Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 03:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times

Advertisements

Recently, we've all seen the photos of the armed protestors on the steps of the state capitals. Are these guys delusional or what? Do these guys think they are in a movie?

This is real life. Who were they going to shoot? If they shot any counter protestors, that would be murder. If law enforcement had a reason to ask them to leave, they would have to comply. Were they going to engage in a full shootout with police on the grounds of a government building?

Now, this isn't a discussion about the second amendment. They can own guns. That's not the issue.

This alleged "show of force" is just theater being performed by people who think they are living in a Rambo movie.

Plus, there are a ton of other problematic issues that are clearly on display here.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 05:22 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Gun Guys - Delusional or what?
Or paranoid. Usually it's a fair mix of each.

Paranoid about the nature of the threat they believe is being faced ...
and delusional about their ability to a act meaningfully to counter an actual real threat.

Quote:
Now, this isn't a discussion about the second amendment.
Yeah it is. They've made it so.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:47 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
I'm a gun guy.

I conceal carry a gun daily, just about every time I leave the house.

My "arsenal" includes over a dozen handguns and long guns.

Those mouthbreathers who carry assault rifles into state capitols don't do the cause of gun rights any favors.

Maybe it's best to just let the coronavirus weed them out.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:28 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,680,678 times
After my military time was served I didn't really want guns as a staple in life. I'm not against those who want guns though. Through the years I've noted a sharp increase in the number of gun nuts, as opposed to gun owners in general. Many of those gun toting wingnuts at various state capital's looked like something out of Hollywood's central casting, it wasn't the guns that stood out but rather their manner of dress and their comical attempts to look mean and tough. Mostly over weight, out of shape, tragicomedy characters, they most likely were amped up on their adrenaline rush of an imagined take over from authority.

The entire theatrical aspect of these wannabe tough guys is more than disturbing, knowing that within their ranks lurks a few dangerous types who can't wait for "the revolution" they dream about. In their twisted thinking they will be taking on the US Army airborne units, guns blazing fire--as they overwhelm the imagined enemy with their popguns and delusional military skills. In realty--Of course they would be shot to pieces, or blown up in a single sweep attack from above.

Just knowing that there are people who get dressed up in sloppy paramilitary costume and go out in public should be enough evidence to demonstrate the mental instability of such people. Oh yeah, some are seemingly, ordinary fathers, brothers, husbands, and yes they would say "we're just really angry," but there is way more to that effort--to simply don the armor of their paranoid delusions is one thing-- but, to actually believe that they could/would take on the elements of armed authority, allows us a peek into the minds of the dangerously mentally ill.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:34 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post

Just knowing that there are people who get dressed up in sloppy paramilitary costume and go out in public should be enough evidence to demonstrate the mental instability of such people.
Yes...

A bunch of wannabes.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:34 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,352,099 times
I think we should begin to recognize that threatening our local and state governments, as well as our citizenry, is an act of treason. The presence of weapons like rocket launchers and rifles is not only lunacy, but a threat.

Moreover, why are these mostly white people getting away with it? (We know why.)

I think we (meaning the sane) can all agree that if groups of blacks were stomping around with missile launchers in front of state capitals, etc., the response would be entirely different.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:00 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,510,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
I think we should begin to recognize that threatening our local and state governments, as well as our citizenry, is an act of treason. The presence of weapons like rocket launchers and rifles is not only lunacy, but a threat.

Moreover, why are these mostly white people getting away with it? (We know why.)

I think we (meaning the sane) can all agree that if groups of blacks were stomping around with missile launchers in front of state capitals, etc., the response would be entirely different.
Or a bunch of Muslim guys dressed up like Imams.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:11 PM

5,746 posts, read 4,707,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post

Missle launchers?

What in the heck are you talking about?

Private citizens cannot have missle launchers.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:26 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Recently, we've all seen the photos of the armed protestors on the steps of the state capitals. Are these guys delusional or what? Do these guys think they are in a movie?

This is real life. Who were they going to shoot? If they shot any counter protestors, that would be murder. If law enforcement had a reason to ask them to leave, they would have to comply. Were they going to engage in a full shootout with police on the grounds of a government building?

Now, this isn't a discussion about the second amendment. They can own guns. That's not the issue.

This alleged "show of force" is just theater being performed by people who think they are living in a Rambo movie.

Plus, there are a ton of other problematic issues that are clearly on display here.

Thoughts?

It's their right.

It's no different than people marching with "Abortion is Murder" (or "My Body, My Choice") placards.. People burning the flag or the nutsy fagans at Westboro Baptist Church with their "God Hates ****" signs.

To have a free society you have to give others free speech that you might not agree with. And whether you like it or you don't like it.. What they're doing, along with the folks in the other examples I mentioned above, is exercising their free speech.

And.. Yes.. Sometimes people should remember the old adage about it being better to let people think you're an idiot than opening your mouth and removing all doubt. That holds true in free speech events as well.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:32 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,247,467 times
The AR-15 has become a symbol in the last 20 years. There are preferential reasons to want that particular platform, especially for the customizations. However, I'd guess over half the buyers of that weapon do so based on the desire to make a statement of politics and identity.

A variety of rifles are the same damn thing functionally speaking as an AR 15 but they don't have "taciti-cool" look. E.g.: the Mini-14. You don't see people parading those around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates