Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:31 AM

583 posts, read 1,252,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawmill Jim View Post
Yep that is what city folks miss is after a few days they are over run . Here there are places the houses are two or three miles apart no electric, or even mail delivery could cut trees across the road an block outsiders with ease or put them afoot . Cell phones don't work there either buddy of mine had 190 acres there .
And what will protect you from armed thugs at your doorstep when your house is miles away from another house? Are you going to scream for help? Do you think your fallen trees or cell phone coverage will keep the roaming gangs out? You think criminals and those with ill intent would really hit the invisible wall when they see their cell phone is no longer in range?

Isolated settlements and especially isolated families are the ones who suffer the most from the violence as they have far fewer resources to protect themselves and their goods not being able to get external help in timely manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
This thread is crazy. I feel sorry for those of you who feel that this country will be in such poor condition that all 300+ million of us will basically become Amish. If you like to grow your own food now and practice self sufficiency, that's cool, but to think that society will revert 100 years or so is foolish. Unless every nuclear country on Earth bombs us back to the stone age, we are never going to be at the level ever again.
Thank you for contributing some common sense to this thread.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I check if the Gods have moved Armageddon to North America and get back to ya.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Well, what if your federal taxes go to 60% of your income, assuming you have a job, and your insurance premium is another 8-10%, co-pays continue to go up, local taxes are 8-10%, and then cap and trade comes along and your electric bill skyrockets, as Obama said it will. I think it can come in handy to know how to grow a garden and do some canning, and maybe even know how to make candles and soap, chop wood for heat, cook over a fire, and hunt and fish.
You are freaking out.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawmill Jim View Post
Say the electricity goes off in the city's for just two weeks other than the dark what is going to happen??

Last winter ours was off longer than that no big deal if you are a little prepared.

Got to be some good true books on the Amish .They have no electricity, cars insurances of any kind .Most of their dealings with the outsiders is selling their goods or labor for cash for more land .Lot of Amish sawmills here every thing is hand operated they use diesel power units even have gas motors on their washing machines.
If you think it's great to live like an Amish, good for you. If you enjoy working from dawn till dusk and do hard back breaking manual labor, good for you. I guess you are superior to all those of us who prefer to work with our brain instead. I guess we will all die and you will survive and inherit this planet - is this what you want to hear?

Just remember, that you cannot predict just what type of disaster will hit, when it will hit and how it will affect you. You can NEVER protect yourself from everything and you are not immortal. If you choose a certain lifestyle because you enjoy it and you are good at it, that's great. Live off the land, and some people do this successfully. I support those who truly do this and say they love it. I am annoyed with those who claim that they are somehow superior and making the right choice ('the only choice') while the rest of the population refusing to acknowledge this way of life is doomed. This is simply arrogant.

It is also funny to see the people who have planted a few veggies in their backyard or raised a few chickens to claim how they can now survive off the land and be self-sufficient and who keep patting themselves of the back while sitting in their comfy home or office chairs typing away on forums between their desk jobs and visits to local supermarkets where they still get most of their food supply.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:09 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
I plan to stay in the City, and drive other Peoples Ferrari's they left behind. I'm no fool, no sirrie. I'll swim in their pools, and sleep in their beds.--run for the hills if ya want to. I plan to party here, when yer gone.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:36 PM

216 posts, read 343,556 times
KT13 Nope we raise lots of our food because we like it better I could give a big rats butt less what anyones does or thinks . Most time i work when i want too .

As for roving bunches in a SHTF case being a ways from a large city helps as it will be others problem way before anyone could get this far out .

Next i was just pointing out there are still lots of people that live off grid or a simple life style even now as their choice . Also was providing a little info first hand from people i have talked to in person for other readers that may of only heard about these things on TV .

At present where i live a 911 call only takes 45 minuets to an hour if they can find you (not kidding ) For this reason we have a large German Shepard lying in the living room an two big dogs out side . Also within reach is a 44 mag . Next is a few guns with those awful hi capacity out put devices yes i know how to use them .

Some don't like back breaking work my son don't he does nicely don't get his hands dirty has a degree speaks Spanish with the best of them an does real well .

I like playing with a Sawmill but may change to something else if the mood strikes me . I don't take life to seriously you aren't going to get out of it alive anyway

Old 11-05-2010, 12:14 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
I doubt if many will. Average family spends 12.7% of income on food, about 33 percent for housing. Of course there will always be some who grow their own food. In the first US suburbs, decades before Levittown, many did grow their own before grass became the major crop. Food was probably more expensive then. And even today, some like garden-fresh tomatoes. Needless to say, the Amish will continue living off the land.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I wish I could. I would love to do that. As it is, I am boxed into living in a box, going to work in a box, and working in a box, to come home to my box. If I could be free of this lifestyle, I would in a heartbeat. But, I don't own land, can't afford land, and have to stay in my box until I get buried in a box...just my life.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:27 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
There are only so many different kinds foods you can grow in various parts of the country during certain times of the year anyway. Trying to live off of that without a full farm (meat/eggs/milk/etc) wouldn't be feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates