and mainstream media says we can't call them stupid so why is someone carrying a rifle stupid? If you're actually a sane gun owner you need to realize every time you cave to the grabbers demands they just ask for more and they're not stopping until you've turned yours in and at the same time they're releasing thousands of criminals who are going to re offend.
It's not caving to anything to consider openly carrying long arms to a protest counterproductive.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:06 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You are mistaken in your definition of treasonous. You might want to take a look at Article 3 of the United States Constitution

It's not caving to anything to consider openly carrying long arms to a protest counterproductive.

Yes it is, every time you willingly give up your rights to them they go after more. How is legally carrying a weapon any more counterproductive than carrying signs or screaming at people. Both are exercising rights.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:12 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,510,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
It's their right.

It's no different than people marching with "Abortion is Murder" (or "My Body, My Choice") placards.. People burning the flag or the nutsy fagans at Westboro Baptist Church with their "God Hates ****" signs.

To have a free society you have to give others free speech that you might not agree with. And whether you like it or you don't like it.. What they're doing, along with the folks in the other examples I mentioned above, is exercising their free speech.

And.. Yes.. Sometimes people should remember the old adage about it being better to let people think you're an idiot than opening your mouth and removing all doubt. That holds true in free speech events as well.
None of the groups you mentioned parade around with AR-15's. Big difference.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:18 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,510,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Yes it is, every time you willingly give up your rights to them they go after more. How is legally carrying a weapon any more counterproductive than carrying signs or screaming at people. Both are exercising rights.
The 2nd Amendment does not give people the right to own any weapon they want. I'm not anti-gun. I grew up hunting in Nebraska (mostly birdshot), but I never understood these loons that think that owning an AR-15 is a good thing. They have absolutely no utility other than to kill people. That mass murder that happened in Dayton last year involved a weapon that killed 9 people in 29 seconds, and injured over 20. A shotgun or a rifle could never do that kind of damage in 29 seconds. Semi-automatics should be banned.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
None of the groups you mentioned parade around with AR-15's. Big difference.
There's also a huge difference between carrying a gun and shooting someone with it.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:37 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Or paranoid. Usually it's a fair mix of each.

Paranoid about the nature of the threat they believe is being faced ...
and delusional about their ability to a act meaningfully to counter an actual real threat.

Yeah it is. They've made it so.
Similar situation here. I have a rifle, a handgun, and a carry conceal permit.

However, I think those crazy gun toters in MI belong int he looney bin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates