Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 05:25 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I have seen episodes of COPS and have seen when people were yelliing at cops and nothing was done. I remember one guy who was drunk and was asked to leave the restaurant. He started yelling at the cop and made idle threats. The cop calmly told this person to leave. This was a 20something year old drunk person. Gates was sober and he was in his own residence. Who presented the bigger danger, the elderly homeowner or the drunk youth?
Yeah, but on COPS they have cameras rolling. Even then that show kind of diminished my view of the police. They were pretty often mean to the victims and witnesses. Maybe not arresting them, but threatening them and treating them like dirt.

A good percentage of people drawn to the police I think expect "action" and are a tad macho. (I'm mostly including the women too) Actually being police is often pretty dull I gather so it seems possible some make their own action and entertainment by being idiots. Cop shows, mostly, I think encourage that. If the cop beats up on the "perp" or "breaks the rules" it's usually celebrated while IA are "the rats" and portrayed as bad guys.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:29 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Default Obama says the police "acted stupidly."

So now President Obama - who admits that he doesn't know the facts and details - goes on international TV saying, "the Cambridge Police acted stupidly."

Maybe Obama needs to be the Commander in Chief, rather than the Whiner in Chief - and leave the inevitable race-baiting to the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

It also looks like Gates needs to get his enormous ego in check. What a jerk!

This blog contains a link to the PDF of the police report.
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/p-j-gla...report-website

I'm also finding this picture to be interesting. You have Gates, on his porch, still screaming and yelling - and right in front of him is A BLACK COP. What the heck? Is the BLACK COP A RACIST TOO?

Old 07-23-2009, 08:25 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak9 View Post
anybody remember cynthia mckinney? she was the black congresswoman who hit a security officer in the face because he asked her for her I.D.? the green party made her their choice for president in the last election. i used to want to join the green party until then. that was the dumbest possible choice for president you could name. who was her running mate courtney love?

where is the cops statement in the gates case? is he/she under silence by the department to keep this thing from blowing up? i am liberal and i have liberal friends who claim the police are racially profiling. now, i was considering law or police work in the back of my mind as an alternative for a career and when i think about it and look around and see 80% of the terrible heinous crimes being commited by blacks i no longer think of it as racial profiling i consider it being statistically accurate and if you look in that direction and 8 out of 10 times you arent wrong its a safer bet to pull over a black person than a white person. i know that sounds crazy but if you see someone swerve on the road and it turns out to be a black person you can pull them over and its more likely they have a gun or weed or their car is falling apart or a record. its easier for a cop

Gates gripe should be with other black people for being statistically more involved in crime which makes the bulls eye on his head twice as big. in case you havent read my earlier posts i work with several black females that either themselves or have a close family member involved in a homicide of one kind or another. i.e. 18 year old girl with 2 abortions and is again pregnant (her boyfriend doesnt like condoms,seriously thats the reason), one girls mom is in prison for murder, one girl hit her baby daddy with a car (he lived) , one girls sister was the get away driver in a bank robbery and the other black girl i work with is old. so out of 5 black girls only 1 is clean. creepy

wtf was tha comment earlier "thats why blacks dont want to come up because white people will just arrest them" all about? that wasnt the exact quote but it was just as dumb. this isnt even a big deal compared to the paris texas racial breakdown. or china's.
Why should Gates blame the criminals for the way he was treated? Yes, there are many black people out there who committ crimes. With that said, why should Gates suffer because people who look like him committ crimes? Why? The only reason Gates should be made at blacks who commit crimes(or anyone who commits a crime) is because of the victims who suffer from it. That is the only reason why. Your statement leaves out one important factor:The Victim(or survivor of the crime). The victim is the one who suffers because the victim has to live with it. Yes, blacks statistically have higher crime rates in relation to the percentage of the population they make up. On that note, most black people who commit crimes do so against other black people. Something else to think about. On the news you might hear reports about blacks committing crimes, but that is most of what you hear. The current media has an agenda and if you don't take everything with a grain of salt, you fall prey to the agenda. The news doesn't always tell you everything, only what sells. What about the white-collar crimes like computer hacking, credit card fraud, identity theft, the persons who sent the defective Chevy Malibus to people and the gas tank exploded, maiming many people, embezzlement. You see many white people committing those crimes, but I don't see white people being held to a higher scrutiny as blacks for it. Gates should only blame the persons who committed those crimes for high victimhood of African-Americans. He shouldn't blame them for his problem. His problem rests with the persons who believe everything they hear on TV, it rests with the persons who really are prejudice and who feel like African-Americans are no good. That is who Gates should blame. The blame rests with the persons who think in such ignorant ways.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Yeah, but on COPS they have cameras rolling. Even then that show kind of diminished my view of the police. They were pretty often mean to the victims and witnesses. Maybe not arresting them, but threatening them and treating them like dirt.

A good percentage of people drawn to the police I think expect "action" and are a tad macho. (I'm mostly including the women too) Actually being police is often pretty dull I gather so it seems possible some make their own action and entertainment by being idiots. Cop shows, mostly, I think encourage that. If the cop beats up on the "perp" or "breaks the rules" it's usually celebrated while IA are "the rats" and portrayed as bad guys.
Still, my point was that Gates wasn't really treated fairly by the police. He yelled at the cop? So what? I know people who were drunk and yelling at the police, in public, who were never arrested. Doesn't sound like fair treatment to me.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:57 AM

844 posts, read 1,280,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak9 View Post
here is a police report for the last few days i just found in my local online news.
blacks live on the north side and mexicans are on the south side. whites are on the east side and west side. yes its that segregated in milwaukee. but look at the differences between black violence and mexican violence. i just glanced at it and didnt see the east side or the west side on their which is peculiar. the blakc part of town (north) has 5 times the crime as the mexican part of town. look at hthe arsons. molotovs and vehicles set on fire! in the last 50 years black people have now become safer in the presence of white people than in the presence of black people.

Milwaukee City Police Reports - JSOnline
Yes, nevermind the fact that the non-white sides of town are EXTREMELY poorer than the white sides of Milwaukee.

When people try to make the 'hey look blacks and mexicans are naturally more crime prone' argument, without taking into consideration that poverty has more of a correlation with crime than race, it just looks silly.

No one (with half a brain) buys into that 'blacks and hispanics are genetic criminals. It all has to do with poverty. Poor people, Brown black or white, often commit more crime. Fact.

Omaha Rocks -

Lets be honest. There is not an adult in this thread who would not be insulted at least to the point of raising ones voice and yelling if some yahoo in their neighborhood called the cops on them, and the cops questioned them if they lived in their own home.

Lets be honest, its not like cops do not have a bad history with judging people negatively by the color of their skin (or accent, if you go far back enough). If it becomes the standard that if you are not white and drive a nice car and live in a nice house, you must automatically live under additional scrutiny, well who would not be angered at that?

Old 07-23-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Yes, nevermind the fact that the non-white sides of town are EXTREMELY poorer than the white sides of Milwaukee.

When people try to make the 'hey look blacks and mexicans are naturally more crime prone' argument, without taking into consideration that poverty has more of a correlation with crime than race, it just looks silly.

No one (with half a brain) buys into that 'blacks and hispanics are genetic criminals. It all has to do with poverty. Poor people, Brown black or white, often commit more crime. Fact.

Omaha Rocks -

Lets be honest. There is not an adult in this thread who would not be insulted at least to the point of raising ones voice and yelling if some yahoo in their neighborhood called the cops on them, and the cops questioned them if they lived in their own home.

Lets be honest, its not like cops do not have a bad history with judging people negatively by the color of their skin (or accent, if you go far back enough). If it becomes the standard that if you are not white and drive a nice car and live in a nice house, you must automatically live under additional scrutiny, well who would not be angered at that?
You're preaching to the choir(or at least this person)

Many people don't make any consideration for the poverty factor. Many people don't want to. It is too easy for many people to just accept things as they are.
Not only is the "hey look blacks and mexicans are naturally more crime prone" argument garbage, it is just a form of covert social control that I can see through. Some people just don't have the guts to admit that they hate minorities and would rather not live near them.

Your statement about adults feeling insulted if someone in their neighborhood called the cops for them for some stupid reason, it reigns true, especially for me. Someone in my neighborhood called the cops on me for just walking around at night. To say the least I was angry, and hurt. I started thinking later on "Why is it that the elderly man can walk his dog undisturbed, why is it that some female can walk around unharrassed, but I am not afforded that same thing?" I knew why, but it hurt just the same. The only reason I don't yell at any police officer is because I am afraid of them. This wasn't the first time. I frequently would ride my bicycle on campus at night just for fun. The cops were called on me twice.

I know genetics isn't the reason for crime. Alot of people would try to argue that because it would suit their agenda to treat certain people as less than human. Hitler tried that "genetics" crap and looked what happened.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Omaha Rocks -

Have you read ANY of the articles? Have you read the police report?

The police were simply responding to a reported break-in. Maybe the neighbor lady is stupid. Maybe she's a racist. But she called the cops because she saw somebody muscling the door and - apparently it looked like to her - breaking into the house.

So what did the police do wrong? They responded to a call. Period.

It is no fault of Gates' that he had to muscle his way into his own house. The door was apparently damaged from an earlier break-in. But it is Gates' fault that he immediately accused the cop of racism, started yelling at him, and kept yelling at him when the cop walked out of the house.

There is a point at which, regardless of what you have or haven't done, you're going to get arrested IF you're following a cop around and screaming at him.

Gates obviously has a REAL problem with his ego, with his temper, with his mouth, and with his race-baiting behavior. Did you look at the picture I posted? The one of Gates on his porch, still running off at the mouth, yelling his fool head off? And did you notice that it's a BLACK cop who is standing right in front of him? Is that black cop a racist too?

By the way, the cop who arrested him has an exemplary record, and the Police Union (unions are notoriously liberal and Democrat) is standing behind him 100%. Again, all honest fingers are pointing at Gates as THE source of this whole problem.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:48 PM

More on the police officer that arrested Gates.

Cop who arrested black scholar is profiling expert

It's looking more and more like Gates is an incredibly arrogant arse, who thought it was within his rights to scream and yell at the cops - and to pull out the race card.

Keep it up Gates! You're making a fool of yourself!

Old 07-23-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
More on the police officer that arrested Gates.

Cop who arrested black scholar is profiling expert

It's looking more and more like Gates is an incredibly arrogant arse, who thought it was within his rights to scream and yell at the cops - and to pull out the race card.

Keep it up Gates! You're making a fool of yourself!
But was it worth it to arrest him?

Old 07-23-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
But was it worth it to arrest him?
In the judgment of the arresting officer - and apparently, too, the black officer who was there as well - the answer was YES.

Gates could have avoided this whole mess if, rather than letting his ego and mouth go unchecked, he simply would have provided the ID and shut his mouth.

The police officer was doing his job. Nothing more and nothing less.

Also, there is a point at which - whether you've done something wrong or not - anybody will eventually provoke an officer to the point of being arrested. If I get pulled over for some minor traffic violation, I may get off with a written or verbal warning. But if I jump out of my car screaming and yelling, accusing the cop of all kinds of stuff, calling him names, etc. - you KNOW I'm going to get more than just a warning.

The police officer was simply doing his job. Would you want police to NOT respond to a call of a burglary in progress?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates