Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 03:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Anyway, if I needed to liquidate my possessions, I certainly wouldn't spread everything out on my lawn for a yard sale.
Who do you think would pay you more for it? Take your car to a used car lot and see what they offer your for it. Call a furinture store that deals in used furniture and have them come over and make you an estimate.

You might have a few specialty items, like a set of china or a genuine antique, but aside from that, a yard sale is so close to top dollar for major furniture items, it wouldn't be worth the bother to try to sell stuff any other way. Where do you think you can sell a $150 pair of shoes or a $400 overcoat for higher than yard-sale prices? Thrift shops are selling the same stuff for five bucks.

If you have a decent yard sale with a lot of big ticket items, the people who will pay top dollar will be there first thing in the morning offering you the best price you'll ever see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 03:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
no --- not so i know lots of poor guys that are smart industrious, and skilled
but they are married to somebody that really likes to spend & got some rotten kids.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:32 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no --- not so i know lots of poor guys that are smart industrious, and skilled
but they are married to somebody that really likes to spend & got some rotten kids.
You might, but I wouldn't call that 'smart'.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
You might, but I wouldn't call that 'smart'.
i would i knew them they were in fact smart, but codependent and did not know it.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:30 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,167 times
I don't think most people who are "Poor" are somehow lazy or unskilled. Within every economic system sans Communisum, there are people on the top and on the bottom, each equally critical to making the system work. I see plenty of immigrants work with far more gusto and skill than many so-called "Hard Working Middle-Class Americans"

Having said that, and having spent my entire life in what would be classified as "Poor", I can tell you that when it comes to the generational poverty seen in places like the Deep South or the Inner cities, then yeah, I would say there is a large grain of truth to the OP's assertion. Not everyone who is "poor" like that is a bad person or lazy, but a fair amount are.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:03 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I don't think most people who are "Poor" are somehow lazy or unskilled. Within every economic system sans Communisum, there are people on the top and on the bottom, each equally critical to making the system work. I see plenty of immigrants work with far more gusto and skill than many so-called "Hard Working Middle-Class Americans"

Having said that, and having spent my entire life in what would be classified as "Poor", I can tell you that when it comes to the generational poverty seen in places like the Deep South or the Inner cities, then yeah, I would say there is a large grain of truth to the OP's assertion. Not everyone who is "poor" like that is a bad person or lazy, but a fair amount are.
I don't know what your definition of poor is but nobody who works with 'gusto and skill' is poor. I took the OP to mean people who live in poverty. Living in poverty means not being able to produce even what you need to survive.

I noticed that your response referenced being lazy and unskilled. You left out the most important ingredient. That would be intelligence. Business in this society will never be able to use all of its low IQ citizens. The folks who have the intelligence but remain in poverty may be lazy but they are probably few in number.

- Reel

Old 07-05-2009, 09:09 AM

25,707 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Business in this society will never be able to use all of its low IQ citizens.
I like your choice of words there: use. It's perfect because that is what our 'economic system' is good at doing. Using people. More and more each year. And yes, it does take a pretty low IQ to not see it for what it is.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
You might have the causal relationship turned around. Its not that lazy people become poor, but in many cases, poor people become lazy, because their hard work produces no tangible benefits. The harder they work, the deeper into economic despair they fall, so they cease to regard hard work as a road to anything of value. This might be even more true intergenerationally. A child who sees his parents work hard and still remain in relative poverty is unlikely to draw the lesson that hard work is what will raise his economic status.

Work is not what a person does to become rich. It is what a person says he did to become rich.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:21 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,668,599 times
Just do the math ,you can go to e-podunk.com or citi-data city info an get figures for the work force and unemployment % in a given city or county. once you have those numbers you will soon see that most unemployed people are not lazy they are just S- out of luck . 5.1 % of the work force in my city is unemployed. there is an average of 45 new jobs on the job board daily. by my calculation 380 families are not going to ever find employment here. when you multiply that by three (average household size) you can get a more realistic picture or poverty. calling unemployed people lazy, unintelligent or any thing but unfortunate is the most callus thing I can think of . I would challenge the most intelligent, industrious ,bootstraps types to simply quit your job and throw your self in to the fray and see how valuable your work ethic is in this market.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:43 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Some friends were over at the house the other day and we were talking about the underclass (poor people). One of them works for social services and has got harsher in her tone about the disadvantaged as she has experienced more of the so called real people. She says, "it almost makes you want to vote republican"

The general feeling of our group was that 90% of the underclass (poor people) are a combination of lazy, stupid or unskilled. It was mostly their fault not society or business (employers). 20-30 years ago one could be a lazy uneducated person and do alright because there were plenty of jobs for everyone in manufacturing and strong unions, today, if you have no skills you will be poor forever. Agree?
I live in a fairly economically depressed area and there are plenty of poor people around.

Thinking about it, I agree that the two main contributing factors are laziness and stupidity. Both of which there appears to be no shortage. Here in the Beautiful Missouri Ozarks, most people who are inclined to work, even if they have few skills, can generally find some type of gainful employment.

I vote for the lazy and stupid option. Where I live in the Missouri Ozarks and most people, however unskilled, can find gainful employment if they are motivated to work and even marginally trainable.

There are, nevertheless, a huge, HUGE number of people who fnd it much more convenient to sit on their behinds and collect welfare and food stamps and often "disability" instead of bothering to get a real job.

My philosophy is that people who are "poor" have chosen that lifestyle and that there are endless opportunities to improve the quality of life for those who are motivated to do so. Mind you, that may not be the case everywhere (where jobs are non-existant), but it is very true here.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates