Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 08:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Freedom from want, freedom from worry. I, and anyone else who actually works for a living, earn the income that keeps food in their bellies and a roof over their heads. How much freer can you be? Better than NOT working, and having things handed to you, perhaps winding up in jail, but perhaps not--either way, sucking off the government instead of making one's way independent of them.

Getting to do what you want to do, beholden to no one.
Whew. What a relief. I've been hearing scary rumors lately that a lot of people are worried about losing their jobs. Thank goodness, "anyone else who actually works for a living" has no such fears, and are "beholden to no one", and best of all, when they get up in the morning, "getting to do what they want to do".

Last edited by jtur88; 09-02-2009 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 08:43 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Other people might be--but I don't need to worry. My job's perfectly safe. And it's self-directed too--they actually trust me to know what needs to be done and do it. Imagine that. All because I'm good at what I do.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Other people might be--but I don't need to worry. My job's perfectly safe. And it's self-directed too--they actually trust me to know what needs to be done and do it. Imagine that. All because I'm good at what I do.
There you go--changing your tune again. You said "anyone else who actually works for a living".

By the way, if you're so happy and contended in your workie-workie world, doing what you want and beholden to no one, why did you post this comment in the History Forum's time-machine thread?

Quote:
It would depend on whether I could change history or not. I'd like to make sure that my parents never met, perhaps died from some sort of accident.
You're either a troll, or in serious need of professional help, or both.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:04 AM

If you're good at your job--like I am--you won't have a problem. If you lose your job, you must not be of much value. Sorry about your luck...but you brought it on yourself.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
By the way, if you're so happy and contended in your workie-workie world, doing what you want and beholden to no one, why did you post this comment in the History Forum's time-machine thread?

You're either a troll, or in serious need of professional help, or both.
Changing their past would change my past, and I wouldn't have had to deal with the child abuse for as long as I actually did before fighting back. The present is fine. It's the past and future I don't bother thinking about.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
If you're good at your job--like I am--you won't have a problem. If you lose your job, you must not be of much value. Sorry about your luck...but you brought it on yourself.
You make sweeping categorical statements that apply to everyone, and then we find out, as you try to wiggle off the hook, that your responses are characteristic only of the insanely selfish and narcissistic, and apply only to yourself-self-self-self-self, an echo you will never get tired of hearing. You believe that you are the only person in the world, and what applies to you is a universal truth. You have nothing but contempt for any person whose life has unfolded differently from your own.

Everybody else's luck was brought on by themselves, but your bad luck, oh no, that was somebody else's fault, and your fetal position of choice is to wish they were dead.

OK, you're good at what you do and are a diligent workers, and I can only admire that. But if I needed a person to do a job that required analytical thought, you are the last person I'd hire.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:00 AM

Um...yeah, of course I do.

Do you make statements that apply to other people? How..."controlling" of you. Of course they only apply to me--it shouldn't be any other way, freak.

Some things are things you can change, some things aren't. Some things require time before you can change them. Whichever one fits, you change the things you can, and accept the things you can't. There is no "luck"--you make your own.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:14 PM

25,738 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
There is no "luck"--you make your own.
Hmmm, well, I can't go with that either. The universe is a very chaotic place. Many things happen that you or I have no control over. And it is always possible that these rather random events around us could possibly have an effect on our lives. You can't seriously believe that you have control over everything in the universe? And that things will always go just the way you intended them to?

Old 09-02-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Um...yeah, of course I do.

Do you make statements that apply to other people? How..."controlling" of you. Of course they only apply to me--it shouldn't be any other way, freak.

Yes. I stand up for measures that minimize the economic and social impact on those near the bottom of the scale, even though I would myself never be eligible for any of the benefits. Instead of just advocating measures that promise to benefit me. I oppose sending men to their deaths in senseless wars, even though I could never be called into service. I favor universal health care, even though I am well provided for in that respect. I lobby for better education even though I have no children in school. I am in favor of gay rights, even though I am heterosexual. I applaud Venezuela for giving free heating oil to New Englanders, even though I live in Texas and they've given me nothing. I am a strong advocate of prison reform, even though I have never been arrested, nor has any member of my family.

It is my tax money, and I have a right to exercise and express a preference for how it is distributed and to whose benefit. You may call that "controlling" if you wish.

If I did not harbor such sympathies, I would hate myself and never get a good night's sleep.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:12 PM

Well, I expect--on an Internet forum--that a person speaks for him- or herself only, and doesn't try speaking for others. That's a little megalomaniacal...

By the way, a more rational approach is to realize that the only person who really cares if you live or die is YOU. Then you'll be in better control of your life and better able to adapt to problems. Look out for #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates