Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 04:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Okay, I was looking to go somewhere new last year. No other company where I'd be working in the same field as I am now was willing to hire me...or at least not at the level of pay I'm already making. I probably checked into 7 or 8 places, and only two let me apply. For less money.
Only 7 or 8? No wonder you couldn't find anything! Send an application into 3-4 companies every day for a week and you will see results. And definitely don't wait until they say they are hiring! The majority of positions are not ever advertised. Companies wait for proactive people to come to them. When I was job hunting I sent out resumes with personalized cover letters to close to 50 companies in a two week period. Guess what? If I stopped at 8 guess what? I wouldn't have a job right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 04:34 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
If my memory serves me right "Bill Gates" started out in a garage.

Many entrepreneurs started out somewhere at some point...generally real small.

Pick up the phone book and open to the yellow pages or the "business" white pages.

They are full of many small business people who work many hrs for a low wage? after all the bills are paid.

I was one of those people like I said.

Problem is that too many are content with a weeks wages and some beer time over the weekend.

If a person is happy with a weeks working and a pay check on friday...good for them.

I was not content with a pay check on friday so went into business and signed the pay checks.

Never went into debt or borrowed any money.

You can be a worker or you can be the boss. To each his own.

Steve

My reference to the Industrial park area was what I saw and being there new many of the people

Old 06-30-2009, 04:50 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,277 times
I don't have the time to read 18 pages of comments so if this has already been posted, I apologize.

The "poor", the "underclass"...whatever you wish to call them is not a static situation. Virtually everybody is poor at one time and works his way through that situation while obtaining education and experience to better himself.

If you could capture all the names of the poor, then do it again ten years later, you would find that very few names match up. People leave the class on their way up; people enter it on their way down.

We wring our hands constantly over "what to do about the poor" when very, very few people are in this situation permanently.

I don't consider it to be a problem worthy of anywhere near the amount attention it gets.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Only 7 or 8? No wonder you couldn't find anything! Send an application into 3-4 companies every day for a week and you will see results. And definitely don't wait until they say they are hiring! The majority of positions are not ever advertised. Companies wait for proactive people to come to them. When I was job hunting I sent out resumes with personalized cover letters to close to 50 companies in a two week period. Guess what? If I stopped at 8 guess what? I wouldn't have a job right now.
Not that many companies in this area to apply at. I'm limited geographically, because I do not drive. And even if I did drive, I might not want to leave the area I've "settled" in. I don't like changing, moving, I like to find a spot and stay in that spot. A nice comfortable groove.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:26 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,020,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
I don't have the time to read 18 pages of comments so if this has already been posted, I apologize.

The "poor", the "underclass"...whatever you wish to call them is not a static situation. Virtually everybody is poor at one time and works his way through that situation while obtaining education and experience to better himself.

If you could capture all the names of the poor, then do it again ten years later, you would find that very few names match up. People leave the class on their way up; people enter it on their way down.

We wring our hands constantly over "what to do about the poor" when very, very few people are in this situation permanently.

I don't consider it to be a problem worthy of anywhere near the amount attention it gets.
This makes sense.

Quote:
Not that many companies in this area to apply at. I'm limited geographically, because I do not drive. And even if I did drive, I might not want to leave the area I've "settled" in. I don't like changing, moving, I like to find a spot and stay in that spot. A nice comfortable groove.
This will be a problem.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:57 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But hye does have a point in that even with teh failure rate the majority of new jobs and much of the wealth in this country is increasingly coming from people who start their own business.Many of them have started businesses and failed only to succeed later. Its just a fact and always has been that people who work for others rarely become wealthy.Small business is by7 far the most increasing area where jobs of all salaries are being created.
This discussion is NOT about devising strategies to enable a few smart people to get rich. They already know how. It is about enabling a LOT (tens of millions) of not-very-smart people to stop being poor. For a person in the cycle of poverty, trying to start your own small business is absolutely the wrongest thing he can possibly do. He will almost certainly fall.

Yes, small businesses create some jobs, but they are more likely to be short term jobs (half of all small businesses fail), and usually have very few benefits.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:32 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
If you shoot yourself in the foot, you can't complain that you have a limp.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:31 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If you shoot yourself in the foot, you can't complain that you have a limp.
It's not reasonable to be a rolling stone. That's not shooting yourself in the foot.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:12 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Quote:
If you could capture all the names of the poor, then do it again ten years later, you would find that very few names match up.
I don't know about that. From what I've seen in the smaller town where I grew up, the underclass is still the underclass, with a few exceptions. Income mobility has been declining in the US over time.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:46 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I don't know about that. From what I've seen in the smaller town where I grew up, the underclass is still the underclass, with a few exceptions. Income mobility has been declining in the US over time.
Where do you get that? Thomas Sowell, from whom I lifted my last post, discusses the "poor" situation at length in at least one of his books. Maybe it was Visions of the Annointed, I can't remember. Mr. Sowell, an economist, is orders of magnitude smarter than I am on this matter but what he writes is easily understandable and makes sense, at least to me.

From my own experience, almost everybody I know was poor at one point. Very few are now. Of course, I am aware of some families who seemed to be mired in the welfare benefits cycle, without which I am almost certain they would do something different. We enable a small underclass by giving people money who have to do nothing whatsoever in return for receiving it. For most (not all!), it is their choice to live that way, not any underlying fault of the system.

I really doubt your last statement that income mobility has been declining. The Forbes 400 list has changed tremendously over the last ten years. I myself went from grinding-poverty poor while in school to probably top 5% of incomes in my lifetime and in the end, I will return to the bottom when that income stops. Overall, income is a poor way to measure wealth. You could be sitting on a bunch of money or land and have very little income for an outsider to measure. I have a person in mind who is sitting on ~$6M worth of land (which she and her husband bought and paid for with thrift and sweat) but has very little cash income from it; in fact she works part time for my wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates