Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:52 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
It is partly because all of the rich pigs have taken everything, and so many have nothing. the rich pigs will be sorry when they meet their maker, though.
Huh? We have the richest poor people in the world.
Measured by standards of 50 years ago we have no
poverty at all today in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 07:33 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,054,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How and why did America become a nation of thieves? Houses and cars are always locked. Theft protection and security systems are everywhere. Nobody is taken at their word. Enhanced IDs. Twice as many police per capita as a couple of generations ago. One out of 50 adult males in jail, one out of 20 was or will be.

And this is "our way of life" our soldiers are fighting to defend? How did things go so horribly wrong?
It can be summed up in a couple of sentences : A willful and continuing disregard for God and his absolute moral laws so one can live as he/she likes , which always involves a pursuit of narcissism thru many forms of hedonism. In short, putting SELF on the throne instead of the Creators rightful place . The Founders of this once great nation got it right , but in modern times, its people dont want it and instead opt for entitlement , twisting Freedom Laws to engage in immoral lifestyles , and seeing human life as cheap and without intrinsic value.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:05 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,714,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
It can be summed up in a couple of sentences : A willful and continuing disregard for God and his absolute moral laws so one can live as he/she likes , which always involves a pursuit of narcissism thru many forms of hedonism. In short, putting SELF on the throne instead of the Creators rightful place . The Founders of this once great nation got it right , but in modern times, its people dont want it and instead opt for entitlement , twisting Freedom Laws to engage in immoral lifestyles , and seeing human life as cheap and without intrinsic value.
Right! and as I was reading on a different thread, someone stated we value individual rights over the rights of the republic or the commonwealth, quoting some words of the forefathers 'to form a more perfect union' and indicating our responsibilities to our neighbors OVER ourselves..however, they did put in their greatest words LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS, in that order for a reason. The infringement of any of those, inherently are harmful to our neighbors and overall harmful to our Country.

When we no longer believe in a morality, or a power greater than ourselves, then we no longer respect ourselves or each other, and crime becomes....well..a way of life.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:40 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,054,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Right! and as I was reading on a different thread, someone stated we value individual rights over the rights of the republic or the commonwealth, quoting some words of the forefathers 'to form a more perfect union' and indicating our responsibilities to our neighbors OVER ourselves..however, they did put in their greatest words LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS, in that order for a reason. The infringement of any of those, inherently are harmful to our neighbors and overall harmful to our Country.

When we no longer believe in a morality, or a power greater than ourselves, then we no longer respect ourselves or each other, and crime becomes....well..a way of life.
Exactly ! We set ourselves up as the Divine of our lives (and people better be tolerant of whatever I do !)

Old 06-13-2009, 11:14 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,526 times
Why don't you all just stop parsing words and admit that you despise free thinking and hold individuality to some sort of lower moral standard?

Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,328,525 times
Quote:
This is an excellent point! I think it goes to the heart of the matter, both as far as the politcal points and the theivery points. We are a nation of folks who feel as though life should 'always feel good'. Guess what...it doesn't, nor should it. Life is hard, is can be painful. We cannot have joy without sorrow. We cannot have appreciation without effort.

I am tired of everyone trying to 'make sure everyone has everything' and 'that everything is fair and equal'. It's not. Life is not. Just look around. Everyone is not born equally as handsome, equally as bright, nor equally as athletically gifted.

If you don't have, and you want,..try earning it! Not stealing it or begging the government for it...how about that?

Stop wallowing in drugs and self pity, and pull yourself up by the bootstraps, like our grandparents did. Back during the depression, men didn't sit around and collect welfare, or cry they could not find a job. They moved out to Colorado, leaving their families for a while because that is what needed to be done, and built the Hoover Dam!
This is indeed an needed ideal (no intent to sound like Dr Suess I swear) in any civilization. And I can agree that this kind of thinking has its place. But in this very country there are around 400 billionaires and 40 million people in need. This would be at the opposite end of the scale from what you just proposed.

Give me a dam to build. That's the difference between our grand father's generation and out own. There is no dam to build - the boots don't have straps like they did then. The population was half what it is now, there was far more agriculture and people actually bought stuff that their fellow Americans made - we weren't addicted to our dependence on other nations like we are now. The system then wasn't built on 80 years of rapid technologocal revolution like it is now. In other words, their system hadn't become the out of control beast that it is now. What we are in now is a result of these changes. This is the outcome of a monetary system where EVERYTHING can be taken care of with money, and with that security blanket gone there will be a lot of whiners.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:50 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Back during the depression, men didn't sit around and collect welfare, or cry they could not find a job. They moved out to Colorado, leaving their families for a while because that is what needed to be done, and built the Hoover Dam!
That's not what ALL men did. Many men (and their families) died from the privation or the drudgery of that glorious era that you cherish with heart-stirring fondness.

At Hoover Dam (which is not in Colorado), 112 men were killed by the dangerous working conditions, which the contractors refused to remedy, in spite of strikes. The entire project was paid for with tax money, including the wages of the workers, none of whom "volunteered" to build a dam.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-13-2009 at 12:00 PM..

Old 06-13-2009, 11:58 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,526 times
Quote:
That's not what ALL men did. Many men (and their families) died from the privation or the drudgery of that glorious era that you cherish with heart-stirring fondness.
And most of those who did work only worked because the government had programs to send them to work.

If you were to listen to some you'd think immorality and slothfulness were recent inventions.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:

At Hoover Dam (which is not in Colorado), 112 men were killed by the dangerous working conditions, which the contractors refused to remedy, in spite of strikes. The entire project was paid for with tax money, including the wages of the workers, none of whom "volunteered" to build a dam.
Well, I don't think I said ALL men did that, I was stating an example...I never stated I was fond of it either...I would not want my husband to have left me for five years...but if he had to in order to put food on the table, then that is what we would do. Why do you insist on putting words into peoples mouths that were never uttered? If you recall, millionaires from that ere, also (read as greedy folks that ALSO lived in that time) threw themselves out of windows because they tied up all their money in the stock markets and then blew it - so not just poor suffered. There were also average Joe's who helped their neighbors put food on the tables, extended store credit to their neighbors in need for necessities and other neighborly like, proud to be American-like behaviors we don't see today. It did not become a Nation Of Thieves to the extend we have today - even with the plenty we have now- relatively speaking.

Yes, I realize Hoover Dam is not in Colorado...I meant to state Colorado RIVER...my bad...shorter than stating on the Border of Arizona / Nevada... and actually 96 were actually killed during the building of the dam. And the majority of the cost of the Boulder Canyon project has now been repaid to the Federal Treasury as of 1985. A green source of energy....by the way. So are you saying the workers were drafted? They all could have 'quit' like so many do today when they don't like their job....but they had resposibilities at home. I am in no way saying that empoyers should not make safer work environments so please don't try to place those words in my mouth either. and my sources are http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/History/storymain.html

Old 06-14-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
And most of those who did work only worked because the government had programs to send them to work.

If you were to listen to some you'd think immorality and slothfulness were recent inventions.
I never said that....what I have said is that the Government should STOP taxing corporations to DEATH and forcing them to make corporate decision based on tax penalties and structure and ALLOW the free markets to FUNCTION AS FREE MARKETS and only then will there actually BE JOBS! I don't WANT the government to be the single largest employer in the country as it currently is today.

Along with that, I do feel that coporations need to be MORALLY responsible to the communities the reside in. But the government cannot make them so. There used to be a time when folks were loyal to their companies because their companies were good to them. Then came high taxes, corporate abuse, Union abuse, legistative abuse of power with ridiculous oppressive regulation on corporations in unreasonable timeframes....then everything has become combative and a game of who can grab the most money out the quickest. No one wins at that game....least of all, the employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates