Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 04:55 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,749 times

Advertisements

I know some people who are not school educated, but are some of the most intelligent and interesting people I know. I do not think the only educated people are school educated, I think being educated by the "world" is also an education. Sometimes what you learn in school has nothing to do in life.

Sometimes laziness can be misinterpreted, meaning they could also be deflated (for a lack of a better word) by trying and not getting anywhere. I have had my time in life, (I am school educated) where I could not get any work and I was deflated, I felt that no matter what I do nothing will come about. I was not lazy, I was frustrated.

Unskilled, how? Everyone has a skill. It is just applying that skill to make an income, that can be difficult.

I don't think it is fair to say most people. A lot of people have been put in this situation, by other means that have nothing to do with them.

I remember when a high school diploma was all you needed to get a GOOD paying job. Now a high school diploma on it's own means nothing. You need College or University, what about the people who can not afford that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 06:52 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
I remember when a high school diploma was all you needed to get a GOOD paying job. Now a high school diploma on it's own means nothing. You need College or University, what about the people who can not afford that?
At present there are millions college graduated folks without jobs. College doesn't guarantee employment any longer. There are even unemployed people with PhD diplomas.
The problem is that many in this country believe that being employed by itself is a great life achievement, that only the best in society are worthy of.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:57 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
At present there are millions college graduated folks without jobs. College doesn't guarantee employment any longer. There are even unemployed people with PhD diplomas.
The problem is that many in this country believe that being employed by itself is a great life achievement, that only the best in society are worthy of.
Oh I won't disagree with you on that. I was just making a point that back in the day a high school diploma was all you needed for a good paying job. Now you need more. I understand very educated people are out of work today, but that is a different post.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:20 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
I know some people who are not school educated, but are some of the most intelligent and interesting people I know. I do not think the only educated people are school educated, I think being educated by the "world" is also an education. Sometimes what you learn in school has nothing to do in life.

Sometimes laziness can be misinterpreted, meaning they could also be deflated (for a lack of a better word) by trying and not getting anywhere. I have had my time in life, (I am school educated) where I could not get any work and I was deflated, I felt that no matter what I do nothing will come about. I was not lazy, I was frustrated.

Unskilled, how? Everyone has a skill. It is just applying that skill to make an income, that can be difficult.

I don't think it is fair to say most people. A lot of people have been put in this situation, by other means that have nothing to do with them.

Take out loans. Anyone can go to college, and rarely do people come out of it debt free. Financial aide is available to anyone (it is is very easy to get if you come from a low-income family) so a lack of money isn't really an excuse.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:13 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,401 times
Default It takes a higher IQ to get through College

While the unemployment rate for college educated people is near a record high, it is still only about four percent and one third of the rate for people who just have a high school diploma.

I find the responses so far to be excellent I gave some reps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post

Old 06-27-2009, 05:26 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Some friends were over at the house the other day and we were talking about the underclass (poor people). One of them works for social services and has got harsher in her tone about the disadvantaged as she has experienced more of the so called real people. She says, "it almost makes you want to vote republican"
The general feeling of our group was that 90% of the underclass (poor people) are a combination of lazy, stupid or unskilled. It was mostly their fault not society or business (employers). 20-30 years ago one could be a lazy uneducated person and do alright because there were plenty of jobs for everyone in manufacturing and strong unions, today, if you have no skills you will be poor forever. Agree?
Kind of a mean thing to say don't you think? Not all poor people are stupid and lazy. It takes a pretty smart person to learn how to scam the welfare department into sending them welfare when they don't need it. I saw a woman on one of those talk shows who was poor but had figured out a way to SCAM the IRS by loaning her kids to a friend to add on his tax return as dependents. She got paid by this person for the loan of her kids plus she too claimed them and hadn't been caught. I suppose at some point the IRS will catch up with her. A poor person who figures out a way to steal someone's identity and gret away with it...that's not a stupid person...it is a bad person but far from stupid.

I have a friend who was dirt poor and wanted badly to go to college. She worked a full time job that didn't really pay well and went to college part time. She was Dean's list. Did she get a good paying job..not really but to call her stupid would be an injustice.

When I first left my husband, I found a job that was only paying me $150.00 a week clear. This was back in the 1980's. I was having a really tough time making ends meet and was finding it difficult to earn enough money to pay rent, buy food, and keep my apartment heated. My ex was only paying me $50.00 a week child support and my rent was $250.00 a month. I went to a government agency to ask for help with my heating expenses and was told that I couldn't get assistance because I had a car?? The woman who spoke to me looked at me like I had two heads. I guess people who work and are poor are not suppose to ask for help? Am I stupid or lazy...NO.

Your friend who works for the "system" probably needs a break. I would imagine that seeing people in need all the time with some of them falling into that lazy category gets to her. After all you see enough of one thing then all things look the same..know what I mean. The art of social work I would think would be having the ability to determine who is lazy and who actually needs the help. Try to be a little more tolerant of people who truly are in need and firmer with those who appear to be lazy.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:27 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Quote:

GREAT POST!! I so agree with this and just posted almost the exact same opoinion...good for you!!

Old 06-27-2009, 06:15 AM

304 posts, read 904,620 times
I believe if a person is hungry enough to want to change their circumstance they will. I also believe a negative "poor me" attitude rules some folks and they should be called out on it. There isn't a magic pill for prosperity, but if you invest in your community - either monetary or volunteering (each is giving) and if you work on your attitude and relationships (make an effort positively) you will start to see prosperity.

Some people revolve around the world, while other's wait for the world to revolve around them.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:44 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
True. But we're not talking about being rich. We're talking about being poor. That means forgoing basic shelter, food, and other comforts for the family. Unless, of course, one chooses to become an ascetic such as Gandhi.
I am largely an ascetic, and I like it that way. If I wasnt married, and of course have to take my wifes desires into account also, I would live incredibly simply.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:57 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Default Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
The general feeling of our group was that 90% of the underclass (poor people) are a combination of lazy, stupid or unskilled. It was mostly their fault not society or business (employers). 20-30 years ago one could be a lazy uneducated person and do alright because there were plenty of jobs for everyone in manufacturing and strong unions, today, if you have no skills you will be poor forever. Agree?
Most of the people I've met in my 53 yrs exhibit the traits of their family and peers. In my first five years, I lived with my white parents in moderately successful middle class Midwest America. I learned about Godliness, cleanliness, and getting a good education. At eleven, my mother left my father, and we became exposed to urban slums. My classmates were people of different ethnicities and cultures. Most of them were from families of multiple generations of poverty.

I completed my education, including college. My education and Midwestern values gave me access to job opportunities. Many others have not enjoyed the privileges my color and education have made available to me in our historically bigoted society.

Ignorant people are not stupid, nor lazy; they are uninformed. Humans that know their attempts will be met with resistance at best, and raw hatred at worst, have a tendency to not try. It isn't laziness, it's fear.

Until you and your friends go into the neighborhoods and sincerely try to befriend people you know nothing about, your roundtable discussions are nothing more than breathing your own exhaust.

Practice compassion and love for your fellow beings. The rewards are greater than the effort expended, every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates