Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:21 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,690,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
We have to many people to live off the land. we just get by having a Krogers handy. --what we need, is less people.
The government(s) are working on solving that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
The government(s) are working on solving that problem.
Right, and doing a fine job, I might add.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 AM

30 posts, read 58,533 times
If it came down to it i could get by with living off the land. I do think alot people would have a very hard time doing that.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McKay View Post
If it came down to it i could get by with living off the land. I do think alot people would have a very hard time doing that.
In and near H-Town, nothin grows wild that is good to eat. a few pecans, pears and plums. but only at certain times of the year. and 5 million People would have a hard time growing anything of value around here. they would starve before a crop ever came in.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:09 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,187 times
Live off the land? What land?

A lot of people can't even cook beyond heating something up in the microwave. How many could tell the difference between a regular weed and poison ivy?

Before people go back to sustaining themselves, they have to learn how.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:55 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,351,628 times
Honestly , the only thing I could do at first is intensify my fishing trips. In addition , try to learnas much as possible about hunting and growing a garden. I've had friends who grew crops inside with hydroponically controlled systems. That would be a farce , initially , but with passage of time , construction of miniature solar and hydroelectric facilities may prove worthwhile.

Living alone has its benefits and drawbacks. This is a situation where that would be best.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:26 AM

25,705 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Before people go back to sustaining themselves, they have to learn how.
You've got that right. I honestly don't know anyone who could sustain themselves for any significant length of time. The scary thing is when I discuss the issue, they are either unaware of such skills or mysteriously hostile to having such skills.

I think those skills for the most part died with our grandparents.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:45 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,690,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You've got that right. I honestly don't know anyone who could sustain themselves for any significant length of time. The scary thing is when I discuss the issue, they are either unaware of such skills or mysteriously hostile to having such skills.

I think those skills for the most part died with our grandparents.
A lot of this knowledge is available at the public library, if one has the inclination and energy to dig into it. It's a sustainable way of life, but takes a lot more effort than microwave cooking, etc.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
If we ever do, we will be easy pickings for any invading culture that has a higher technology and/or better social organizational skills than ours. So, such an America would be short-lived as such, and quickly become subservient to a greater power. Unless the whole world goes down the crapper simultaneously.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:47 AM

I think people are under the impression, that gardens produce food year round. Not here they don't. A crop comes in, you eat more than you want, and then that's it, till something else ripens. Get use to eating lots of beans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates