Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 03:36 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times

Advertisements

This just in... Charges are dropped.

Charges dropped against black Harvard scholar

Apparently the neighbor lady saw Gates forcing the door open, and assumed he was a burglar. Then Gates refused to show the cop his identification, proving that he lived at the house. Instead, he started yelling at him and accusing him of racial profiling.

I'd bet that the exact same thing would have happened to me, under the exact same circumstances.

Maybe the good professor should have just shut his mouth and showed the cop his ID.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:57 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
This just in... Charges are dropped.

Charges dropped against black Harvard scholar

Apparently the neighbor lady saw Gates forcing the door open, and assumed he was a burglar. Then Gates refused to show the cop his identification, proving that he lived at the house. Instead, he started yelling at him and accusing him of racial profiling.

I'd bet that the exact same thing would have happened to me, under the exact same circumstances.

Maybe the good professor should have just shut his mouth and showed the cop his ID.

I would have been too scared to yell at the officer, but I don't blame Gates for snapping at the cop. I wouldn't blame Gates for moving out of that neighborhood. Would you want to live in a place where you were mistrusted? I sure wouldn't.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I would have been too scared to yell at the officer, but I don't blame Gates for snapping at the cop. I wouldn't blame Gates for moving out of that neighborhood. Would you want to live in a place where you were mistrusted? I sure wouldn't.
Well... Here's another way to look at it. The neighbors are watching out for each others' houses.

The neighbor that called the cops probably knew that he was out of town (out of the country, if I recall correctly) - or at least knew that Gates hadn't been around for quite awhile. She then sees a guy basically "busting down the door" to get into the house. I dunno. Seems kind of stupid of her that if she was watching his house that closely that she wouldn't know it was Gates who was at the door.

On the other hand, when the cops come to you house - thinking that you're a burglar - and demand to see some ID, it only makes sense to show it to them. Don't start yelling at them, calling them names, and accusing them of racism. And don't follow them out the door, continuing to yell at them after you get outside.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Well... Here's another way to look at it. The neighbors are watching out for each others' houses.

The neighbor that called the cops probably knew that he was out of town (out of the country, if I recall correctly) - or at least knew that Gates hadn't been around for quite awhile. She then sees a guy basically "busting down the door" to get into the house. I dunno. Seems kind of stupid of her that if she was watching his house that closely that she wouldn't know it was Gates who was at the door.

On the other hand, when the cops come to you house - thinking that you're a burglar - and demand to see some ID, it only makes sense to show it to them. Don't start yelling at them, calling them names, and accusing them of racism. And don't follow them out the door, continuing to yell at them after you get outside.
I have seen episodes of COPS and have seen when people were yelliing at cops and nothing was done. I remember one guy who was drunk and was asked to leave the restaurant. He started yelling at the cop and made idle threats. The cop calmly told this person to leave. This was a 20something year old drunk person. Gates was sober and he was in his own residence. Who presented the bigger danger, the elderly homeowner or the drunk youth?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I have seen episodes of COPS and have seen when people were yelliing at cops and nothing was done. I remember one guy who was drunk and was asked to leave the restaurant. He started yelling at the cop and made idle threats. The cop calmly told this person to leave. This was a 20something year old drunk person. Gates was sober and he was in his own residence. Who presented the bigger danger, the elderly homeowner or the drunk youth?
Good point.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:10 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:

True, but being a woman, she might not have felt brave enough to confront the man... that she was only seeing the back of.

Some of the articles mention that Gates' house had been broken into recently, and that's why he was struggling with the door. I wonder exactly when the house was broken into? Before his trip abroad? During his trip? Did his neighbors know about the break-in? So perhaps the house having been broken into caused the neighbor to be even more watchful of the houses in her neighborhood. And most break-ins happen midday when people are at work. And most break-ins are quick in and out deals. I suspect that any male, teen or adult, seen struggling to get into a house midday would be viewed with suspicion by neighbors and police alike.

And so much better to stop a burglary before the thieves leave, as burglars are difficult to catch and the stolen goods almost never recovered. In my 20's, my apartment got broken into and my home stereo stolen. The thieves were never caught and my stereo was never recovered.

As I posted in another thread, I've been profiled by law enforcement because of the car I drive. It's a Civic hatchback, but stock. It's an old favorite of the Fast and the Furious crowd and still a target for thieves. Occasionally I can tell that I am being scrutinized by a patrol car, and probably my plates being run through their database. But I don't mind as perhaps if my car gets stolen one day, there's a very slim chance that my car might be recovered before being parted out.

And once in CT, very late one night on I-84 outside of Hartford, some punk kid tried to race me on the highway. He'd pull up next to my car, then take off fast, then slow down again to be next to me. Finally, he gave up his stupid antics and shortly thereafter, I was pleased to see him pulled over by the state police. My joy was short-lived as about five miles later, I got pulled over also. I was outraged when the officer asked me if I had been racing another car a few miles back. But the officer didn't wait for my answer or explanation and just took my license and registration back to his car to write up my violation. I stewed quietly in the car as he wrote up my ticket for street racing. And the next day, I wrote a long letter to the CT DMV explaining what really happened and made mention of the car that was trying to race me and that I wanted to appeal the ticket. I pointed out my age and said that they were welcome to inspect my unmodded car with 300K miles on it. I also said that I wanted to contact the driver of that other car so that I could get a statement from him saying that I never took up his challenge. A few weeks later, I got a letter from the CT DMV saying that they cancelled the ticket.... and that's the way to deal with an unfair situation. Had I thrown a tantrum in front of the officer that had pulled me over, I'd have been arrested and taken into custody. As it was, while the officer had me pulled over, a second state police car pulled up in back of him.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
True, but being a woman, she might not have felt brave enough to confront the man... that she was only seeing the back of.

Some of the articles mention that Gates' house had been broken into recently, and that's why he was struggling with the door. I wonder exactly when the house was broken into? Before his trip abroad? During his trip? Did his neighbors know about the break-in? So perhaps the house having been broken into caused the neighbor to be even more watchful of the houses in her neighborhood. And most break-ins happen midday when people are at work. And most break-ins are quick in and out deals. I suspect that any male, teen or adult, seen struggling to get into a house midday would be viewed with suspicion by neighbors and police alike.

And so much better to stop a burglary before the thieves leave, as burglars are difficult to catch and the stolen goods almost never recovered. In my 20's, my apartment got broken into and my home stereo stolen. The thieves were never caught and my stereo was never recovered.

As I posted in another thread, I've been profiled by law enforcement because of the car I drive. It's a Civic hatchback, but stock. It's an old favorite of the Fast and the Furious crowd and still a target for thieves. Occasionally I can tell that I am being scrutinized by a patrol car, and probably my plates being run through their database. But I don't mind as perhaps if my car gets stolen one day, there's a very slim chance that my car might be recovered before being parted out.

And once in CT, very late one night on I-84 outside of Hartford, some punk kid tried to race me on the highway. He'd pull up next to my car, then take off fast, then slow down again to be next to me. Finally, he gave up his stupid antics and shortly thereafter, I was pleased to see him pulled over by the state police. My joy was short-lived as about five miles later, I got pulled over also. I was outraged when the officer asked me if I had been racing another car a few miles back. But the officer didn't wait for my answer or explanation and just took my license and registration back to his car to write up my violation. I stewed quietly in the car as he wrote up my ticket for street racing. And the next day, I wrote a long letter to the CT DMV explaining what really happened and made mention of the car that was trying to race me and that I wanted to appeal the ticket. I pointed out my age and said that they were welcome to inspect my unmodded car with 300K miles on it. I also said that I wanted to contact the driver of that other car so that I could get a statement from him saying that I never took up his challenge. A few weeks later, I got a letter from the CT DMV saying that they cancelled the ticket.... and that's the way to deal with an unfair situation. Had I thrown a tantrum in front of the officer that had pulled me over, I'd have been arrested and taken into custody. As it was, while the officer had me pulled over, a second state police car pulled up in back of him.
Still, I would not want to be profiled. I wouldn't feel secure being profiled. That makes my life harder because I can get randomly picked out because I look "different". While the profiling in being done, you might have the drunk driver who isn't checked or someone else who is actually committing a crime.

As for the tantrum situation, I think you should read my last post concerning a situation involving a drunk youth.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:21 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Some of the articles mention that Gates' house had been broken into recently, and that's why he was struggling with the door. I wonder exactly when the house was broken into? Before his trip abroad? During his trip? Did his neighbors know about the break-in?
When you say that she was only seeing the back of the two men, do you know this to be a fact? Or, is this your speculation?

Also, you state that some articles mention Gates' house being broken into recently. Yet, the articles did not state exactly when the house was broken into? Were these articles stating this as a fact, or was it conjecture?

Old 07-22-2009, 11:10 PM

31 posts, read 38,192 times
here is a police report for the last few days i just found in my local online news.
blacks live on the north side and mexicans are on the south side. whites are on the east side and west side. yes its that segregated in milwaukee. but look at the differences between black violence and mexican violence. i just glanced at it and didnt see the east side or the west side on their which is peculiar. the blakc part of town (north) has 5 times the crime as the mexican part of town. look at hthe arsons. molotovs and vehicles set on fire! in the last 50 years black people have now become safer in the presence of white people than in the presence of black people.

Milwaukee City Police Reports - JSOnline

Old 07-22-2009, 11:41 PM

31 posts, read 38,192 times
anybody remember cynthia mckinney? she was the black congresswoman who hit a security officer in the face because he asked her for her I.D.? the green party made her their choice for president in the last election. i used to want to join the green party until then. that was the dumbest possible choice for president you could name. who was her running mate courtney love?

where is the cops statement in the gates case? is he/she under silence by the department to keep this thing from blowing up? i am liberal and i have liberal friends who claim the police are racially profiling. now, i was considering law or police work in the back of my mind as an alternative for a career and when i think about it and look around and see 80% of the terrible heinous crimes being commited by blacks i no longer think of it as racial profiling i consider it being statistically accurate and if you look in that direction and 8 out of 10 times you arent wrong its a safer bet to pull over a black person than a white person. i know that sounds crazy but if you see someone swerve on the road and it turns out to be a black person you can pull them over and its more likely they have a gun or weed or their car is falling apart or a record. its easier for a cop

Gates gripe should be with other black people for being statistically more involved in crime which makes the bulls eye on his head twice as big. in case you havent read my earlier posts i work with several black females that either themselves or have a close family member involved in a homicide of one kind or another. i.e. 18 year old girl with 2 abortions and is again pregnant (her boyfriend doesnt like condoms,seriously thats the reason), one girls mom is in prison for murder, one girl hit her baby daddy with a car (he lived) , one girls sister was the get away driver in a bank robbery and the other black girl i work with is old. so out of 5 black girls only 1 is clean. creepy

wtf was tha comment earlier "thats why blacks dont want to come up because white people will just arrest them" all about? that wasnt the exact quote but it was just as dumb. this isnt even a big deal compared to the paris texas racial breakdown. or china's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates