Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:16 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,996 times

Advertisements

You two need to take it elsewhere...ya know...getting us way off topic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
No, actually, it is on topic. RV says a nation is, by definition, a nation of thieves, it if does not have a code of laws that conforms exactly with his belief in a creator. I, in turn, debunked the legitimacy of the link between that belief and the fabric of our society, urging us to go elsewhere in our quest for an explanation of why we are a nation of thieves.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, actually, it is on topic. RV says a nation is, by definition, a nation of thieves, it if does not have a code of laws that conforms exactly with his belief in a creator. I, in turn, debunked the legitimacy of the link between that belief and the fabric of our society, urging us to go elsewhere in our quest for an explanation of why we are a nation of thieves.
LOL...OK...carry on then!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:47 AM

"When righteous people suffer and wicked people flourish, we begin to ask why."
---Susan Neiman

Old 06-17-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
"When righteous people suffer and wicked people flourish, we begin to ask why."
---Susan Neiman
I am flourishing and consider myself a far far cry from wicked. I am , however a God fearing, hard working, conservative, who lives out my beliefs to the best of my abilities on a daily basis.

So, we may ask why, buy you/me/we may not always like the anwers....

Old 06-17-2009, 12:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
2 things.
we dont do punishment
we dont do parenting.
other than that we are just fine.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
I am flourishing and consider myself a far far cry from wicked. I am , however a God fearing, hard working, conservative, who lives out my beliefs to the best of my abilities on a daily basis.

So, we may ask why, buy you/me/we may not always like the anwers....
I just double checked, and no, I did not inadvertently slip the word "all" into that quote. So you must have misread it.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:03 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Huh? We have the richest poor people in the world.
Measured by standards of 50 years ago we have no
poverty at all today in America.
We also have a good portion of the rest of the World's poor too, we don't know who they are and they came uninvited. What do you do if you need a basic thing like food but have none? You steal it.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I would say that when this cpountry has gotten to a point that 50% pay no income tax and 69% get more serfices from governamnt than they pay ;thigns are getting too centralised.Too many p[eople are addicted to or can't survie without governamtn provided entitlements and the control they have over thier lives.Its like a ball and chain around their and their chidrens necks they don't feel.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I would say that when this cpountry has gotten to a point that 50% pay no income tax and 69% get more serfices from governamnt than they pay ;thigns are getting too centralised.Too many p[eople are addicted to or can't survie without governamtn provided entitlements and the control they have over thier lives.Its like a ball and chain around their and their chidrens necks they don't feel.
That statistic has nothing whatsoever to do with the issue you extracted from it. Let me paint you a picture. 50% of the population lives in poverty, with barely enough to live on. One percent has almost all of the money, and pays no taxes because it's all in Cayman Island banks. The remaining 49% pays all the income taxes, because they make over $200 a day. See, it has nothing to do with those nasty imaginary entitlement monsters that you look for under your bed every night before you go to sleep. About 20% of all earners are retirees, who barely squeak by on their tax-free benefits. Another 20% is occasional workers (such as students) who have to file to get back the interest-free loan that the government helped itself to at gunpoint as withholding tax. The rest of them are young minimum-wage families, whose personal exemptions exceeded their income. NONE of them are well-off wage earners who have figured out how to make you pay their taxes for them. Except those with Cayman Island Bank accounts, so if you want to look under your bed for goblins tonight, see if you see any Cayman Island bank books under there. And stop blaming it on single moms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates