Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:14 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere that when Cuba was embargoed by the States, after the initial shock and chaos, the Cubans started growing their own, in smallest places, roofs, boxes, and everywhere. Collectively, they lost a 30 lbs each on average, and learned to survive.

Yes, I think mentality will change to at least partially offset the losses and the prices. Growing your own won't be looked down at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 03:30 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Hunting & Fishing. No. Too many people and not enough game. A good garden can supplement a diet but to grow enough for a family would be too intensive. I can see a lot of folks bartering for goods and services. Also look for a lot of businesses like shoemakers, blacksmiths, wood workers etc. to make a comeback.

GL2

Old 03-11-2009, 03:57 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Paranoid Much?

Short of a major natural disaster that absolutely devastates mankind throughout the world, we're not going to be living off the land any time soon.
Oh thats right, you folks in the city eat produce and meats that comes from some sort of Star Trek food replicator.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:20 PM

947 posts, read 2,398,565 times
I do not think things should get so bad that people would have to live off the land. I do think some people might have to learn to do with out or less of certain things! Today we all live on the bases of keeping up with the Jones that we sometimes go overboard! My self included.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:27 PM

Also if it ever did come to the fact that we did have to hunt or fish in order to eat I am proud to say that I can hunt and fish so I would be ok till all the animals were killed out!

Old 03-11-2009, 04:28 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
I do not think things should get so bad that people would have to live off the land. I do think some people might have to learn to do with out or less of certain things!
You beat me to this comment! Granted, that the current economic picture isn't especially pretty, but let's be real: it doesn't mean we revert to life the way it was a hundred years ago.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You beat me to this comment!
Sorry apparently great minds do think alike! LOL

Old 03-11-2009, 04:41 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
No but it might get so bad that some might have to live out of their cars and under bridges and alot more homeless people which equals more crime . My aunt tells me every week we are living in the end times . the beast is going to appear any day now . she is very religious and she tells me that the good lord is coming to get her any day now . but I think that we may see alot more homeless people because alot of people are losing jobs at an enormous rate .

Old 03-11-2009, 07:29 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
I think growing one's food ~ and learning to sew (a dying art) ~ will have a revival. BUT - - - -

Many people will NOT have the ability to do it. "Homes" nowadays, like condos and attached housing, have next to nothing outside their doors. Some of them don't have room for a single potted plant! The only thing those people can do instead is buy what they can and learn to can their own food.

But because so many people live in these types of dwellings, and most of them won't learn to can, they would be the ones to scout out those who DO have private vegetable gardens.

But I agree with Leftydan6 in that I really don't think the economy will crash to that extreme.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:15 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I read somewhere that when Cuba was embargoed by the States, after the initial shock and chaos, the Cubans started growing their own, in smallest places, roofs, boxes, and everywhere. Collectively, they lost a 30 lbs each on average, and learned to survive.

Yes, I think mentality will change to at least partially offset the losses and the prices. Growing your own won't be looked down at.
If you don't have much space, read up on container gardening. Because the roots are contained and the optimum conditions for growth, container grown plants will produce quite a bit in the space where you ordimental plants are now. Any nook will work and once you work out the schedule for feeding and watering, its prettty easy. Even a small yard will support a square foot garden. Rip out the flowers from the planters and use it for something you can eat. It may not provide all, but certainly a major suppliment and trading with those with more space for skills can provide more.

Cities will be bad off to begin with and likely their populations will dwindle significantly should the food shipments be rare and water become scarce. The population excess will correct itself because some will not be able to make it. It will not be an easy world.

At the apartment where I lived last summer, the office was discovering all the plants they put in would dissapear overnight and tomatoes be planted. People can find space. If you have a small lawn you have the space to grow your own.

Everyone does have something to offer, maybe something as "ordinary" as being able to sew by hand. Or refit clothes. Or make sweaters or bake bread or build things. Or fix small appliences. There is a lot that we today don't do because everything is disposable. But along with the sudden squeeking brakes of spending to saving, in little ways people are saving things too. Fixing their cars over replacing them. Waiting until things die over buying new ones because they have better stuff on them. Go a little beyond that and you have people saving things for parts and for resuses (which has never really ceased).

Those that remember life before all our toys will have more of a clue, and those who don't need to be surrounded by all of them as well. The kids today, especially the ones who have been patted on the back every day of their life for doing what they should, will have to adjust and some will not. But we as a species are pretty adaptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates