Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:28 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times

Advertisements

I remember those days Bluesbabe. That is why I know I would miss my Charmin.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 09:25 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Ouch!!!! NO MORE COBS!!!!

Go with the mailorder catalogs... but watch out for the glossy pages! Newsprint is best... Altho you probably won't like your kids' comments on your "reading material".

Old 03-13-2009, 06:13 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
I find it interesting that people who have had veggie gardens for a while, say it's hard to do. Over time, one learnes the intricacies and nuances of gardening, and developes own art of doing it, but the first step, the simple miracle - put a seed into the soil, and a plant will grow, is not hard to do at all. Elementary school students do that.

I did that, too. I didn't like the idea of growing in boxes (indorrs or outdoors) so I dug a little plot. To my amusement, everything grew. You can screw up here and there, but seeds still grow, whether they've been planted by a novice or experienced hand.

I don't feel like scaring people away, because before going into all the higher level of crop planning- companion planting- planning for overwinter- greenhousing- etc etc - they can start with simple things, to wet their feet. And it's not hard.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:59 PM

15 posts, read 17,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
Things are getting pretty bad in some places right now. Do you think we as a country will end up having to hunt and fish for our food and growing gardens just for our veggies? They say history repeats it self!
i dont think americans are able to at this point, we are so dependent on things being given to us.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:30 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgconroy View Post
i dont think americans are able to at this point, we are so dependent on things being given to us.
Some are, and can't walk away but you never know who you are until tested. Testing is comine and some of our populace will stand and wait while others will see the light and *do*. And some have already figured out that they will/might have to do and are learning how.

When the hand that feeds isn't feeding anymore we'll see who we are all over again. A lot of people will be without knowledge but not without awareness, but if you are willing to learn and will trade time and effort to do so you can fix that. The totally clueless won't and will end up fending for themselves.

But I hold out a lot more hope for us when the *real* crunch comes about us. There will be a lot of neos, but willing neos who took off the blinders. The good part is that once you take them off they never fit again.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:33 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
The thing about civilization that I would really miss: Toilet paper
Convert to Bidetism. See:Portable Bidet
There are many battery operated bidets that pump water to the nether regions. A hot water blast is so refreshing.

Phess used to sell an adapter (PAW) for a "Misty Mate" that converted it into a hand pump operated bidet. Sadly, it's no longer available. (Or is not presently on the net)

Might be something worth annoying manufacturers to make available for campers / travelers.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:36 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
If you have terrible soil, check out Terra Preta.
It's a man-made soil, that was invented by pre-Columbian Indians of the Amazon watershed. The article is fascinating, as well as thought provoking.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:47 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
In case of the Rapture, can I have your car?

Old 11-24-2009, 08:17 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
In case of the Rapture, can I have your car?
Planning to stay behind, I see. You'll have lots of cars to choose from, just be careful you don't take one that belongs to someone else who was left behind.

In case of Rapture, you can have my cars, if in exchange you take care of my dogs (I worry about them being left behind.)

Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
We have to many people to live off the land. we just get by having a Krogers handy. --what we need, is less people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates