Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:43 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
My answer to the title post-NO.
But I do see several/3 generations living together again, for economic reasons. I've seen it already. Boy, talk about stress! It's one thing to grow up in that environment. It's another to economicly be forced to consolidate families under one roof after they've each lived seperately.
I can't say if on the whole that's good or bad, but for me, I'd hate to have to do that.
Good reason to foster good relationships with one's relatives now, in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 12:33 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Good reason to foster good relationships with one's relatives now, in advance.
You already see this happening. College kids are graduating and then moving back home. Grandma and Grampa are moving in with the kids. Its "temperory" they say, but who is going to kick your parents out on the street when the argument ends.

A friend of mine is currently unemployed, and is doing okay because he didn't fall for a quicky loan or forclosure and still lives with his parents and sister and nephew. He has no plans to move. If he'd followed the American dream he'd be moving back in about now with nothing to show for it.

And you have all those nice big mcmansions out there waiting for a couple of families to fill them up.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:56 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I don't think Americans as a nation are going to start living off the land unless there's no other option. It would require a rebirth of what used to be called the 'pioneer spirit,' something that currently doesn't exist.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:04 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I don't think Americans as a nation are going to start living off the land unless there's no other option. It would require a rebirth of what used to be called the 'pioneer spirit,' something that currently doesn't exist.
You are correct. The skills can be learned but the spirit is another matter. They may develop it out of sheer necessity.

Without that pioneering spirit, there's not much chance of survival and there aren't too many people who possess it anymore. Too many people have been living on Easy Street. It's fashionable these days to call anyone who has a pioneering spirit "nutty".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates