Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:41 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
There's so much bile and drek here I hardly know where to begin. We've been drifting more towards a modern day feudalism rather than laissez faire free market capitalism. What has been labeled as and passed off as conservatism from Reagan to Bush II has often been anything but. Naturally there has been a reaction and the cure as it often is will be worse than the disease. I don't have the time and no one would bother to read it anyway to explain this in greater detail. We have not been getting conservatism, but we sure as hell are going to get a big dose of Big Government PC liberalism. Lastly, I don't care what the Canadians or the Europeans think. They have plenty of their own problems.
Excellent post, what I was trying to say earlier in many less words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 02:47 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by Saintmarks
Quote:
Lastly, I don't care what the Canadians or the Europeans think. They have plenty of their own problems.
Unfortunately these problems are caused by how the Americans operate in the global economical and political arena.

I still don't see why the majority of the Europeans back America who unconditionally(?) backs Israel in the Palestine & Israeli conflict.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:43 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default Lest we forget..

Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
america does need a revolution, too bad people always die in them.
And, lest we forget, there was a French Revolution. Something about eating cake. Such a sanguine people...

Oh yeah... also some sort of uprising(s) in Canada.. Bloodless?

Revolutions happen only after good but ruthlessly oppressed people seeking redress through civil means have no success despite their many quiet entreaties. Often they witness their blood spilled by the oppressors (Christal nacht for example). Further blood is then, of necessity, spilled unless the oppressed don't have the spine or prior organization to rightfully fight back. Those unwilling to stand up for the principles of their country, its values, its freedoms, by possibly forfeiting their lives, perhaps should move on to another "sheeple-based" society. We have many of those in this world.

IMO: Yes, there will most definitely be a revolution in the US, and perhaps I sadly but realistically look forward to it as I see all around us the results of creeping sheeple-ism, much as it has blossomed for all to see in Canada, for example.

Recall if you will the response of the French to the rapidly encroaching Nazi threat in WWII. Most of the French generals looked down at their feet and said "C'est la guerre!"

Following quote from Urban dictionary> couldn't have said it better myself:

Literally: "It's the war!"

"This French phrase of resignation gained widespread use during World War II. It provided the universal excuse for everything that was broken, no longer functioned, was unavailable or could not be accomplished. It also explained away all unusual behavior. That it is in the language of a nation whose life and joie de vivre was being crushed by an occupational army gives it an aroused sensibility.

The phrase lingered into European reconstruction and then into modern times in all nations. It is spoken with a wry acknowledgement of its former literal meaning even though it may currently describe any other interfering force preventing accomplishment of a task, even laziness.

Jacques: "Renee gave herself to some soldiers for a bar of chocolate and a pair of silk stockings. What a ****!"
Pierre: "No, no, she's a good girl. C'est la guerre!"

Anyone who proposes such a philosophy simply to avoid bloodshed is an immature idealist who assumes that humans are not the greed-based, ego and hubris driven animals that we continually prove ourselves to be. And given that there are those nasty types everywhere in our world, and that they constantly seek to gain power over us, we WILL, occasionally, have to suppress them in means they understand.

Sad but true.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:06 AM

Default You said it!

Quote:
For me, the election of Barack Obama and a veto proof Democratic Congress is the breaking point. I don't want to live in that kind of country and there are lot more like me out there than you think.
Sadly, there will be a "happy time" when he gets in as the idealists will sit back, laugh at the rest of us "brainless rednecks" and assume all is now wonderful. Yes, the Bush admin was tragic and cannot be defended. It certainly didn't represent true Conservatism, despite what the blowhard Limbaugh spews and rants. Doesn't mean that we should abandon rational managed capitalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I think the balls of our nation are slowly dying out with the WW2 Vets.
Absolutely! How sad, eh?

Quote:
Lastly, I don't care what the Canadians or the Europeans think. They have plenty of their own problems.
Well said. They are SOOOO arrogant it's staggering. Perhaps they forget under whose protectorate they have lived, or they would prefer speaking Chinese, Russian or German?

Old 11-03-2008, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by rifleman
Quote:
Well said. They are SOOOO arrogant it's staggering. Perhaps they forget under whose protectorate they have lived, or they would prefer speaking Chinese, Russian or German?
LoL, since when does America equals God?
FYI, I live under God's protectorate.
Or are you 1 of those American Christians (read: American patriots) who believe that America can only be God's earthly paradise?

Old 11-03-2008, 07:50 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Saintmarks Unfortunately these problems are caused by how the Americans operate in the global economical and political arena.

I still don't see why the majority of the Europeans back America who unconditionally(?) backs Israel in the Palestine & Israeli conflict.

Uhhhh..... Go check who quoted who here please, not that I am going to vote for a person or party based on what someone else thinks of me or to gain popularity with someone else. That sort of thinking I hopefully left behind in middle school. But lets at least attribute the direct quote with the right poster please.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Saintmarks
Quote:
But lets at least attribute the direct quote with the right poster please.
Oops, my bad.
I'm sorry for having mixed up your name with SAI126.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:03 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,738 times
So much to comment on here, but much ignorance on my part to address it.

Indeed, I do agree that the pendulum as switched, but so have the agendas of the political parties. Wasn't it Democrats who in the 30's through about the 50's were conservative? Weren't they the one's who wanted to maintain the status quo and voted differently on racial issues? It seems that we've forgotten parties and what they stood for and stand for now as they say whatever it takes to get them and their political affiliates (lobbyists, other political friends, etc.) into power. When are we going to realize that to stay with one party solely for the name of that party's sake, is to come full circle on issues where you will be voting against what you voted on. Why do you think so many party members have problems within their own party? The new Republican is the old Democrat. To say otherwise, I think ignores the basic stands on the issues now compared to where they used to be.

The strongest statement I've read so far in here is from SAI126 when he/she said: "We've been drifting more towards a modern day feudalism." Also, as much as I rarely (if ever) agree with SuSuSushi, he/she was also true to mention how lazy we are as a society to take action on anything that may upset our comfortable lives. The loudest people, politically, right now, it seems, are those with the least to loose. Aside from this, the politically correct message has taken the masses out. The minorites, either by race or sex, have effectively stuffed a proverbial sock into the mouth of the majority of people who oppose them under the guise of racism or sexim. Don't get me wrong, it (racism, sexism, etc.) still exists, but you can disagree with a program without falling into a "category."

I remember reading in a post one time: "Everyone enters the workforce a Democrat and retires it a Republican." I think this, too, holds water.

The American people remind me of a simple story, once told by Dr. Seuss. The uppity Sneeches had stars on their stomachs, while the plain-belly Sneeches were looked down upon. Then, one inventive creature created a device to put stars on the stomachs of those Sneeches that didn't have one. Then, they were suddenly "as good" as those that did. The original star-bellied Sneeches didn't like it, so the creature who created the first machine to put stars on made one to take them off. Then, after running through the machine, the Sneeches who originally had stars no longer did, and called themselves elite. The book/cartoon goes on to where the Sneeches started the big cycle of getting stars on their bellies or getting them removed. It happened so much that they all lost track, epiphanizing that no one was better than the other. And throughout it all, only the creature that made the machines came out ahead. He was the one who made money every time someone tried to change their views.

We are the Sneeches... and politicians are the creature. They make out like bandits until we all determine what's better than the other. Oversimplified? Maybe. True? I think so.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:03 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
We wil always see shifts to the right and to the left evreytime there is a crisis.The last shift was to the right with Reagan. This has more and more become a politics of specail interest groups in both parties and some sound good until you see what they actually do and the problems they cause. We will always have crisis as long as we have humans. We will be back to the enrgy crisis with liitle done in the near future IMO. I was surprised to see that pols now shopw that IRaq is a top issue with &5 of peole now. Short attention span as always .

Old 11-04-2008, 11:09 AM

Default Sigh... will he never grow up folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by rifleman LoL, since when does America equals God?
FYI, I live under God's protectorate.
Or are you 1 of those American Christians (read: American patriots) who believe that America can only be God's earthly paradise?
God no (pun intended). Not I. You really do need to expand your blinkered mind, man! Mythical god-figures are just items of spiritual convenience. Nope, I was just, again, being logical and pointing out the obvious, but you only want to fight everything any of us says, logical, correct, possible/ probable, incorrect or otherwise. "You" and "concession" can't be in the same post no matter what; we've already established that.

The fact is that, in WWII, the American military as well as the other major allies, chased the Nazis off your property. Tens of thousands of Americans and others sacrificed their life essence so that your parents or grandparents or you could continue to live and prosper. and we didn't even gloat over it, just glad to help out! Go ahead, deny it.

Then, during the months immediately following VE day, we kept the Russians from "absorbing" you. Go ahead, deny it.

Then, in the years that followed, by our massive expenditure to help your country and others in Europe rebuild, you became a successful free country. Go ahead, deny it.

Additionally, by our's, the Canadian's, the Brit's and other Allied presence, we kept the blustering and hostile USSR from culturally, militarily and philosophically enveloping your country and others. Go ahead, deny it. It's what you automatically do. A knee-jerk "blah blah blah, Bad America" response.

But BTW, the ability and opportunites to develop your economy and culture unhindered and un-molested by a mobster country next door was, you're welcome, because you lived under our military and economic protectorate. No God stuff implied. No arrogance, just the facts. Not my problem that you don't understand simple terms, or have to fight every frickin' thing any of us say. That is, though, pretty typical of a hateful problem child fighting over his candy. We understand it in a child. In a supposed mature adult, it reeks of pure arrogance, bluster and poor character.

Sometimes, if the child just won't quit his irritating, juvenile and irrational behavior, the responsible parent has to bop the kid on the nose. Anyone?

Or at the least, go sit in the corner and think about your bad behavior. We'll let you know when you can come out!

(And it's onto the Ignore pile for you too. You'll find TKramar there to keep you company.)

Say... can we get someone to create a "Beware of the Rabid Dog" smiley?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates