Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:05 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
Since when do you need a reason to carry a gun?
I live in the United States where lawyers have created a privilege for thugs to operate with virtual impunity. By the way, I have thirty years of LE experience, born and raised in NYC, live in Vt one of the safest states, and based on my experience I will carry where and when I deem appropriate. Be safe out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 01:13 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Yes and no. The gun laws are great here, but don't let that fool you VT is a police state without a lot of police. Lot and lots of laws against all sorts of things in VT. Gun rights are in the state Constitution and have remained untouched because of that.
Who was it who said "VT: the state where all you can do without a permit is carry a gun." Nonetheless, VT is much more free than states like NY, NJ, IL, MA, CA, and the other usual suspects for big government/police states, but still not nearly the most free state in the U.S..

Old 01-07-2009, 01:18 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
The idea that some folks are intellectually above violence is silly. How does that work? Folks should read the book on the Zantop/Dartmouth murders.
It's funny, no actually it's sad, when I was working the beat so to speak I actually met folks who swore that no matter what, even if it meant the death of a family member, they would never use force against an assailant. I guess I can understand some folks being totally passive and willing to perhaps die or be maimed as as a victim based on a deep rooted belief, but as I have said before if some folks believe so strongly this way that is fine, just don't try to mandate this onto society as a whole. I wish violence in general was not so accepted in society, but a perfect world we do not live in. Just look at the current events in Gaza, it's almost like a friggin sporting event where people take sides and try and rationalize the killing of people. I take this pretty seriously because my rear will be soon in the region and the cavalier attitudes and responses of folks to the whole deal just leaves me awestruck. So much for hope and change. Actually, as much in my time in service that I have I never approved of it, but I think that the time has come that a wholesale draft should be enacted with no deferments. It's just too easy for society to rubber stamp the use of a volunteer force and the use of reservists for overseas duty. Also, maybe we can at least get some of our fat body youth in shape and maybe it will stick for life.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:40 PM

19 posts, read 44,390 times
LOL its Vermont.. Crime is so rare, one robbery here, or a vandalism here and everyone tosses their cookies.... When I lived up there I thought it was a joke when the newspapers made front page off of a bike stolen or small amount of pot found on so and so.. When I lived in Florida crimes were human trafficing, stabbings, shooting etc nightly... That wasn't even a city but its just what happens. Being the wife of a police officer I hear about crime all the time, up there there was nothing to talk about but domestics in winter from people being cooped up or drunks driving around.. big whoop.. Vermont NH and Maine crimes are a joke lol... The police are bored up there cause nothing goes on!

Old 01-14-2009, 06:22 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
Thats awesome, stand up for your constitutional rights and the 2nd amendment!

Old 01-14-2009, 06:46 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
Since when do you need a reason to carry a gun?
How about - just because! Because I can. Because I have the freedom to. Because our Constitution says I can.

How about these "reasons"?

Old 01-14-2009, 07:08 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
It's too damn cold for crime here.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:16 PM

130 posts, read 276,758 times
Much of the non gun owning population thinks anyone that carries a gun is a mentally unstable, paranoid, vigilantly wanna be.

They can't cloud their views with facts and love to site cling to common cliche urban myths about them.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:25 AM

159 posts, read 405,222 times
All this talk about gun toting citizens makes Vermont sound like the state where Deliverance was filmed. In my 50 plus years in Vermont I never knew anyone who carried a gun for protection or felt the need to. Hunting is another thing, half the male population has a gun rack in the back window of their pickup. With the amount of serious crime in Vermont people who carry a gun for protection are more likely to shoot themselves in the leg or foot and are a miniscule minority of the Vermont population. I'm wondering, in the middle of the summer when you're wearing shorts and a tee shirt where do you hide the gun you're packing and when was the last time anyone on here had to use the gun they were packing to protect themselves? By the way I've hunted all my life and own several guns, I'm not anti-gun just anti-idiot.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:12 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-springfielder View Post
All this talk about gun toting citizens makes Vermont sound like the state where Deliverance was filmed. In my 50 plus years in Vermont I never knew anyone who carried a gun for protection or felt the need to. Hunting is another thing, half the male population has a gun rack in the back window of their pickup. With the amount of serious crime in Vermont people who carry a gun for protection are more likely to shoot themselves in the leg or foot and are a miniscule minority of the Vermont population. I'm wondering, in the middle of the summer when you're wearing shorts and a tee shirt where do you hide the gun you're packing and when was the last time anyone on here had to use the gun they were packing to protect themselves? By the way I've hunted all my life and own several guns, I'm not anti-gun just anti-idiot.
It might surprise you how many do carry a gun in VT.

Simple, I don't hide it, wearing heavy clothes in the summer is neither fun nor does it really conceal anything, it makes you stand out more than if you wear the gun out in the open.

I've shot some rabid animals with my gun. Scared off a nosey bear once while I was camping. There have been times the sight of my gun has noticeably made some not so pleasant people avoid me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates