Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 01:39 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

I disagree about what "poverty" is. I think that people that are one paycheck away from being homeless are also "poor". They don't have savings to fall back on--they can't afford to save.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 01:51 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I disagree about what "poverty" is. I think that people that are one paycheck away from being homeless are also "poor". They don't have savings to fall back on--they can't afford to save.
Oh, but see, they are stupid, lazy, ignorant, trashy, slimy, good-for-nothing refuse... rather than buying food to put on the table or a pair of shoes at the dollar store for their kid or paying their electric bill, they should have been stashing 'all' that money away. You know, investing it in carbon offset credits or slapping it into a 245601K or something.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:57 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Oh, but see, they are stupid, lazy, ignorant, trashy, slimy, good-for-nothing refuse... rather than buying food to put on the table or a pair of shoes at the dollar store for their kid or paying their electric bill, they should have been stashing 'all' that money away. You know, investing it in carbon offset credits or slapping it into a 245601K or something.
Nice sarcastic post.

Now, what do you suggest as a solution? Take from those who 'have' and give it to them?

Old 07-05-2009, 02:23 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Nice sarcastic post.

Now, what do you suggest as a solution? Take from those who 'have' and give it to them?
Nope, sorry. Any compassion or charity toward others of our species has to be voluntary. Coercion has never and will never work for any significant length of time to improve the overall human condition.

I have read some rather interesting ideas, but they are not worth mentioning because nobody really cares anyway. Most folks care more about their pets than they do other people. That’s just the way it is. And NO, I’m not excluding myself. But at least I recognize it for what it is. Until enough people care and come up with a better way, it won't change. Personally, I see it never changing.

And by the way... nobody really 'has' much of anything: 76 years if you are lucky. Then what do you have? Nothing.

Last edited by ChrisC; 07-05-2009 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: wordy prose...

Old 07-05-2009, 02:38 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This is very wrong. I work in IT and weekly I check on available jobs (just in case). I could quit today and have a job within a week. I know of more than a few companies here in Pittsburgh that are struggling to find good people in IT. And about overseas, that is mostly BS. The ONLY people in IT we have laid off are our overseas contractors. Smart IT workers are in very high demand in the US. To say otherwise shows you don't know anything from real experience and are only parroting what the common (and incorrect) sentiment is.

Engineering is the same way. An Engineer (especially mechanical, chemical and electrical) could graduate today and find a job within a week. I personally know a few people who simply can't find engineers to hire.

There is a whole thread on this in City-Data's Work and Employment Forum called "Anyone Dumb Down Their Resume?"

You need to read this. You are solely basing things on YOUR experiences. I am wondering if you are just trying to be obtuse for the heck of it.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Nice sarcastic post.

Well, let's say you're making budget cuts. You want to cut payroll and lay people off? Start at the TOP, not the bottom. You're saving yourself more money that way, by getting rid of the overpaid staff that aren't really helping the company get anything accomplished. The workers are only following orders from the top--so that's obviously where the problem is.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:14 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Well, let's say you're making budget cuts. You want to cut payroll and lay people off? Start at the TOP, not the bottom. You're saving yourself more money that way, by getting rid of the overpaid staff that aren't really helping the company get anything accomplished. The workers are only following orders from the top--so that's obviously where the problem is.

Management isn't going to do that. They will keep themselves going as long as they can and cut from the bottom. There can be an excess in administration, but they will make those at the bottom do the work of 2 or 3.
I am not agreeing with this, but have seen this in various companies.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:18 PM

Well, if they can't make the hard decisions, then people "with money" shouldn't be complaining about people "without it".

Old 07-05-2009, 04:48 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Nope, sorry. Any compassion or charity toward others of our species has to be voluntary. Coercion has never and will never work for any significant length of time to improve the overall human condition.
Agreed. That's what the whole 'tithing to the church' was supposed to be about. That could have, and should have, been our welfare system. Local in nature, it would give support to those who can't support themselves. Because of local administration, the deadbeats should be weeded out. If we all tithed, we could support roughly 10% of the population who can't make it on their own. Do I tithe? No. Mainly because the government has decided to make the welfare system its own.

Quote:
I have read some rather interesting ideas, but they are not worth mentioning because nobody really cares anyway. Most folks care more about their pets than they do other people. That’s just the way it is. And NO, I’m not excluding myself. But at least I recognize it for what it is. Until enough people care and come up with a better way, it won't change. Personally, I see it never changing.

And by the way... nobody really 'has' much of anything: 76 years if you are lucky. Then what do you have? Nothing.
People care more about their pets because they know them better and the pet won't ********* around like people will. This is, for the most part, an urban problem. I grew up in a small town and you knew everybody and didn't screw anybody around. Living in the city brings about anonyminity, which brings out the worst behavior in people.

It isn't what you 'have' in the way of material goods, either during your life or at the end of it. It's the summation of all the times you've had and people you've met, both good and bad that make up a life. All the junk just makes up an estate sale.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:14 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
This threads still alive and well, it's got a life of it's own.

Last edited by virgode; 07-05-2009 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates