Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 02:12 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
And.. again... *BIG sigh*... what does this have to do with the OP!?!? Please stay on topic!!
Because as I've been repeating again and again (in case you somehow, some way missed my posts)...the crux of the situation is that men DO have a choice. It comes into play when they make sure for themselves that they are protected. So, it's very pertinent to the OP's post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 02:44 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Because as I've been repeating again and again (in case you somehow, some way missed my posts)...the crux of the situation is that men DO have a choice. It comes into play when they make sure for themselves that they are protected. So, it's very pertinent to the OP's post.
Okay... I'm open to debate with anyone who understands the issue in the thread...

Old 10-24-2008, 02:49 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times
Quote:
Okay... I'm open to debate with anyone who understands the issue in the thread...
Then maybe you shouldn't be here, because you're the one that doesn't understand. I'll try once more for you:

1: OP wants to know why men don't get a choice.
2: I say they do have a choice, and it's to make sure they don't create unwanted children. Part of that is taking responsibility for your own birth control.
3: Any questions?

Old 10-24-2008, 06:26 PM

650 posts, read 2,178,887 times
Quote:
Look... I really don't understand why the point seems to continue to be missed here?

What the point is NOT:
1. Men shirking on their responsibility as a father.
2. Men not wearing condoms, or else practicing abstinence
3. Men not paying child support
4. Who is at fault for the woman getting pregnant.
5. The rights of the unborn, or born child.

Any of these can be brought up in a separate discussion topic.

What IS the issue:

Why is it that women control the entire situation with the baby? They can determine whether they are ready for a child (financially, emotionally, etc.) or not. They control the right to have the baby or not. But, the male of the coupling has no rights and cannot make the same determination. Is this really fair?

If we stick to discussing the issue instead of digressing, I think more intelligent responses can be discussed.
I couldn't rep you anymore, so I wanted to say that this was well said!

Old 10-24-2008, 10:37 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post
I Briefly caught the Dr. Phil show today and the story line caught my eye. I never watch this show but while flipping through I had to view this story.

It was about Fathers who are demanded to pay child support for a baby they never knew existed.

What are your thoughts on this matter? Do you think the woman is the only one that has right of choice? and why.

My opinion is: What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If woman are allowed to have the right to choose then so should the man. I don't mean that the man has a right to force a woman to have an abortion but the man should have the right to say either put the baby up for adoption or the woman takes sole responsibility. You can't have it both ways. The big womens choice movement cant just benefit the woman. There is an abundance of willing and loving parents waiting for a baby to love.
My first reaction is why didn't the women tell the men they were fathers?

Also there are too many women who don't know their baby's fathers and just push it off onto the man who makes the most and prays he doesn't ask for a paternity test.

If it is his, then he should have the right to visitation and to get to know his child before just slapping on child support money.
Or else sign off all rights to the child and carry on with your life.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:25 AM

513 posts, read 896,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
Like I said, I am pro-life, so I don't agree with abortion, period. However, just because the WOMAN is the one who has to endure the burden of a pregnancy shouldn't mean that the man should have to pay. If a woman has the option to have unprotected sex, get pregnant and have an abortion or keep the baby, the man should have all of those same rights. If you are saying that since it is only the woman who can carry the child, she gets the most rights, then she should be the one completely responsible for birth control. The men in this situation have absolutely no rights, and the woman are getting to make all of teh decisions about their lives.

I think that if abortion is a legal option for woman, the man should have just as much right to turn his back on the situation.

Another poster said something about what about the rights of the child? How come the child's rights are called into question when a father wants to bail out, but not when the mother doesn't want to give him life to begin with? You can't have it both ways!

Very well said!!!

Old 10-25-2008, 03:53 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,275 times
How about this,
Let there be a set amount of time that a woman has to tell a man that he is the father, after that she can not go after him for money.

If the man does not want to pay then there should be an option that that he can sign over all rights and guarentee that he will not seek custody later on, and if he agrees then he does not have to pay child support.

I do not think that men have a right to decide if a woman keeps her baby or not, she is the one who has to carry the baby, she is the one who feel a life growing inside of her something a man will never fully understand.

Again both parties are equally responsible for the creation of a baby.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:55 PM

513 posts, read 896,642 times
In a perfect world babies would be welcomed under any circumstance. A baby is an innocent being that just wants to be nurtured and loved. When 2 people consent to having relations they take the chance of creating new life regardless of whether they protect themselves or not, nothing is a guarantee. But for some reason people think that they can just throw this little innocent being away like it was the weekly recycling. Selfishness takes over instead of meeting the challenge of our life choices. Everyone starts screaming I have rights, what about the rights of the baby. With that said.

When the law decides to pass out Rights they should distribute them equally and fairly to both parties. Both parties should have to consent to taking responsibility for the child and if neither do then give the child up for adoption to one of the many families waiting for a child to love. If either decide they want to keep the baby then they alone take full responsibility absolving the other of their obligation. Unfortunately the Child is the one that misses out on the unwilling parent but their better off without them.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:31 AM

609 posts, read 1,174,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
I do not think that men have a right to decide if a woman keeps her baby or not, she is the one who has to carry the baby, she is the one who feel a life growing inside of her something a man will never fully understand.
uh huh. yet agian one of those wonderful "women things" that men can never truly grasp. funny how you add so much feeling, and compassion to "feeling something grow inside you" when each year, hundreds of thousands of women have it rgthlessly terminate.

im suprised your compassion, and love only extends so far.

but yet again what does that have to do with the rights of a man? nothing

Old 10-26-2008, 07:44 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Sure he does. Don't provide the sperm in the first place, how hard is that to understand?
Well...isn't THIS post the voice of common sense. Thanks SuSuSushi!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates