Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:28 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Why is this thread still on here? Incest is WRONG...GET OVER IT.
Not in Arkansas, they have rules about marrying outside the family.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:08 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you think the rest of us all suffer from the psychotic disorder of believing that everything we don't or wouldn't do ought to be criminalized?
Both questions can be answered with a simple yes or no...

Old 03-29-2009, 12:06 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Both questions can be answered with a simple yes or no...
Not all of us...but apparently a lot of us. The US has the largest number of people in prison of any country in the world. We have the highest ratio of people in prison or on supervised parole of any nation in the world. Either we are the most evil people on the planet, or we are doing something terribly wrong with our criminal justice system.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:29 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Not all of us...but apparently a lot of us. The US has the largest number of people in prison of any country in the world. We have the highest ratio of people in prison or on supervised parole of any nation in the world. Either we are the most evil people on the planet, or we are doing something terribly wrong with our criminal justice system.
And I think the single best way to take care of that would be to do more to prevent kids from dropping out of school and keep them away from drugs. Very few of this huge number of people in the system suddenly join as adults.

The answer is not in eliminating all so-called "victimless" crimes. There are many public order crimes, however, that I would not be opposed to being punished by fines only.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
And I think the single best way to take care of that would be to do more to prevent kids from dropping out of school and keep them away from drugs. Very few of this huge number of people in the system suddenly join as adults.

The answer is not in eliminating all so-called "victimless" crimes. There are many public order crimes, however, that I would not be opposed to being punished by fines only.
75% of all drug convictions are for possession of marijuana. We have just too many victimless crimes being prosecuted.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
75% of all drug convictions are for possession of marijuana. We have just too many victimless crimes being prosecuted.
The government has a legitimate interest in detering the use of marijuana. Fine them, don't jail them. But also don't legalize.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I don't know where you live but watching the local news here I'd have to say we are the most evil people on the planet. Shooting every night, hit and runs it seems everyday, armed robberies everyday...Almost four or five murders a week...I'd say we are pretty evil...

Old 03-29-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I don't know where you live but watching the local news here I'd have to say we are the most evil people on the planet. Shooting every night, hit and runs it seems everyday, armed robberies everyday...Almost four or five murders a week...I'd say we are pretty evil...
Yes it never seems to end

Old 03-29-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The government has a legitimate interest in detering the use of marijuana. Fine them, don't jail them. But also don't legalize.
I think marijuana should be a fine too..Unless you are caught selling...or transporting/smuggling..

Old 03-29-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I think marijuana should be a fine too..Unless you are caught selling...or transporting/smuggling..
How about a tax--like alcohol and tobacco. Use the tax money to enforce regulation (like alcohol and tobacco). ... and

To posters who think we are the most evil (or even "pretty evil") we are not. I've travelled all over the world, and we are not "saints" but we are not "devils" either. If you compare us to almost any country, there are things we do MUCH better--and things we could improve on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates