Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you live in a neighborhood with no one else of your race/ethnic group?
Yes, the ethnic group of my neighbors is not important as long as they are good people 42 60.00%
No, I would feel uncomfortable. I would like to live in a neighborhood dominated by my ethnic group 17 24.29%
I want to live in a true United Nations type community 11 15.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 07:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I don't care about race, I care about culture and political atmosphere. If the community's attitude is that they should be able to sit on their whereazzes with their hands out, collect from everyone else, that the world 'owes' them an education and whatever job/home/lifestyle that they feel they deserve without any effort on their part - and if they insist on voting for their friends who continually promise to give them everything they want without any expenditure of effort on their part, than - NO.
In other words you don't want to live in a liberal neighborhood. Or a Democrat neighborhood. Or a blue state. Or a country with a Democrat president and congress. What are you doing here? You are one of the minorities in terms of "political atmosphere", who wants to call "the others" the minorities that you don't want to live near. And you also want to hijack this thread and turn it into another rant about all the people who are stealing your hard earned money because they have no personal responsibility. I respect your opinion on that subject, but please leave a few threads for those of us whose universe does not center on bashing liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 07:41 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,197,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I do not believe the answers so far. I think that all of you are just being politically correct.

Even if the people were fine folks who took care of their yards and homes and respected each other, few of you would want to live in a neighboorhood where everyone other than you were a different race or ethnic group. It is against human nature.

There's more to the decision about where to live than the color of neighbors. We are where we are because of its proximity to places we frequent, because of the proximity to friends, because of the size and style and age of the houses and the neighborhood. (And because we can afford it.) A lot of families choose to be in neighborhoods with other families, and there are plenty of neighborhoods in the Sun Belt that are mostly retirees. Most major metropolitan areas have neighborhoods that are primarily gay. To say "well, I'll live there because I want to live in a black/white/Latino/whatever neighborhood" is generally not the only deciding factor.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:10 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The big picture is that cleanliness costs a lot of money. Trash does not disappear by the wave of a magic wand. Undeveloped nations have an untidy appearance because the economic resources do not exist for "cleaning up" the environment. People who grow up there are accustomed to the general aura of an unsightly mess. and amid the chaos of trying to learn to live in a new country, cleaning up the mess is not a very high priority. I'm not excusing it, I'm explaining it. I have, a number of times in the third world, walked from the most abysmally filthy streets, through a doorway into a most amazingly bright and cheerful and spotlessly scrubbed household. People have different priorities.

As far as personal cleanliness is concerned, people in the third world often do not have ready access to an unlimited supply of water to clean themselves. Yet, they still place a very high premium on personal cleanliness. When backpacking around the world, I often felt very self-conscious of the fact that I was the only person on the bus who had not put on freshly laundered clothes that morning. Their clothes are always clean, even though they get washed in cold water on rocks in a river.

Do not think an immigrant next to you on the bus is "dirty" just because you can detect an odor. First of all, deodorant is not a cleaning agent, and using it does not make you "clean". (It does the opposite.) Second, many people and their clothing and their homes smell like what they eat, and people whose family diet or cuisine is different from yours might very well have a detectable odor, but that does not mean they are not clean.

And finally, has it occurred to you that daily bathing is not necessary, but is just something that Americans do out of acculturation and habituation, and when you think you need a shower, it is not because you have become unclean, but because you need to recharge your personal sense that you have just taken a shower, which in our culture arises at least daily.
When I think of 'clean' and 'dirty' people, I also think of an attitude/lifestyle that accompanies it. Do they have parties a lot? Blast their music all night? Have drunken brawls on the lawn? Operate a drug or prostitution house? Is the man a creep who hits on you and watches you out the window when you're sunbathing or gardening?

Sorry-I have a problem with dirty people. Lived in apartments since I've been on my own, and one a few years back was great place-then some dirty scrubby people who smelled bad moved in and the building became infested with bugs.

Clean or not, I just don't want to smell anothers BO. But it's something we have to live with.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:03 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
The neighborhood I am moving to is mostly white but I like the diversity in age, class, race, etc that I have seen while walking or driving around there. There is a good mix of old, young, white, Asian, Hispanic, etc there. I do not remember seeing many black people but there must be some there. I do not care what race or age (or religion or sexual orientation) my neighbors are as long as they are courteous, quiet, and keep their properties in good shape.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:52 PM

61 posts, read 166,913 times
I hate threads like this because one is supposed to come here & give a politically correct answer but I wont, I'll just say it as I see it.

I once lived among Asians (the Chinese type of Asians not Indians) & they cooked pungent /foul smelling dishes I was not accustomed to. I wont even go on about how I considered these "dishes" "pets" not food. So, no I will not do that to myself again!

While I'm not racist, I'd rather live in my white surbubia where everything is familiar & I understand all the unwritten rules. I have frends of all races though, they visit me here & I visit them so I'm not racist.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:08 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,456 times
I think the whole "living amongst our own" seems very simplistic, especially to only look at it in terms of race/ethnicity. I'm Hispanic, and my family immigrated already quite middle class (my father is a physics professor and my mother is now a nurse practitioner) so we have done quite well in this country. It's not a new concept the most of the Latino immigration in the country skews lower class. I may share a common ethnicity with poorer Latinos, but there are social mores (such as having multiple children at a young age or adulating/being gangbangers for example) that I do not care to be around nor do I want my future children to see them as a representation of what all Latinos are supposed to be like. For the most part since I'm quite culturally American at this point, I tend to view "my kind" as people who share similar socioeconomic ideologies as mine. An extension of "my kind" are Latinos with the same types of middle class values I have. When I want to teach my future kids about their heritage, I'll take them back to my grandparents' house where my father grew up.

Last edited by simpleharmonicmotion; 05-30-2009 at 05:18 PM..

Old 05-30-2009, 05:39 PM

61 posts, read 166,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
I think the whole "living amongst our own" seems very simplistic, especially to only look at it in terms of race/ethnicity. I'm Hispanic, and my family immigrated already quite middle class (my father is a physics professor and my mother is now a nurse practitioner) so we have done quite well in this country. It's not a new concept the most of the Latino immigration in the country skews lower class. I may share a common ethnicity with poorer Latinos, but there are social mores (such as having multiple children at a young age or adulating/being gangbangers for example) that I do not care to be around nor do I want my future children to see them as a representation of what all Latinos are supposed to be like. For the most part since I'm quite culturally American at this point, I tend to view "my kind" as people who share similar socioeconomic ideologies as mine. An extension of "my kind" are Latinos with the same types of middle class values I have. When I want to teach my future kids about their heritage, I'll take them back to my grandparents' house where my father grew up.

I agree 100%. Its not a racial issue but a class issue. In that case, I'd live with anyone of the same class as me regardless of race!!

Old 05-30-2009, 05:49 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,000 times
i think that's a cool thing about the south (speaking specifically about VA & NC) from my understanding in New england, a black person can bring down the property values. In NC & VA it's about the quality of the person, not the neighborhood. Neighborhoods are separated by class/values sometimes even age, but not by race. Even if one race dominates a neighborhood.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:48 AM

943 posts, read 3,161,112 times
I think the politically correct answers so far show ignorance about human nature. It is not just a class issue. If you want to not have any social contact with your neighbors at all then moving onto a street where everyone else is a different race (but the same class) may be alright. But if you want to have a friendly sociable neighborhood then a more homogeneous neighborhood is better.

The street where my brother lives on is all white and professional class. Everyone is somewhat similar in profession, income, outlook, class and color. Everyone knows each other, there are block parties, visiting out in the yards and a pleasant what can I do for my neighbor feeling in the air. Also because everyone knows each other they are more careful what they do to their yards and maintain their homes. On the street I live on which is a United Nations, most of us are the same class but because 70% of the street's residents do not speak english well, we are isolated from each other. The immigrants do not speak to each other easily either because they are from different parts of the world. I wish I lived on my brothers street.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:45 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,690,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In other words you don't want to live in a liberal neighborhood. Or a Democrat neighborhood. Or a blue state. Or a country with a Democrat president and congress. What are you doing here? You are one of the minorities in terms of "political atmosphere", who wants to call "the others" the minorities that you don't want to live near. And you also want to hijack this thread and turn it into another rant about all the people who are stealing your hard earned money because they have no personal responsibility. I respect your opinion on that subject, but please leave a few threads for those of us whose universe does not center on bashing liberals.

I was indicating what sort of neighborhoods I had lived in, and the attitudes that those indicators extended to neighborhoods, as to whether or not it was comfortable for me. I was also emphasizing that color is not/was not an issue with me; but that political and social attitudes such as indicated in others' posts - issues that determine the way of life, as in multiple children at young ages, gang activity, the refusal or inability to not only respect their own property but others' property, etc - are directly related to whether or not I feel comfortable there. Sorry if you don't like my opinions based on my personal experiences, but that is what the OP asked for. I was quite comfortable living in a primarily black neighborhood where we all worked two and three jobs, where we had block parties and even formed our own political action group to do everything from rename our own streets (when 911 required it) to keeping a cement plant from locating at the end of our street. So please don't assume you know my motivations, because you so obviously don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates