Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:16 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times

Advertisements

He can just as easily be America's next white president, as he is half white and half black. He will actually be America's first bi-racial President, or first colored president, but he is not America's first black president!!!

Vote Obama: America's First Colored/Bi-Racial President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 10:26 AM

296 posts, read 734,598 times
This is History in the making!Im excited i get to see this sight and i will be able to tell my kids if i ever have any...If he does become president i hope he is not all talk and no action like most of our previous presidents were. It is true that he is bi-racial its surprising to see how many people see him as just a black man and completely ignore his other half....

Old 07-16-2008, 10:27 AM

296 posts, read 734,598 times
Color doesn't matter to me its whether he can get the job done or not that counts!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:28 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Actually there has been some discussion by historians that we've possibly had a few presidents already that had mixed heritage. Some with Black and Native American heritage. I can't recall the names, but if you google the topic a few will come up. If your to follow the hackneyed logic of the one-drop rule we've probably had several "Black" presidents already.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:31 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
I agree that in reality we have probably had partly colored presidents, at least mixed in some capacity. Clearly nobody is pure anything. However, the reality is they were "white", lived white, and were accepted as such..which is very different with Obama.

Vote Obama: America's first Bi-racial/Colored President! NOT Black President!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times
I thought Clinton was the first black president?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:34 AM

171 posts, read 692,332 times
Default hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
He can just as easily be America's next white president, as he is half white and half black. He will actually be America's first bi-racial President, or first colored president, but he is not America's first black president!!!

Vote Obama: America's First Colored/Bi-Racial President.
Yes I agree I do not understand why they say the next black president because he is only half black. I am glad that someone else saw that. Not that I care. I think people say that because he has black in him. The word colored is not a good word but the next biracial sounds good.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:38 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
People that are half Black or partially Black are usually considered just Black in this society. I think it's antiquated and too commonly accepted. But maybe eventually this will change. People should be able to acknowledge their complete background and not feel like they are insulting anybody by doing so. On the same hand if you are part Black and have always "felt Black," and feel comfortable identifying yourself as such, hey do you. I have no problem with that as well.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:48 AM

171 posts, read 692,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
People that are half Black or partially Black are usually considered just Black in this society. I think it's antiquated and too commonly accepted. But maybe eventually this will change. People should be able to acknowledge their complete background and not feel like they are insulting anybody by doing so. On the same hand if you are part Black and have always "felt Black," and feel comfortable identifying yourself as such, hey do you. I have no problem with that as well.
I know that. My children are half black and people say they are black. I always say my children are biracial because that is what they are. Well their dad is mostly Irish but the point is I agree with your post.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:03 AM

177 posts, read 614,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It goes back to the "One Drop Rule".

One-drop rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates