Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 08:08 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I wouldn't take this thread to seriously, read the OP's thread history.
Does a person receive points for initiating discussion topics? Weekend has been busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 08:23 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Glory B,
I've seen it too. A single mother can live pretty much as well as the middle class. Free education, if they want it. Day care, medical, food and housing. If they choose not to educate themselves, what can you do?

There doesn't seem to be much of an incentive for them to do it differently, when they can do just as well on the assistance programs. I'm thankfull for those children, if it has to come out of my tax dollars, oh well.
You can't change the system or carry the weight of the problem on your own shoulders.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Does a person receive points for initiating discussion topics? Weekend has been busy.

Yep, you know what they say about an idle mind?

Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
After I graduated, I got a job that couldn't cover my rent, my food, and my car payment. So I got a second job. Never really considered doing anything else.
I know what you are talking about, and did something similar. No one gave me a break, and I worked hard, but now, this is a different time. There arent many jobs you can live off while you go to school. Most unskilled jobs are very low pay.

I work in my field professionally, but I work the hours no one wants. It keeps me employed. I drive very far to my job too, something other people have told me they wouldn't ever considered doing. That is because they didn't get desperate enough.

But now, there is a huge gap between unskilled labor and professional work. There was a time when you could make a livable wage and get by on it without being a professional. Not now. Not when Taco Bell pays $7 an hour, or Kohl's pays $6.25 an hour. Tell me how anyone going to school can get by on that kind of money.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Glory B,
I've seen it too. A single mother can live pretty much as well as the middle class. Free education, if they want it. Day care, medical, food and housing. If they choose not to educate themselves, what can you do?

There doesn't seem to be much of an incentive for them to do it differently, when they can do just as well on the assistance programs. I'm thankfull for those children, if it has to come out of my tax dollars, oh well.
You can't change the system or carry the weight of the problem on your own shoulders.

I am a single mom, and when I went back to school after divorcing, I didn't get anything free. That's a big fat myth that someone can get everything free because they are a single parent. No way. I never got free. I paid for everything, and still am. No one gave me my degrees. No one.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
But you SHOULD know you can repay it. Go into college with a plan. If you major in english and just hope you will find a job you might never pay back your loans. If you go in majoring in Engineering, Computer Science, whatever you are pretty much guaranteed a good salary.

You aren't with it. There are so many with Computer Science degrees who cannot find jobs unless they go overseas.

I would not advise anyone to go into computers in college. The jobs are just not there. This trend has been going on for a long time.

Engineering...depends on which kind.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:42 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
You aren't with it. There are so many with Computer Science degrees who cannot find jobs unless they go overseas.

I would not advise anyone to go into computers in college. The jobs are just not there. This trend has been going on for a long time.

Engineering...depends on which kind.
Truth is....we probably can't compete in the global market with a degree in computers. The catch up may be brutal.

At the same time, if we have any confidence at all in American ingenuity, perhaps we can retake that market. Not sure. What do you think?

Old 06-27-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I am a single mom, and when I went back to school after divorcing, I didn't get anything free. That's a big fat myth that someone can get everything free because they are a single parent. No way. I never got free. I paid for everything, and still am. No one gave me my degrees. No one.

You have alot to be proud of. No one helped me either, but my point is,
I can't worry about whose getting what for free. If a few kids eat and have a place to live because of my tax dollars, I'm okay with it. I don't have time to rant over it.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:01 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
I can't worry about whose getting what for free. If a few kids eat and have a place to live because of my tax dollars, I'm okay with it. I don't have time to rant over it.
Exactly.....because it will drain your personal pride in your own accomplishments. I look at paying taxes like paying rent. My rent is elevated due to all the dead beats who skip out without paying and those who do remain here and tear up or vandalize the common areas. It just comes with the territory.

If I carry a few welfare dead beats on my tax dollars....so what? I go to bed every night thankful that I can earn my own living and but by the Grace of God....perhaps I too would be a free loader.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:19 PM

There is some really old advice on this. Some need to realize this isn't 1960 anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates