Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 02:06 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Some of us feel that 100% reliance on technology and 'the other guy' is not always a wise thing.
Make sure that you're "the other guy." I think that society may need a higher level of education so that we can all participate in improving our world.

Quote:
And where did the government get that food?
From factory farms

Quote:
My grandparents survived the depression precisely because the could grow their own turnips (and whatever else they needed for food). The government was never part of their lives at the time.
Thank goodness that the government stepped in a few years into the depression with social security and other social programs. There is only so long a family can survive on the food they can grow especially in a country as populated as ours. I am just watching a program on PBS about the "dust storms" of the great depression. One woman just said "What did we do to cause this." I think the answer is take away the natural vegetation that was holding the dirt in the ground.

Quote:
Your post is argued from the perspective of a 'city-dweller.' I am, at this point a 'city-dweller' as well (hopefully not for long). But, I did spend part of my childhood and teen years in a rural setting. It was long enough to see the advantages that the lifestyle offers. I'd have to say that unless you've spent some time in that situation, it is very hard to see those advantages.
I grew up in a village in a 3rd world country, I lived in cities and the suburbs and I now live in a rural area. I have also a very minor history buff-ette. I am pretty familiar with post-colonial history of my state, as well as Mexican pre-colonial history, Caribbean history and European and African history. It's interesting. Even if I wanted to farm all day, I would need to have 5-10 kids to help me and we would probably all still be malnourished. Someone mentioned the Amish in a previous post. Have you taken a good look at them? The Amish people I have visited seem to be strange looking w/ wonky teeth etc. Not all of them, of course, but they don't look like the Amish people in movies, and I would bet they're malnourished. It's easy to end up with loose teeth, crooked legs, mental retardation etc in our climate without a good variety of foods; and it's difficult to grow all of those foods yourself. Personally, I don't intend to try as long as I can still drive to wholefoods. This is an interesting documentary about the dust bowl: WGBH American Experience - Surviving the Dust Bowl

(no time to do spellcheck)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 02:36 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Soylent Green

Old 11-27-2009, 02:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
per the OP
i think there were huge aztec civilizations in mexico, the ruins are still there, where are the people?
They are still there. We call them Mexicans. There are 100-million of them and they speak Spanish. which they learned from their conquerors. Many of the Aztecs' descendants are of mixed European ancestry. About 7 million of them still speak Nahuatl, the language of the Aztecs, or one of the other indigenous languages,

Old 11-27-2009, 03:03 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
"going back to the land", cold turkey, will make for some starving Pilgrims for sure.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:26 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Make sure that you're "the other guy." I think that society may need a higher level of education so that we can all participate in improving our world.

From factory farms

Thank goodness that the government stepped in a few years into the depression with social security and other social programs. There is only so long a family can survive on the food they can grow especially in a country as populated as ours. I am just watching a program on PBS about the "dust storms" of the great depression. One woman just said "What did we do to cause this." I think the answer is take away the natural vegetation that was holding the dirt in the ground.

I grew up in a village in a 3rd world country, I lived in cities and the suburbs and I now live in a rural area. I have also a very minor history buff-ette. I am pretty familiar with post-colonial history of my state, as well as Mexican pre-colonial history, Caribbean history and European and African history. It's interesting. Even if I wanted to farm all day, I would need to have 5-10 kids to help me and we would probably all still be malnourished. Someone mentioned the Amish in a previous post. Have you taken a good look at them? The Amish people I have visited seem to be strange looking w/ wonky teeth etc. Not all of them, of course, but they don't look like the Amish people in movies, and I would bet they're malnourished. It's easy to end up with loose teeth, crooked legs, mental retardation etc in our climate without a good variety of foods; and it's difficult to grow all of those foods yourself. Personally, I don't intend to try as long as I can still drive to wholefoods. This is an interesting documentary about the dust bowl: WGBH American Experience - Surviving the Dust Bowl

(no time to do spellcheck)
It's only in very recent history that we have had access to all the 'food groups' for the most part. Before that, people ate plants that were in season or that which could be preserved or hunted. Most folks in the northern latitudes had no access to fruit and vegetables that we take for granted nowadays. In the extreme north, there was only meat and fish for the most part. Yet... these people survived and often flourished on their very lopsided diets for millions of years. I don't think we give our bodies enough credit. If you look at traditional Inuit diet and health (before we started flying in all our 'better food') you will find that they were very healthy, in general.

------------------------------------------------

As for the Amish thing. I'm not all that familiar with them. But I would guess that, loose teeth or not, they are far less affected by world economy theatrics than we are. In a real collapse, I'd actually prefer their crooked legs to my starving stomach.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:45 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But a mere 1,000 years ago, the biggest city in the world was about the size of Akron, Ohio, so transporting food into the city from the countryside was not the kind of problem it is in the US, where 90% of the people now live in a city bigger than Akron. So before you roll your eyes . . . .
In 1950 there were less than 2 billion people. In fact the experts were predicting that people would be starving in the streets if we hit 2 billion

Old 11-27-2009, 08:38 PM

216 posts, read 343,556 times
Kinkytoes Need to throw away the books and get out a little . The Amish here eat lots better than most quick fixing people . They also have food stores that carry some of the best of everything .

Lot of people watch tv and think it is real some may think because Donald Duck talks the rest of the other ducks do too.

And yes it isn;t that hard here to grow all the food we need a few make their living with truck patches plus their own food .

We let forty acres grow up just because we didn't have time to mess with it . Some places it would be hard to sprout johnson grass but i'd move .

Old 11-27-2009, 08:41 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
If "Pluto" is a dog, what is "Goofy"??

Old 11-27-2009, 08:45 PM

216 posts, read 343,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
One confused critter for sure

Old 11-28-2009, 07:12 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates