Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 06:48 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Sooo, if we take all restrictions away and be careful to not shed light on things like alcohol and drugs, our kids will grow up knowing how to regulate themselves and not end up druggies and drunks?
No, it's up to parenting -and there should be light shed regardless of your personal stance- but finally and absolutely, it boils down to the free will of the child. However, deregulation will help take away some of the "forbidden fruit" aspect that appeals to dumb, underage teenagers.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:06 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Here in Germany it is allowed to drink alcohol with 18 (beer with 16) , but we don't have very large problems with that,
Again: Germany is not America. ie just because something "works" in one country doesn't mean it will work in another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Let them drink all they want.

Teenagers are already stupid, loud, and obnoxious.

How much worse could they get if they were drunk?
Please tell us that was sarcasm.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:41 AM

622 posts, read 1,723,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Again: Germany is not America. ie just because something "works" in one country doesn't mean it will work in another.
That can be true, but I fail to see how it applies in this circumstance.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:10 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
So, why don't you tell us why it won't work? Are German youth more responsible than American youth? Are German parents more responsible than American parents?

Old 03-02-2009, 09:48 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Yes...it should stay at 21.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:38 AM

542 posts, read 1,449,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLangben View Post
I believe we should lower the drinking age to 18. The drinking age of 21 is inconsistent with other laws pertaining to responsibilities that the age of 18 holds.

Such as

-Ability to sign a 6-8 year contract with the military
-Getting bank loans and credit cards
-Being able to live on your own
-Signing leases for apartments
-Paying bills and taxes all on your own
-Being held completely responsible for all of you actions
-Being able to purchase Tobacco products

But after all of these various responsibilities that a 18 year old is deemed old enough to handle, you have to be 21 to drink legally?

What do you think about this?
when i was 18 i probably would have agreed, but as i got older and saw the difference in maturity i feel differently. actually i think it should be raised to about 23.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:47 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,413,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
when i was 18 i probably would have agreed, but as i got older and saw the difference in maturity i feel differently. actually i think it should be raised to about 23.
Thats ridiculous. You think kids won't drink until they're 23? Its silly that people believe if you make a law against something, people are gonna abide by it. There is absolutely no reason to raise the age limit, it will not fix anything nor make anyone's lives better.

I think that you should have to graduate from highschool in order to buy liquor. Thats the problem with the 18 year old idea, seniors could be buying alcohol for an entire school. I know that stuff like that happens now, but to a much lesser degree. So 18 with a diploma or equivalent sounds good to me, and then 21 if you never graduated.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Thats ridiculous. You think kids won't drink until they're 23? Its silly that people believe if you make a law against something, people are gonna abide by it. There is absolutely no reason to raise the age limit, it will not fix anything nor make anyone's lives better.

I think that you should have to graduate from highschool in order to buy liquor. Thats the problem with the 18 year old idea, seniors could be buying alcohol for an entire school. I know that stuff like that happens now, but to a much lesser degree. So 18 with a diploma or equivalent sounds good to me, and then 21 if you never graduated.
Nope. The brain is still developing a lot from 18-20...introducing alcohol then is the worst time.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 03-03-2009 at 07:28 AM..

Old 03-03-2009, 07:29 AM

857 posts, read 1,422,474 times
18 is too young simply because most people are still in high school and would be able to distribute it down to the younger kids way to easily. I think at 18 you should be able to buy beer and maybe wait for 21 to buy liquor. To me liquor is the real danger when it comes to alcohol. I am not aware of anyone getting alcohol poisoning from too much beer, so I see no danger in 18 year old's being able to have beer.

The drinking problem in america stems from the fact that we try so hard to keep it away from everyone, if it was more open and allowed then a lot less people would drink themselves to the point of alcohol poisoning. In my college experience there were two types of freshmen, those who had drank in high school, and those who hadn't. and 9 times out of 10 the most drunk person at the party was one who had not drank in high school. People need to be allowed to learn how to drink in the safety of their own home with friends/parents who can look after them. not at their first college party where they dont understand what those mixed drinks r going to do to them in an hour. if the drinking age was 18 more parents would be allowed to drink with their kids before they went to college and help them understand what drinking responsibly means.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 AM

Maybe we should simply do more to enforce the 21 drinking age and keep kids under 21 from drinking. We'll never eliminate it...but we could reduce it a lot if we took more strict measures.

Let's increase the alcohol taxes the way we've done with cigarettes...that'll reduce problem drinking/excessive drinking in ALL age groups but probably more so among teenagers who don't have very much money.

Let's also implement alcohol and drug testing for ALL high school and college students.

Let's also require ankle bracelets to detect alcohol use for ANYONE who is convicted of underage drinking.

Let's implement laws to make parents responsible for underage drinking in their homes and offer rewards to anyone who reports underage drinking parties to the police.

Let's do A LOT more compliance checks in stores/restaurants/bars...not just checking the people who work there but also other customers to see if they will buy for someone underage.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 03-03-2009 at 08:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates